A Squire From a Knight's Own House?

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Re: A Squire From a Knight's Own House?

Postby DaimosofRedstone » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:41 am

But don't house Andal-tradition Castles more than one knight, e.g. household knights?
Aren't those able to take on squires?
DaimosofRedstone
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Postby Zorbeltuss » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:48 am

If they can afford it, yeah.

But ideally, you'll want your sons off squiring elsewhere, often for the most prestigious Knight you can find, for reasons explained above.
Zorbeltuss
Devotee
Devotee

Postby DaimosofRedstone » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:17 pm

I know the example i will bring smashes my case because it is so over the top, but technically ALL of the Kingsguards, who are considered archetypically knights, are household knights to the royal family.
DaimosofRedstone
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Postby Carriker » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:36 pm

Paedrig wrote:But i think in reality the difference between "been squire at a castle" or "beeing fostered by the house which rules the castle" might not be very big.

But you aren't squired to a castle. You're squired to a specific knight. Where that knight goes, so do you. And the educational focus is different. A fostered boy may be taught to start handling arms, but most of his training is in etiquette, recognizing House heraldry and the like. A squire may or may not be noble, but he's a servant to the knight he serves, exchanging service for training in the arts of war.
--
Regards,
Joseph Carriker
Developer, Song of Ice & Fire
Green Ronin Publishing
--
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - Jojen Reed, A Dance with Dragons
Carriker
Ronin Joe
Ronin Joe

Postby Paedrig » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:34 am

But at least for a squire of high heritage his service would (or vat least should) incorporate exactly these things - heraldy, manners etc.
Beeing a squire did not only mean learning the arts of war - a knight is much more than this (at least as the ideal which stands behind knighthood). And a squire (at least a noble one) should leanr much more.

Of course beeing a squire of a lowborn knight or even a hedge knight is a whole different thing, but for boys of high heritage...
Paedrig
Aficionado
Aficionado

Previous

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG