SIFRP QUESTIONS

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Re: SIFRP QUESTIONS

Postby Martionman » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:52 pm

Does Heir nessicarily have to do with a Son? what about perhaps a brother who would be in line until a son is born? I.E. the lord died leaving two sons, one inheirits the house but has not fathered a son to carry on the name, would the second brother be considered Heir in the house stats.

and that being the case does the house gain the 10 points back used for second-son for the change in situation?
Martionman
Bystander
Bystander

Postby shadowcat » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:02 am

As I announced in my previous post in this thread I've purchased the PDF of the core book via drivethrurpg. And I am enjoying it very much. However, when I tried to purchase the hardcopy of it, my supplier told me that the book is not available any more and they don't have any books left in store.

Therefore, I have another question. Because I'd like to have not just a PDF bot a hardcopy as well, I'm considering to buy a copy of the upcoming GoT-Edition. Now my question: Will the PDF of the previous edition combined with the forthcoming errata-PDF containing the same one-on-one like the GoT-edition hardcopy excluding the adventure "Peril at King's Landing"?
Fear Me Roar!
shadowcat
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Zorbeltuss » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:01 am

Artisan page 108.

That does makes the weapons of your units castle forged with a +1 to hit?

The Official Q&A is a bit muddy on the subject, using wealth to upgrade gear quality seems mostly to upgrade the type of weapon, as depicted in base damage.
Zorbeltuss
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Silverius » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:26 pm

Armor Qualities?

Is there a table for this I'm missing in the Core or Campaign Guide book?

Where are the Fine and Excellent armor descriptions coming from or is that just fluff?
Silverius
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Lord Ben » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:40 pm

Campaign guide?

It reduces the armor penalty or bulk by 1. It's another optional benefit from Artisan for your wealth holding.
Lord Ben
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Silverius » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:44 pm

Yeah the book with most the main and important side characters for ASOIAF detailed out is the Campaign Guide. Unfortunately it's at work but I remember descriptors of Tywin's armor as Excellent and Davos as Fine on their character sheets.

I'm using it to base the main characters during the Blackfyre rebellion
Silverius
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Kival » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:41 am

For the new version it has been decided that no improved armours seem to exist.
Kival
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Azai » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:55 pm

My question is about Actions in intrigue.

Can you only an action once per encounter? Or is it just once per round?
Azai
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Tobi » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:48 am

Can I do a charge without moving?
Tobi
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Wagner_Darksteel » Wed May 02, 2012 3:13 am

Please help me here, I have a couple questions...

The book contradict itself. This is a piece of what is written in page 118 of the Core Rulebook:
"Donating Coin
For every 200 gold dragons you donate, you can increase your house’s Wealth resource by +1."

And this is a piece of what is written in the very same book at page 191:
"Coin
Coin awards come from scenes where there is a financial stake in the scene’s outcome. Participating in a tournament for a prize could grant a Coin reward, and successfully negotiating a trade agreement with a Free City merchant might also produce a Coin reward. Characters can invest Coin into their house. For every 1,000 gold dragons invested, the house’s Wealth resource increases by 1."

So? Which one is correct? To raise my house Wealth it'll cost the party 200 or 1000 gold dragons?

===================================================================================================

Next question, I made a Warfare battle (I loved the Warfare rules, by the way), but in the sea. The Warships of the party were attacked by Pirates.
It was 1 unit versus 2 unit. The players had a Veteran Warship, with the player having Warfare 4 (Command 2B), and the opponents had 2 Green Warship units, with their commander having Warfare 3 and a sub-commander with Warfare 2. It was a massacre, the players didn't even get hit. Checking Table 10-5 of page 182, they defeted less than three units (gaining 1 Glory) and fought in disavantage 2:1 (+2 Glory), so they should be rewarded 3 points of Glory.

HOWEVER, checking table 11-2, page 192 of the Core Rulebook, their challenge was a minor challenge, so they should earn, maximum 1 point of Glory. Which one is correct? Also, the ONLY player (of the five players) who did something, was the Leader, who used Warfare. Should ONLY him gain Exp? What about the rest of the party? Should they have found some Coin with the pirates? How much? The hardest part of being a Narrator is giving rewards wisely, can you please help me with this?
Wagner_Darksteel
Bystander
Bystander

Postby wanderingcrow » Sat May 19, 2012 6:11 pm

Wagner_Darksteel wrote:Checking Table 10-5 of page 182, they defeted less than three units (gaining 1 Glory) and fought in disavantage 2:1 (+2 Glory), so they should be rewarded 3 points of Glory.

HOWEVER, checking table 11-2, page 192 of the Core Rulebook, their challenge was a minor challenge, so they should earn, maximum 1 point of Glory. Which one is correct?

I think the Glory rewards for Warfare are a little stingy, since the loser of a battle gets 1 Glory just for surviving. I would add +1 to the Glory results on Table 10-5, meaning your players earned 2 points of Glory for winning the battle, and another 2 points of Glory for being outnumbered (although I think the outnumbered Glory shouldn't apply in cases that are literally 2 against 1, especially when the opponents are vastly inferior). My understanding of the scene rewards is that they are in addition to other rewards. So I guess I would assign up to 5 Glory for the whole scene: 2 for winning the battle, 2 for being outnumbered (although this could possibly be reduced to 1 or dropped altogether) and 1 for completing the scene. This might seem like a lot, but your players will need it - their next battle will probably be more of a threat than a couple of pirate ships...
wanderingcrow
Bystander
Bystander

Postby wanderingcrow » Sun May 20, 2012 12:56 am

It seems like the Survivors of Warfare table (Table 10-6, p.183) could use a little adjustment. In the course of one of our battles, a unit of green archers successfully attacked two units of bandits, and destroyed one of them. The archers weren't damaged at all in the battle. After the battle, their roll for the Survivors table happened to be a 1, which in the No Damage column, results in -1 level of training. Since they were green, this means the unit was destroyed. This doesn't make sense: a unit that successfully attacked and took out an enemy unit without taking any damage shouldn't lose training or suddenly disband.

I think the solution is to add +1 to the roll for Table 10-6 if the unit in question defeated any enemy units in the battle, either by routing or destroying them. The bonus to the roll is not cumulative - no matter how units are defeated, the bonus is still just +1. This would mean that a unit could still lose a training rank even if it took no damage in a battle, but only if it didn't manage to defeat an enemy unit. I guess this would represent a situation where the unit was demoralized and/or traumatized by the violence they witnessed in the battle. This is only one solution to this problem, but I think it is the simplest - any other solution would probably require re-writing Table 10-6.
wanderingcrow
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Zeroed » Thu May 24, 2012 11:39 am

wanderingcrow wrote:It seems like the Survivors of Warfare table (Table 10-6, p.183) could use a little adjustment.

Yeah, we noticed that too in our group, and we modified the table to use 2d6 instead of only 1d6. You can download it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=a76pt1f91kl1dls

It works a lot better that way because of probabilities.
Zeroed
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby wanderingcrow » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:39 pm

Thanks Zeroed, I'll do my best to get our Narrator to give it a try after our next battle.
wanderingcrow
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Cordayne » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:18 am

My question concerns house fortunes. I can't figure this out for my life..

What is the base roll of house fortunes? I mean.. This is the modifiers I have in my house

+3 for population
+3 for Maester
Marketplace + Port: Increases 1d6 to wealth when a fortune roll would increase wealth

What is the base die roll for a fortune roll which I add the +6 modifier? Is it just 1d6+6?
Cordayne
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Zorbeltuss » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:41 am

Status-Stewardship.
Zorbeltuss
Devotee
Devotee

Postby DaimosofRedstone » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:23 pm

What he means is Status Dice are rolled for the house roll. Stewardship dice count as bonus dice (e.g. if you have Status 4 and Stewardship 3 you roll 7 dice and pick the 4 best dice) and to that you add whatever modifiers your holdings bestow.
DaimosofRedstone
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Postby BeardedDork » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:10 pm

I can't find anywhere this question is specifically addressed. If there is a character with Short-Blade Fighter 1, wielding a Stiletto with a Dirk in Off-Hand, and he spends a greater action to make a two weapon attack does he do Agility +2 with Piercing 4 or is it still only piercing 3?
BeardedDork
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Zorbeltuss » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:01 pm

The latter. The only thing that applies from your off hand weapon is the increased damage (from off-hand +X quality), everything else is determined by the primary weapon.
Zorbeltuss
Devotee
Devotee

Postby BeardedDork » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:24 pm

Is there some sort of source for that or is it opinion?
BeardedDork
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Carriker » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:18 am

BeardedDork wrote:Is there some sort of source for that or is it opinion?

