About firearms

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Re: About firearms

Postby Paedrig » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:47 am

As far as i know, hand holded firearms where in use during the time of the War of the Roses. I thought the first exemples where used in Western Europe already in the 14th century... :-?
Paedrig
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby DaimosofRedstone » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:55 am

There has been a lively debate in the 1980s(?) about cannons at Agincourt.
The side refuting this did not refute it because there would not have been firearms, but because their was no mentioning of them in official quartermaster reports.
Also Crecy, some 70 years earlier (1348?) saw use of pot-de-fers.
By the 15th there were already 'bombards' in common use, though these had already been used in the 100-years-war. Big, slow-loading cannons in fixed, dug-in positions used to shell castles... well, if by shelling you mean 'throw a really big rock at them while it sounds like the heavens come crushing down'.
The War of the Roses, in the late 15th century, would not be lacking artillery for its absence on the European theatre or the English' ignorance of cannons but, if at all, for a decision by the participants, be it about honor or economics or taste.
DaimosofRedstone
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Postby Paedrig » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:05 am

I would thought the War of the Roses was no war hindered or restricted by honor. :wink: And the english were always a little bit more flexible i think than f. e. the french - remember the important role of longbows, knights who fight unhorsed and under a more strict discipline...).
I also thought that in some battles of the War of the roses were fought also with cannons (but they played still a very secondary role).
Concerning hand holded firearms i do not know - but clearly they were much more less accurate and efficient than the longbows still in use...
Paedrig
Aficionado
Aficionado

Previous

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG