What to get?

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

What to get?

Postby Oracle » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:53 pm

I'm interested in getting into SIFRP and was fortunate enough to pick up the Pocket Edition of the core rulebook recently. I'm trying to decide what other items to get, so I thought I'd ask here.

The Narrator's Kit is probably the first thing on my list -- a screen with commonly needed tables sounds great, plus a poster map and brief adventure. I have a couple of questions, though. How big is the poster map, is the intro adventure a good one, and how useful are tables on the screen? (I already have GM screens for other systems.)

At some point, I would like to get a hardback version of the core rules. Which is better, the original rulebook or Game of Thrones Edition? Or should I wait for some other kind of update that I haven't read anything about yet?

The Campaign Guide sounds great. Are there any plans for an updated version or another press run? Or will I have to buy secondhand somewhere?

Probably last on my list is the Chronicle Starter. How useful have other people found it?
Oracle
Bystander
Bystander

Re: What to get?

Postby BeardedDork » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:49 pm

I would not try to run the game without the screen. It may be the best GMs screen I've ever seen. The adventure is Ok, it's not like most published adventures in that it is really just a series of situations with a few characters in it and some suggested things the characters might do in the various situations. The onus lies on the GM more than it does in most modules to turn it into an actual adventure. The map is not huge, it's if I remember correctly about the size of two eight and a half by eleven sheets of paper end to end, it's large enough to be useful at the table but not so large as to overwhelm the table space when you pull it out.

huh, I guess I didn't realize I thought so highly of the narrator's kit. But I do I guess.

I would go for the GoT edition, if it's available in hardback, mines in pdf so I don't know, it is a more solid product than the original rules and significantly easier to find to boot I would imagine.

The Campaign Guide has good information on the various regions and houses around Westeros and is worthwhile but not essential.

I would skip the Campaign Starter, it has a few somewhat handy boilerplate NPCs in it, but you could get by just as well using the templates and the NPCs from the narrators chapter.
BeardedDork
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Carriker » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:44 pm

Oracle wrote:The Campaign Guide sounds great. Are there any plans for an updated version or another press run? Or will I have to buy secondhand somewhere?

There is, yes. We will be releasing a Game of Thrones edition of that book as well, with incorporated errata and all new art. We hope to have it out by GenCon (August). Hopefully. :)
--
Regards,
Joseph Carriker
Developer, Song of Ice & Fire
Green Ronin Publishing
--
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - Jojen Reed, A Dance with Dragons
Carriker
Ronin Joe
Ronin Joe

Postby Oracle » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:11 am

BeardedDork wrote:I would not try to run the game without the screen. It may be the best GMs screen I've ever seen. The adventure is Ok, it's not like most published adventures in that it is really just a series of situations with a few characters in it and some suggested things the characters might do in the various situations. The onus lies on the GM more than it does in most modules to turn it into an actual adventure. The map is not huge, it's if I remember correctly about the size of two eight and a half by eleven sheets of paper end to end, it's large enough to be useful at the table but not so large as to overwhelm the table space when you pull it out.

huh, I guess I didn't realize I thought so highly of the narrator's kit. But I do I guess.

I'm glad to hear my intuition was right that it sounds like a good product.

Carriker wrote:There is, yes. We will be releasing a Game of Thrones edition of that book as well, with incorporated errata and all new art. We hope to have it out by GenCon (August). Hopefully. :)

Great! I didn't really want to pay more than cover price for a used book if I didn't have to. I'll keep an eye out for it.
Oracle
Bystander
Bystander

Postby rulandor » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:22 am

I would like to come to the rescue of the Chronicle Starter's honor ... :D

Not that this booklet is a maiden in need of rescue by a shining knight, but surprisingly many people find it lacking. In my opinion, though, it has quite some content which may prove very usable in play.

Besides presenting six noble houses, fully developed and integrated in the political network of the Riverlands, it contains a bunch auf places, events and people ripe with adventure and intrigue potential. My favorites are the two towns, Market Town and the smugglers' den Port Maril, and in addition Durain's Forest and the forsaken domain of Riverthorn.

If I had owned the Chronicle Starter before the start of my current campaign, this campaign would take place in the Riverlands instead of the North.
rulandor
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Oracle » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:13 pm

I placed an order for the Narrator's Kit and GOTE today. Now I'm anxious for them to get here. If only I had a real-world tabletop group.
Oracle
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Legate » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:59 pm

As things are right now I would stick with the Pocket Edition, currently the best set of the rules out...until the next printing of the GoT Ed., and the Narrator's kit for the screen. I have the Campaign starter and the Campaign Guide, and while nice books they really don't add anything to the game...at least the one I have in mind. I would wait and pick up the supplements (ie Night's Watch) as they come out.
Legate
Henchman
Henchman

Postby veguto » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:43 am

Bumping this thread.

I for one don't have the pocket edition so what book should I buy first?
veguto
Bystander
Bystander

Postby BeardedDork » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:19 am

veguto wrote:I for one don't have the pocket edition so what book should I buy first?

1. A copy of the rules GoT preferably, pocket edition is good value if GoT is infeasible.
2. The Narrators Kit
3. Peril at Kings Landing, Aside from the adventure itself some of the supplementary materials in the back are worth more to me than the Campaign Guide and Campaign starter put together.
4. The Campaign Guide
5. The Chronicle Starter
BeardedDork
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Carriker » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:16 am

BeardedDork wrote:
veguto wrote:I for one don't have the pocket edition so what book should I buy first?

1. A copy of the rules GoT preferably, pocket edition is good value if GoT is infeasible.
3. Peril at Kings Landing, Aside from the adventure itself some of the supplementary materials in the back are worth more to me than the Campaign Guide and Campaign starter put together.

It is worth noting that Peril at King's Landing is in the back of the GoT Edition of the SIFRP core book.

Enjoy!
--
Regards,
Joseph Carriker
Green Ronin Publishing
--
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - Jojen Reed, A Dance with Dragons
Carriker
Ronin Joe
Ronin Joe

Postby BeardedDork » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:30 pm

Carriker wrote:It is worth noting that Peril at King's Landing is in the back of the GoT Edition of the SIFRP core book.

Enjoy!

The adventure itself yes, but unless I missed it the Banner houses and stock characters sections from pages 87-93, specifically tables A1 to A5 are not, I think those pages alone are worth the price of admission.
BeardedDork
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Carriker » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:51 pm

BeardedDork wrote:
Carriker wrote:It is worth noting that Peril at King's Landing is in the back of the GoT Edition of the SIFRP core book.

Enjoy!

The adventure itself yes, but unless I missed it the Banner houses and stock characters sections from pages 87-93, specifically tables A1 to A5 are not, I think those pages alone are worth the price of admission.

The stock characters were integrated into the Narrator Characters section, actually. :)
--
Regards,
Joseph Carriker
Green Ronin Publishing
--
Carriker
Ronin Joe
Ronin Joe

Postby BeardedDork » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:26 pm

Ok. You make it tough to try to sell one of your products for you.

In reality what I like about Peril at King's Landing, that causes me to endorse it definitely above the Chronicle Starter and probably above the Campaign Guide (all though I rank the Campaign Guide and P@KL very closely) is the very brief descriptions of a few banner houses and very good random name generator. I find I use those more than I use the Campaign Guide and Chronicle Starter combined. Your mileage may vary.

I actually have those tables, and tables 11-1 through 11-4 from the GoT edition printed out for quick lookup at the table, and like the screen from the Narrator's Kit, hate to run the game without them.
BeardedDork
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Tedric » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:14 pm

There is, yes. We will be releasing a Game of Thrones edition of that book as well, with incorporated errata and all new art. We hope to have it out by GenCon (August). Hopefully. :)

And when will we have it in Belgium? :P I know..I asked the same question twice in other threads but got no answer so far.
Tedric
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG