GoT Edition PDF vs. PDF Version 1.1 vs. Original Edition

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Re: GoT Edition PDF vs. PDF Version 1.1 vs. Original Edition

Postby Lord Ben » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:54 pm

Zeroed wrote:- Improved Armor Mastery: "Decrease the armor’s penalty to Combat Defense by 1" is removed again.

Which is the "real" version of this? Not sure which one is correct.
Lord Ben
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Slynt » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:59 am

I caved in, I was too curious - I didn't order the hardback, just the PDF. Still, that's $20 which won't tell GR that this is money they don't deserve. It was basically paying to have someone append the "Peril of King's Landing" book to the core rule book and give it a new cover. Meh
Slynt
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby rulandor » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:51 am

Captain Liberty wrote:I'm a bit amazed GR still have no plans to try to do something special for the fans after this complete mess. No discounted book or anything.

Yes, a discount for a corrected version of the book would be the right thing to do. Even better would be, as soon as a corrected pdf is finalized, to offer a print on demand solution.

It is difficult to imagine that the GoT edition is going to be a huge seller after this mess, especially considering the considerable price tag.
rulandor
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby ajwsavage » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:17 pm

Hi -
I am new to this game and this is my first post. I preordered the GoT edition with the pdf, but after reading this thread I am confused. How broken is it? Do I need to buy the pocket edition to play the game at its best? I am currently trying to convince my group to change games/systems and pick up this one, but I want to make sure I don't sell them a dud (we have a rules lawyer at the table, so...)

Any advice? Should I cancel my pre-order and buy the pocket edition?
ajwsavage
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Rustin » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:16 pm

ajwsavage wrote:Hi -
I am new to this game and this is my first post. I preordered the GoT edition with the pdf, but after reading this thread I am confused. How broken is it? Do I need to buy the pocket edition to play the game at its best? I am currently trying to convince my group to change games/systems and pick up this one, but I want to make sure I don't sell them a dud (we have a rules lawyer at the table, so...)

Any advice? Should I cancel my pre-order and buy the pocket edition?

This is a great game. In my opinion any edition is worth having but the pocket edition does have the bulk of the errata incorporated. The pocket edition isn't nearly as pretty as the hard backs, though :)
Rustin
Bystander
Bystander

Postby ajwsavage » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:27 pm

Thanks for the response. I like what I have seen so far in the GoT edition, I just don't know what to compare it to. I have no regrets so far. The question is, should I? To be honest, I can't wait to play it. I just don't want my group to find holes big enough to sink the experience. I really want this to work, and work long term.
ajwsavage
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Lord Ben » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:55 pm

I think it's mostly the minor stuff that wasn't carried over. I'd still buy it, the rules work and are fun without errata.
Lord Ben
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Pytorb » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:44 pm

ajwsavage wrote:Thanks for the response. I like what I have seen so far in the GoT edition, I just don't know what to compare it to. I have no regrets so far. The question is, should I? To be honest, I can't wait to play it. I just don't want my group to find holes big enough to sink the experience. I really want this to work, and work long term.

This game is one of the best, most evocotive, rulesets for Fantasy RPGs I've played with in a quarter of century of gaming. No rule system is 100% the way you want it, he says thinking of the 40 or so pages of houserules, price lists, additional details, etc. but there are few game breaking errors in anything I've encountered so far (admittedly the GoT edition is still in the wings for me at the moment). It has kept the campaign I run intermittently going for 35 weeks of game play over three years. And the players are still wanting more. Plus the forum is great for picking up houserules, alternate time settings, session reports etc.
Pytorb
Booster
Booster

Postby ajwsavage » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:22 pm

I am sold on this system myself. I love the absolute range of options etc. I will be evangelising it to my group on Tuesday & already have 3 houses created: the Bowerbanks, Bitterstreams, & the Riverstones. Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it. In the end I bought the pocket edition as well, just in case...
ajwsavage
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Abulia » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:46 pm

Carriker wrote:In order to cancel your pre-order, it is vital that you write to custserv@greenronin.com IMMEDIATELY.

Well, again, mixed messages from GR. I e-mailed this address (via the website) and have never received a response, a week later.