The rules for making two weapon attacks.
SIFRP:GoT, p.163 wrote:Two-Weapon Attack Greater
Whenever you wield a weapon in your main hand and an Off-hand weapon in your other hand, you can combine them to make a more powerful attack. Simply add the weapon’s Off-hand modifier to your primary weapon’s damage. You deal this damage on a successful Fighting test. If your Off-hand weapon has the Defensive quality, you lose that quality until the start of your next turn.

That's the sum total of the effects of fighting with two weapons. If it doesn't say that you benefit from the Qualities of the off-hand weapon, it's safe to assume that it doesn't.

Now, that might be a cool Benefit, perhaps, but as written, the rules do not support the stacking of Qualities on two weapon attacks.
--
Regards,
Joseph Carriker
Developer, Song of Ice & Fire
Green Ronin Publishing
--
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - Jojen Reed, A Dance with Dragons
Carriker
Ronin Joe
Ronin Joe

Postby BeardedDork » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:06 am

Thank you.
BeardedDork
Bystander
Bystander

Postby babayaga » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:14 pm

A question on jousting damage in a tourney is my first post :)
I'm using the rules of the "Game of Thrones Edition, which I think were introduced in Peril at King's Landing.
I can't figure whether in a joust a knight takes damage whenever he's hit, or only if unhorsed; and in general how damage is computed.

The text seems to suggest that damage is taken only if unhorsed, and is only equal to the attack base damage (rather than being multiplied by the degree of success -- the higher the degree, the higher the change of being unhorsed, after all). In fact, if "normal" damage rules were applied, most finalists would end up really, really beat up. But it's not 100% clear.
babayaga
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Carriker » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:48 pm

babayaga wrote:The text seems to suggest that damage is taken only if unhorsed, and is only equal to the attack base damage (rather than being multiplied by the degree of success -- the higher the degree, the higher the change of being unhorsed, after all). In fact, if "normal" damage rules were applied, most finalists would end up really, really beat up. But it's not 100% clear.

Normal damage is inflicted by jousting exchanges, yes. Most finalists honestly don't usually end up really beat up because of the kind of heavy armor they usually wear, in my play experience. At most, they usually end up taking a couple of points of damage per pass, typically, unless they're a poor man's knight without much in the way of decent armor (in which case, he definitely had it coming - when it comes to jousting, play armored or go home).
--
Regards,
Joseph Carriker
Developer, Song of Ice & Fire
Green Ronin Publishing
--
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - Jojen Reed, A Dance with Dragons
Carriker
Ronin Joe
Ronin Joe

Postby babayaga » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:06 am

Thanks for the *really* prompt answer.

I'll ask a few more questions then :) These are about Heirs as an investment of Influence.

A minor house of the north has three heirs -- from the oldest to the youngest a son, a daugher, a son.
The first son costs 20 points. Does the daughter count as the "oldest female" and cost 10 points, or as a "second child (female)" and cost 5 points? Similarly, does the youngest child cost 10 points as the "second oldest male", or 5 points as the "third child (male)"? I'd be tempted to go with the most expensive interpretation (10 points *each* for the daughter and the younger son), but this creates a weird situation: with 35 points of influence (that's how much my players rolled) a House can purchase three sons, or three daughters, or a son and two daughters, *but*not* two sons and a daughter.

The second question is: what happens if the Head of House does not have children, but still has other heirs? The question came up because my players were thinking of playing the three young sibllings above; and if Influence is not enough to purchase all their characters as Heirs, they considered the possibility of declaring that their parents (the former Head of the House and his wife) had just been killed in a raid by Ironmen, and playing as the new (heirless) Head of House and his two siblings. How much would this cost? 0 Influence? 30 Influence (as the Head of House now has two "heirs", his brother and sister)? What would happen if the new Head of House got married and produced offspring?
babayaga
Bystander
Bystander

PreviousNext

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG