Dragon Age Box Set 3

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

Re: Dragon Age Box Set 3

Postby shonuff » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:46 pm

They've never really had an active presence on this forum, or at least not in a long time.
shonuff
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby MacGrein » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:29 am

How many people works in the Green Ronin - AGE sector ?
How many behind the Dragon Age?
The Cake...
...is a lie
MacGrein
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Loswaith » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:32 pm

Likely around only around 10-15 people for the entire staff of green ronin. While I doubt they dedicate anyone to just work on Dragon Age, they will would likely still have a team that works on the dragon age line (to guess some 3-4 people) while working on other stuff as well.
- Loswaith
Henceforth mortal, remember...
Loswaith
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Dystopian Dream » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:23 am

I think with the prep for gencon in full swing, we won't see many updates for DA. That, and I do believe Will Hindmarch is at Shared Worlds right now.
Dystopian Dream
Bystander
Bystander

Postby NickMiddleton » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:28 am

Loswaith wrote:Likely around only around 10-15 people for the entire staff of green ronin. While I doubt they dedicate anyone to just work on Dragon Age, they will would likely still have a team that works on the dragon age line (to guess some 3-4 people) while working on other stuff as well.

As of last Novembers "summit" there were eleven people working for Green Ronin - and not many of them were full time on GR IIRC. See http://greenronin.com/about.php

Cheers,

NDM
NickMiddleton
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Nikchick » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:18 pm

Will Hindmarch is the only person dedicated to Dragon Age-only as his staff position and Will has had other personal obligations this spring and summer (for example, his wife broke her foot and he needed to take her to and from work every day while she recovered) and as Dystopian Dream correctly mentioned, he's currently at Shared Worlds, all of which cuts into his "hang out on the forums" time.

Meanwhile the rest of the GR crew has been attending more conventions this year, as well as taking personal time off for the first time in a couple of years. Pramas and I have done a ton of travel already this summer and August and September look to be about the same. It's just the way it goes during convention season (usually) and since this year everyone also took time off for family vacations, work hours have been seriously compressed.

As for the spam issue, we brought on a couple of college interns to help us take care of things like banning spammers and deleting posts, as well as answering (or at least correctly routing) email that comes through the web contact forms but getting them up to speed and through the backlog has been slower going than if any of the experienced staffers were handling it... it's a work in progress.

None of this means we've abandoned you guys or that we don't care, just that we're stretched thin and focused on other things (like finishing up products and making sure our big convention appearances work out correctly). We'll be back with more vigor once convention/vacation/moving-house season winds down. :)
Nikchick
Mean Ronin
Mean Ronin

Postby Andferne » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:12 pm

So no news about Set 3?
The world still needs Heroes
Andferne
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Nikchick » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:48 pm

Andferne wrote:So no news about Set 3?

I defer to Will on that one. He has the most up-to-date information. I've been out of the office for 18 of the last 30 days and got home less than 24 hours ago. It's going to take me a bit to catch up (and GenCon prep and shipping is top of my To Do list). :)
Nikchick
Mean Ronin
Mean Ronin

Postby shonuff » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:07 pm

Andferne wrote:So no news about Set 3?

I'm guessing if it hasn't been put on the GR home page, then there isn't any... :)
shonuff
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby MacGrein » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:16 pm

Good to hear that, thanks Nikchick!
I always find it very cool this kind of approach from the Staff members.
This gives some notion that not everything is about making some profit, but it's a hobby WITH profit! And that everybody here is a GM/Player/Enthusiast united by the RPG and (various) Scenarios.

Looking forward for the Gencon!
The Cake...
...is a lie
MacGrein
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Bardwulf » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:57 pm

Thanks for the communication. It is appreciated.
Check out my Dragon Age Roleplay Videos here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFB0A772821BDAF07

My Creative Updates Blog: www.robert-james-freemantle.blogspot.com

"The revealed mystery of hidden history"
Bardwulf
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Scott McFarland » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:20 am

So.... Will Hindmarch, please step up to the microphone.
Scott McFarland
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby shonuff » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:01 pm

Scott McFarland wrote:So.... Will Hindmarch, please step up to the microphone.

I'd rather him keep working on it than come here and post: "Hey guys, thanks for your support. We here at Green Ronin are really excited about this project and are working really hard, but we don't have any news at the moment. We're almost finished, but we're waiting on approvals and the whole process is jumping through a bunch of hoops..."
shonuff
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Admiral Yacob » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:39 pm

I might be alone here but I'd rather have an update on Adventure Set 2 as my campaign has been on hold since we finished with the last of the written adventures and my players urgently want that new adventure book so our campaign can resume. If we get any update, can it include something about that? Thanks :-)
Admiral Yacob
Booster
Booster

Postby Zaki » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:44 pm

Admiral Yacob wrote:I might be alone here but I'd rather have an update on Adventure Set 2 as my campaign has been on hold since we finished with the last of the written adventures and my players urgently want that new adventure book so our campaign can resume. If we get any update, can it include something about that? Thanks :-)

How about making your own adventure? Just a thought
For the Maker shall be her bacon and her shield
Zaki
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Saisei » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:09 am

Or using one of the many pre-made adventures on here. Or using and converting old adventures.
Saisei
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Barbarian Axeman » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:56 am

Admiral Yacob wrote:I might be alone here but I'd rather have an update on Adventure Set 2 as my campaign has been on hold since we finished with the last of the written adventures and my players urgently want that new adventure book so our campaign can resume. If we get any update, can it include something about that? Thanks :-)

You 're not alone! :wink:
Barbarian Axeman
Bystander
Bystander

Postby shonuff » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:14 pm

Zaki wrote:

How about making your own adventure? Just a thought

A lot of GMs don't have time to create adventures/campaigns entirely from scratch. Pre-made quests/campaigns also provide adventure seeds and background information that can fuel GM-made content. Also, continued content is required to keep an active user base.