As per the thread in General forum, however, I sent a PM to Nichole (Nikchick) and she responded in just over 24 hours and confirmed that my pre-order is now cancelled. I would recommend folks take that course of action, ASAP.

Interestingly I was refunded $46.90 against a pre-order of $49.95. I've no idea what GR is doing with that extra $3.05. Considering I outlined 14 errors for them in their printing (see page 2 of this thread), they ought to be paying me. lol ;)
Abulia
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Abulia » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:50 pm

ajwsavage wrote:I am sold on this system myself. I love the absolute range of options etc.

I don't believe anyone in this thread has stated that the ASOIAF RPG isn't a good game. This thread is about the changes in the GoT "Error Edition." I do recommend this game, as long as you pick up the Pocket Edition.

For those of you saying these are just "minor" problems, this is what my game tabled looked like last week: one player reading a rule in the original 2009 edition, asking a question. I reference my GoT PDF to see that it's the same, while a third player has his PE open and has a different rule and wording completely. We're to the point that we read a rule in the core book, pause, laugh, and then ask someone with the PE what the real rule is.

And, as I said previously, buying the book as-is only reinforces to GR that this level of quality is acceptable. It's your money, however, to do with as you'd like.
Abulia
Bystander
Bystander

Postby ajwsavage » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:13 pm

I saw on one of the Green Ronin round table updates that along with the GoT edition there would be
a free PDF with a full listing of the errata we've updated so that those who are using older rulebooks can still have access to these changes. http://greenronin.com/2012/03/ronin_rou ... rriker.php

Does anyone know where to get this?

By the way - I have to agree that this is still the best rule set for a fantasy setting that I have seen regardless of errors people are pointing out. I am under no illusion that there will ever be a 'perfect system', but this one is so evocative. I have 3/5 of my group convinced to switch from Savage Worlds...now to deal with the rest...
ajwsavage
Bystander
Bystander

Postby crowofpyke » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:14 pm

Abulia wrote:
ajwsavage wrote:I am sold on this system myself. I love the absolute range of options etc.

I don't believe anyone in this thread has stated that the ASOIAF RPG isn't a good game. This thread is about the changes in the GoT "Error Edition." I do recommend this game, as long as you pick up the Pocket Edition.

For those of you saying these are just "minor" problems, this is what my game tabled looked like last week: one player reading a rule in the original 2009 edition, asking a question. I reference my GoT PDF to see that it's the same, while a third player has his PE open and has a different rule and wording completely. We're to the point that we read a rule in the core book, pause, laugh, and then ask someone with the PE what the real rule is.

And, as I said previously, buying the book as-is only reinforces to GR that this level of quality is acceptable. It's your money, however, to do with as you'd like.

I love the game system. It does NEED a much better editing, term normalization, and organization however. To that end, my group uses the Pocket Edition and the "Tablet Edition" in PDF (which is just the Pocket Edition in PDF format).

After seeing, and hearing, about so many "broken" or "bad" rules that have been errata in the past and corrected in the Pocket Edition are now back to their old "bad" form in the upcoming AGOT edition.... Well, myself and my group will NOT be buying the AGOT edition. We plan to wait for a better edited, normalized and organized edition before investing again....
crowofpyke
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Carriker » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:25 am

ajwsavage wrote:Does anyone know where to get this?

It's not up yet, I'm afraid. It's one of my current projects, however. I'll make a post to the Forums and on the front of greenronin.com when we post it.
--
Regards,
Joseph Carriker
Developer, Song of Ice & Fire
Green Ronin Publishing
--
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - Jojen Reed, A Dance with Dragons
Carriker
Ronin Joe
Ronin Joe

Postby Slynt » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:40 am

But we are all wondering whether the printed version of Game of Thrones Edition will get a quick makeover unlike the PDF (apologies if it has already been answered)
Slynt
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Carriker » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:36 pm

Slynt wrote:But we are all wondering whether the printed version of Game of Thrones Edition will get a quick makeover unlike the PDF (apologies if it has already been answered)

It has been; the time it takes to print and ship a book is three months. Unfortunately, by the time the issues were discovered, they'd been printed, bound, packed and were on a boat to us. If I had absolutely any ability to do anything about that, you can rest assured that I would have. At this point, I'm doing damage control, including working with the others in Green Ronin to come up with an internal policy and mechanism to see that this kind of thing never happens again.
--
Regards,
Joseph Carriker
Developer, Song of Ice & Fire
Green Ronin Publishing
--
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - Jojen Reed, A Dance with Dragons
Carriker
Ronin Joe
Ronin Joe

Postby Kaleb7 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:35 pm

For what it's worth a comprehensive errata document covering all versions, would go a LONG way to put things right... The sooner the better. :)

I also play 4th edition D&D at times, so my tolerance for errata is pretty high :p
Kaleb7
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jon Snow » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:00 am

Carriker wrote:It has been; the time it takes to print and ship a book is three months. Unfortunately, by the time the issues were discovered, they'd been printed, bound, packed and were on a boat to us. If I had absolutely any ability to do anything about that, you can rest assured that I would have. At this point, I'm doing damage control, including working with the others in Green Ronin to come up with an internal policy and mechanism to see that this kind of thing never happens again.

The best way to prevent it in the future is to release the PDF early for all of us to pour over and nitpick :D

That way the print edition will be as error free as possible.
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Abulia » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:40 am

Carriker wrote:At this point, I'm doing damage control, including working with the others in Green Ronin to come up with an internal policy and mechanism to see that this kind of thing never happens again.

That's not damage control, that's process improvement. I'm glad to hear that it's being done.

The question posed was what is GR going to do now for those that invested in this printed edition with the errors? What is GR going to do to remediate their concerns? What "damage control" are you doing for them?

PDF owners can expect a fixed version for free. Based on this thread, it appears that all owners of the printed edition can expect is the aforementioned apology. Is that correct?
Abulia
Bystander
Bystander

Postby aprewett » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:30 pm

We have put our game on hold for the time being, as I was really looking forward to a clean version. My pocket edition is also falling apart.

Allan
aprewett
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Lord Ben » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:44 pm

Is there a printed version of the tablet edition?
Lord Ben
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Reinard » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:17 pm

Is there a GoT Tablet Edition or is there going to be one or is the GoT Edition PDF compatible with kindle touch?
I'd love to support Green Ronin with my money, but there is no way I would pay for something that I wont use, so I would pass on the paper book.

Also, an interactive character sheet that can be viewed on my kindle would be of great help for me. I am using one created by myself, but I am not really the best when it comes down to creating files for kindle. Has someone already done one or is GR planning to make one (and sell it for some minor income). In the erra of e-readers I would think that this will be a usefull application.
Reinard
Bystander
Bystander

Postby jyster » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:12 am

Basically these are the editions so far.
1.0 Basic
2.0 Pocket Edition
3.0 GoT Edition

I hope GR does the right thing for its customers, and tells the gamers that are going to buy the GoT version that it is actually 1.0 version. I understand that this Fubar will cause them to lose money, but if they don't advise people of what they are buying, then as a company I can't trust them, and they will forever lose my money. Plus I will advise people not to buy from them anymore.

That's one of the reasons I will never buy another Catalyst/Shadowrun product.
jyster
Bystander
Bystander

Postby nakraal » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:23 am

I can't see how is that they can't correct the product when it's release date is still months away.
You mean that the books are printed and bonded already? Because if the pages were just printed then the loss by reprinting 1/6th of those would be great, but not unbearable - or so I guess.

Of course I don't claim to know the first thing about book publishing so I am just guessing that the proses could be interrupted & corrected in a great expense that could prove beneficial for the company in the long term.
nakraal
Bystander
Bystander

Postby SamH » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:50 am

jyster wrote:Basically these are the editions so far.
1.0 Basic
2.0 Pocket Edition
3.0 GoT Edition

From what I've been able to gather from reading threads like this one and another at RPGnet, it appears that the Game of Thrones Edition isn't a full-on reversion to the 1.0 ruleset. Some has gone back, but some hasn't and still more has been changed into something entirely new.

You're well within your rights to not buy a product from any company you choose, of course. Let's just not say things about that product and that company that aren't wholly true.
SamH
Bystander
Bystander

PreviousNext

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG