[House-Rule] no damage roll

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

Moderator: Super Moderators

[House-Rule] no damage roll

Postby Archaos » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:23 am

I like game system where 1 action is 1 dices roll.
The attack's dices indicate the dammages.
Dagger (1d6+1) : dragon dice +1
Long Sword (2d6) : the 2 dices of one color
Two-handed Sword (3d6) : the 3 dices

With this sytem a "little" roll gives probably little damages, and a "big" roll gives big damages.

Sorry for my poor english.
My work for Dragon Age RPG and Shadowrun.
Archaos
Bystander
Bystander

Re: [House-Rule] no damage roll

Postby shonuff » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:27 pm

The problem with this is that you wouldn't end up with small damage rolls... in order to be successful, you'd need a higher number.
shonuff
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Arimmus » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:34 pm

Interesting Idea, but like Shonuff, the Shogun of Harlem said, no small damage rolls, making Rogues dead in a few seconds. Rogues can only wear leather armor, and due to this, they can only get a -3 or -4 to any damage they take. However, rogues rely on high dex, which gives them high defense. A rogue is going to start out with a 3-4 in dex and this means any damage they take is going to be higher than normal.
Arimmus Thoma

" I has a maptool framework coming along for DRAGON AGE! "
Arimmus
Henchman
Henchman

Postby donsensey » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:25 pm

I don't understand what Archaos is proposing... can someone explain? =D
donsensey
Bystander
Bystander

Postby shonuff » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:00 pm

Arimmus wrote:Interesting Idea, but like Shonuff, the Shogun of Harlem said...

Who's the master, Leroy? :)

donsensey wrote:I don't understand what Archaos is proposing... can someone explain? =D

If with a 2-hander you roll an 18 when you hit, you do 18 damage. If you roll a 15 and hit, you do 15 damage. With a dagger, you take your attack roll and take the dragon die and add 1 to it.
shonuff
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby jameson » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:37 am

You could just apply the dragon die only. So Dragon die +1 for a dagger, Dragon die x3 for a 2-hander axe, There will be times when you hit with 6-6-1 and the 1 is the dragon die, and later in the game when your to-hit gets into the +6 or higher range you will be hitting with some fairly low rolls which may or may not include a high, or low, dragon die result.

That said I have no problem with rolling for damage.

Rolling for my HP gain when I level up ... man, I HATE 1's
jameson
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Loswaith » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:14 pm

A simpler method would be just to have different coloured dice (to the dragon or normal dice) for damage, and roll all the dice at once. It's then one roll and 6d6 isnt that much to roll unless you have fairly small hands, or are using rather large d6s.

The only downside I see to all options are if you get a stunt and then using mighty blow or lethal blow, so they would then need to also be rolled.
- Loswaith
Henceforth mortal, remember...
Loswaith
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby pensamento_coletivo » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:38 am

A game without damage rolls is a good idea...

Let's see. We could give a damage value to attacks and add dragon die and stunts to it.

Dagger - dmg 4 + Str
Longsword - dmg 6 + Str
2-hand sword - dmg 9 + Str
Shortbow - dmg 4 + Per
Longbow - dmg 6 + Per... did you get how the numbers were calculated? Just assume every die is a 3. Ok, let's move on.

Let's see an example from my table... oh, here it is. My player's 2nd level two-weapon stylist warrior with Str 3 uses longswords.
He rolls 3d6+5 to attack and deals 2d6+3 dmg.
By this HR, he rolls 3d6+5 and deals 6 + dragon die damage.
Let's say he rolls 3, 6, (4) and hits... that's 10 damage. (The dragon die is the 4, dudes)

Oh, the stunts would add +4 (mighty blow) or +10 (lethal blow) to damage, if you don't wanna roll it. Why? Twice the base stunt cost. Or you could treat it as damage dice and add +3 and +6 but I prefer to trat stunts as more valuable.

The master level of the Two Hander Style talent has to be revised, since you are not rolling the damage again. I suggest that it transforms the base damage per die to 4 instead of 3.
So, a 2-hand sword would deal 12 + Str damage for a master Two Hander Stylist.

Just some thoughts.

EDIT:

I almost forgot, of course you can do this to magic too. It's like the Arcane Blast spell, that deals 2d6 + dragon die damage already, except that the die are always "3" :) So, a mage would deal 6 + dragon die damage with this spell.

Oh, you like big bad mages? Just rule that spells deal 4 base damage per die, instead of 3... so, the Flame blast spell would have (2d6+1) a 9 point base damage.
pensamento_coletivo
Bystander
Bystander

Postby shonuff » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:12 pm

I use a house rule for retroactive CON bonuses, as well. IMO, it's the way to go.

However, I think making a static damage rule makes the game too predictable. With most attacks already being successful, there'd be little reason to roll. With damage resistance factored in, it makes combat a little too predetermined, IMO.
shonuff
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby MacGrein » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:50 am

Physical Attacks >> Roll to Attack >> Static Damage
Magical Attacks >> Auto Hit >> Roll to Damage

Weapon damage is more predictable, and this allows for much more differentiation between kinds of weapons and materials. Magical damage are as variable as much are the Magic itself.

You can always give magical AR, better armors and Powers!, etc.
The Cake...
...is a lie
MacGrein
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby pensamento_coletivo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:56 pm

shonuff wrote:I use a house rule for retroactive CON bonuses, as well. IMO, it's the way to go.

However, I think making a static damage rule makes the game too predictable. With most attacks already being successful, there'd be little reason to roll. With damage resistance factored in, it makes combat a little too predetermined, IMO.

Agree about the CON bonuses for Health. I do it for Health and Mana. Actually, in my game, warriors get 4+Con health each level, rogues get 3+Con and mages get 2+Con. Mages also get 4+Magic mana each level. All retroactive.

Other gamemasters shared the same thought about predicatability that you did, Shonuff. I've came up with this rule after readind this thread and I decided to playtest it for a few sessions and things went really smooth. Specially when you factor up stunts and large number of opponents in combat, my players really loved the new rule. Ir worked for us, but as with all new mechanics it may not work for everyone.

Anyway, the damage is not really static, it only have a smaller range. The nice thing about it, I think, is the fact that you are applying the special AGE mechanic (where the dragon die determines the effective succes of a roll) to combat. But I agree that it LOOKS like things can be "predicted", but when the stunts appear, they actually can't.

I wouldn't use automatic spell rolls, because without spell rolls you can't generate stunts. So, in my group mages make spell rolls as normal, using the rule for automatic damage. We agreed that magic uses a 4 base damage per d6 in the original damage, but damage-enhancing spells and abilities use a 3 base damage (like the Flaming Weapons spell or the backstab ability). Stunts use twice the stunt point cost as base damage.
pensamento_coletivo
Bystander
Bystander

Return to Dragon Age RPG