Preview for Night's Watch!

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Preview for Night's Watch!

Postby Carriker » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:39 pm

Hey, all.

We've got a preview of the Night's Watch sourcebook available for you here: http://t.co/uj4I8vRF

The pre-order (including the opportunity to get the PDF on the spot!) goes live soon.
--
Regards,
Joseph Carriker
Developer, Song of Ice & Fire
Green Ronin Publishing
--
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - Jojen Reed, A Dance with Dragons
Carriker
Ronin Joe
Ronin Joe

Re: Preview for Night's Watch!

Postby killjoy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:47 pm

looks great! putting it on my wish list...
killjoy
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Allavandrel » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:09 pm

Congratulations! I look forward to read and use it!
Allavandrel
Bystander
Bystander

Postby ceranko » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:42 am

Looks great guys!
ceranko
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Gurkhal » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:56 am

Awesome! Already hatching ideas for a game up by the Wall. :D
Gurkhal
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Kajani » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:28 am

Of course I am interested too (ignoring the fact that our round did play in the Riverlands). But does anybody know in which way the informations - mainly those about the Others - are "canonical", I mean if it is possible that we will read in future books from the creator of Westeros himself facts that differ a lot?
Kajani
Booster
Booster

Postby Gurkhal » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:53 am

Kajani wrote:Of course I am interested too (ignoring the fact that our round did play in the Riverlands). But does anybody know in which way the informations - mainly those about the Others - are "canonical", I mean if it is possible that we will read in future books from the creator of Westeros himself facts that differ a lot?

If I'm not mistaken everything that Green Ronin Publish is approved by Martin before print, and while he may not pay much mind to mechanical details I don't think that overtly inaccurate information will get through. But I could of course be wrong.
Gurkhal
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Carriker » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:57 am

First, do keep in mind that our books all go through an approval process with George R.R. Martin's people. Which isn't to say they take responsibility for them, but nothing gets through that process that isn't okay with the author, generally speaking.

The Others appendix also includes the following sidebar, which I'll quote for you here and now:
Night's Watch wrote:The Books and This Appendix
To be very clear, this appendix goes well into the terrain of non-canon. That is, the majority of the things described in this section are not taken from the Song of Ice and Fire series, being created for Narrators of the SIFRP game to introduce additional elements of the Others into their game. Though the series does talk about the legends written about the Others in the old and musty libraries of the maesters, and in the stories that goodwives like Old Nan tell their young charges about them, it doesn’t go much into them.

That is too good of a hook for a Narrator not to use, though, so we’ve gone a little into the realm of conjecture to present some speculative story hooks and the “truths” behind them, to give a Narrator a place to start who wishes to extend his or her group’s stories to include these horrors.
The material in this chapter is based primarily on the descriptions and legends of the Others provided in the books. This book expands upon that material in the ways that seem most plausible to offer a range of options for use in a campaign that focuses on the Wall and the struggle against the Others for the lands that lie beyond. George R. R. Martin is still writing, however, so the books yet to come may contradict what has been written here. If that should happen, we remind you again to make fun your primary goal. Use what you like, drop what you don’t, and don’t worry too much if you end up diverging from the canon. Remember, by engaging with Martin’s stories in the form of SIFRP, canon has already changed for your chronicle. Embrace that and run with what makes your stories fun and interesting for your group.

The Others won’t mind at all.
--
Regards,
Joseph Carriker
Green Ronin Publishing
--
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - Jojen Reed, A Dance with Dragons
Carriker
Ronin Joe
Ronin Joe

Postby Kajani » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:27 am

Thanks, that answer my question. Hm, we will see - anyway, i am sure will be looking forward to get this book.
Kajani
Booster
Booster

Postby Pytorb » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:44 pm

Are the stat blocks for the various NPCs, animals, Others, etc. at the Games of Thrones edition power level or the first edition power level?
Pytorb
Booster
Booster

Postby Carriker » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:49 pm

Pytorb wrote:Are the stat blocks for the various NPCs, animals, Others, etc. at the Games of Thrones edition power level or the first edition power level?

Very few of the stat blocks in the Campaign Guide had to be "boosted" in power level - most of them just had elements missing. A few characters - those characters noted as being very powerful or skilled in some way were indeed boosted, but they're by and large in the minority.

There aren't many such characters in the Night's Watch sourcebook, though. The same eye that went over the GoT Edition Campaign Guide stat blocks also went over these (that is to say, mine).
--
Regards,
Joseph Carriker
Green Ronin Publishing
--
Carriker
Ronin Joe
Ronin Joe

Postby Pytorb » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:20 pm

Cool. I will be able to upgrade all my rulebooks to GoT edition as cashflow allows then :-)
Pytorb
Booster
Booster

Postby Gurkhal » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:22 pm

Another reason, at least for me, to look forward to this book is that hopefully there will be rules for bronze weapons because in my mind I am thinking of a campaign set during either the Andal invasion or before it. Should be very different with alot more tribal groupings of First Men active and more local or small scale politics. A single great warrior can literally make or unmake entire (petty) kingdoms.
Gurkhal
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Kajani » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:22 pm

I think that at least could be fixed in a simple way - perhaps either giving the bronze-weapons the poor quality "flaw" or reducing the damage of them when it is appropriate - I would think that a mace did suffer less from this material than a sword...
Kajani
Booster
Booster

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG