The Oleander Maw

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

The Oleander Maw

Postby Allensh » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:40 am

I started running this adventure for my group last night. This morning my wife told me that she really is enjoying it! She says it's a fascinating mystery, and she really thinks the author should write more Dragon Age adventures :) I thought I would pass that along, as I know people always like appreciation for their efforts. Also, she says she has never enjoyed a fantasy game or setting as much as she does Dragon Age and is even considering playing the video games...something she NEVER does!

Allen
Allensh
Cohort
Cohort

Re: The Oleander Maw

Postby HalWhitewyrm » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:04 am

John has indeed written another adventure, a sequel to Oleander Maw. I need to finish editing and layout but keep checking the Dragon Age Oracle as that's where it'll be posted (URL in my sig).
HalWhitewyrm
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Elfie » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:46 pm

I'm gonna be running this for 7 level 6 characters on Sunday (5 PCs). Obviously I'm gonna have to scale some things for the higher-level group. Anyone have any specific suggestions for doing so?
Elfie
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Postby Elfie » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:06 am

Just wanted to follow-up and say we finished this up yesterday. My critique would be that there's nothing in the story to really motivate the players to go along with what's going on. They have no opportunity to become in any way invested in any of the characters and there are plenty of opportunities to just say "**** this" and leave.

I did, however, have a delightful time with the part of the story where the characters choose to go into the fade to destroy the demon. Before confronting the demon, I gave each of them their own scene where I just completely screwed with them and tried to make deals with them to just let the demon go with Casden. That was a lot of fun for everyone. These individual encounters made several of the players much lower on HP before going into the final fight.

I also beefed up the demon to make the fight very hard but definitely winnable. Ultimately the demon won, but they probably could have taken her with one more round of combat. I used this as a ploy to bring in the deal one of the PCs already has with a different desire demon. She came to their "rescue" and they were released from the demon's thrall, but Casden and Urdik were already gone when they awoke. Then after they left town, one of the PCs found her father's sword that had been lost at the bottom of the sea (exactly what the demon had offered her), which now has all the PCs very concerned about what sort of deal the two demons struck for their freedom, whether they are all going to get what they were offered (which is scary since one of them was offered her sister back from the dead), whether they ever actually made it out of the Fade, etc etc. And of course this revealed that one of the PCs already has a deal with a demon (though he insists on calling her a Spirit), which brings up plenty of more drama. Fantastic time had by all :)
Elfie
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Postby Zapp » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:10 am

Good stuff! :)
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Return to Dragon Age RPG