One of the issues that I have is that all of the official content is related to Ferelden; what about the rest of Thedas? The new adventure book is supposed to take place in the Deep Roads, both 1) the easiest part of Thedas to create content for and 2) the part of Thedas least likely to have the difficult choices of Dragon Age. Also, I doubt a Deep Roads quest series would deal overly much with the most interesting parts (IMO): the Lost Thaigs and red lyrium.
shonuff
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Elfie » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:35 am

shonuff wrote:One of the issues that I have is that all of the official content is related to Ferelden; what about the rest of Thedas?

You mean like the Autumn Falls in the back of the Set 2 GM Guide? ;-)

Also, I do a mix of pre-made and free-form. It is a HUGE help to have the pre-made stuff available to fill in the gaps when I just can't come up with something before the next session. And I always re-work them to fit into the greater narrative. Sometimes I just can't come up with 6-8 hours of original material every-other-week.
Elfie
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Postby shonuff » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:35 am

Elfie wrote:
shonuff wrote:One of the issues that I have is that all of the official content is related to Ferelden; what about the rest of Thedas?

You mean like the Autumn Falls in the back of the Set 2 GM Guide? ;-)

I stand corrected... so it's 1 for like 7. :)
shonuff
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Admiral Yacob » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:18 am

Elfie wrote:Also, I do a mix of pre-made and free-form. It is a HUGE help to have the pre-made stuff available to fill in the gaps when I just can't come up with something before the next session. And I always re-work them to fit into the greater narrative. Sometimes I just can't come up with 6-8 hours of original material every-other-week.

This is how I play. The problem is my campaign reached a good conclusion point (and yes, I have used both unofficial and official adventure sources) and my players still want us to continue with the characters but I don't have a good springboard to continue the story. I have writers block and not nearly enough time to think of new adventures to start a new campaign so my hope was to use that to get us started with a Deep Roads campaign...
Admiral Yacob
Booster
Booster

Postby MacGrein » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:47 am

High Level Characters and No more ideas?

Throw in a Tevinter Imperium Invasion-War
Make them attack Orlais, and the [country] wants to join in.
So you have to choose a side, since it's something very important to all of Thedas.

Or start a Blight.
The Cake...
...is a lie
MacGrein
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby shonuff » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:51 pm

MacGrein wrote:High Level Characters and No more ideas?

Throw in a Tevinter Imperium Invasion-War
Make them attack Orlais, and the [country] wants to join in.
So you have to choose a side, since it's something very important to all of Thedas.

Or start a Blight.

For me, the majority of the reason that I like Dragon Age is the setting. So while any campaign deviates from canon, I would like to stay as close as possible, and having to create what are (most likely IMO) major players in Dragon Age 3 makes me a little hesitant.
shonuff
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby MacGrein » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:33 am

... I think this explain why so many GM/Players wait so much for new Scenario Content before going on their adventures...
Did your players already participated in a Strip Poker with Isabela and (that crossbow-wielder dwarf from DA2) on the way to Highever to meet with Duncan, but then, they discovered the Grey Warden haven't come yet. So this becames a quest to find him and deliver some papers from that Dwarf.
Ah Vintiver, I made the encounter a bit harder, cause there were 3 motherf* mages and that Eshara (rogue) and in the end they meet Duncan, Alistair and 3 more wardens on their way to the village (that guardian of the village went out for help). After this mission, thw two groups are going to meet again, before proceed to Orzamar in search for two traitor dwarves, working for a evil wingless giant dragon.

I only "used" one official campaign.
Dragon Age Wiki it's more valuable than a dozen of PDFs/Books.
From Green Ronin, I want rules, house rules, different characters, monster's tactics for pen & paper, and news about things we did not see yet.
So, I'm totally with 'them' about another scenario for AGE system, one with new content, and total right of creation.
The Cake...
...is a lie
MacGrein
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby shonuff » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:37 pm

MacGrein wrote:I only "used" one official campaign.
Dragon Age Wiki it's more valuable than a dozen of PDFs/Books.
From Green Ronin, I want rules, house rules, different characters, monster's tactics for pen & paper, and news about things we did not see yet.
So, I'm totally with 'them' about another scenario for AGE system, one with new content, and total right of creation.

The DA Wiki is pretty good, but I would only say that for the areas in the games... Ferelden, Kirkwall, and the Deep Roads. For non-game areas, the Wiki goes to just about worthless.

Right now, I'm fairly confident that I could throw together an adventure and have it relatively consistent with canon for Ferelden, the Deep Roads, or Kirkwall. I don't think there is enough information for me to do that with either Orlais or Tevinter, and much less so for the other countries.
shonuff
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

PreviousNext

Return to Dragon Age RPG