Green Ronin in 2012

Here you can discuss and ask questions about upcoming Green Ronin products and anything else that doesn't fit into one of the categories.

Re: Green Ronin in 2012

Postby La Cipolla » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:56 am

Thanks for this opportunity!

I take from your previous posts that the AGE system in the new product will be at least very similar to the one in Dragon Age; are there some areas where you're planning more essential rule changes (e.g. the magic system, the character creation or the stunts)?
La Cipolla
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Twin Agate dragons » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:30 am

Sad to see that Freeport is not getting any official love this year.
Sarunia: A Pathfinder Inspired Campaign Setting
On Facebook / On The Pathfinder Database
Twin Agate dragons
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Pramas » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:55 am

La Cipolla wrote:I take from your previous posts that the AGE system in the new product will be at least very similar to the one in Dragon Age; are there some areas where you're planning more essential rule changes (e.g. the magic system, the character creation or the stunts)?

The basic rules framework is very similar, as of course we want to keep the things people like about Dragon Age. The biggest changes will be in areas that are unique to the Dragon Age property. So while the basics of magic are the same (spells cost MPs and you roll to cast), we won't be using the same schools of magic. The whole Creation, Entropy, Primal, Spirit division is very Dragon Age. I'm doing something different--an honestly a little more intuitive--than the new game.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby Pramas » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:58 am

Twin Agate dragons wrote:Sad to see that Freeport is not getting any official love this year.

There's been a lot of Freeport talk around GRHQ lately. Basically, when we dribble support out, there are predictable results, so we're trying to figure out the best way to get Freeport going again with a big bang.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby JA Johns » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:05 pm

This may be so far down the road it's silly, but is there thought about using the new AGE setting for the Chronicle system or creating another GR setting for it?
JA Johns
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Pramas » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:20 pm

JA Johns wrote:This may be so far down the road it's silly, but is there thought about using the new AGE setting for the Chronicle system or creating another GR setting for it?

We may indeed do another Chronicle System game in the future, but that would be years down the line at this point. It occurred to me it'd be a pretty good fit for the Black Company--you could modify the house rules to handle running a mercenary company--but our license for that ended years ago.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby MacGrein » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:25 pm

Great News Chris!!! Thanks indeed!

Any chances about that "future scifi setting" to be a Mass Effect adaptation?
Or anymore relationship with Bioware?

Oh, any posters inside the Set 3 ???
The Cake...
...is a lie
MacGrein
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby jasko » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:53 pm

OK - I added these questions in an edit to my previous post, so maybe they weren't seen. So here they are again:

1) Will the new SIFRP edition be re-indexed and / or reorganized in addition to having Peril appended?
2) Will you be supporting portrait-oriented tablet readers with more PDF releases? And if so, will any of those have color art, linking, and other "beyond e-reader" features?
jasko
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Pramas » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:59 pm

MacGrein wrote:Any chances about that "future scifi setting" to be a Mass Effect adaptation?

As much as my step-daughter would love to see a Mass Effect RPG, chances are low.

Oh, any posters inside the Set 3 ???

Maybe. Still working on a final component list.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby Pramas » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:01 pm

jasko wrote:OK - I added these questions in an edit to my previous post, so maybe they weren't seen. So here they are again:

If you look at page 1 of this thread, you'll see I answered them yesterday.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby jasko » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:05 pm

How did I miss that? :oops:
Thanks!
jasko
Bystander
Bystander

Postby MacGrein » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:12 pm

Oh well, anyway... :)

Are you going to use a "grandmaster" level on Talents?

When you said about a "new class", you're talking about a new specialization, or a 4th main-class?

About the PDF's, do you know (expect) to the frequency to be monthly, weekly?

I can't wait to see the playtest!

BTW, would yourself choose a Bard Specialization in a campaign?
The Cake...
...is a lie
MacGrein
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Garydee » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:35 pm

With the new fantasy setting do you expect to keep the magic level where it is now(which I think is perfect) or are you going to introduce high fantasy spells that include flying, teleportation, raise dead, etc.?
Garydee
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Pramas » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:13 pm

MacGrein wrote:Are you going to use a "grandmaster" level on Talents?

No.

When you said about a "new class", you're talking about a new specialization, or a 4th main-class?

I mean a class, not a specialization. And it's only speculative at this point.

About the PDF's, do you know (expect) to the frequency to be monthly, weekly?

We're trying to do one Dragon Age or AGE PDF per month and one Chronicle System PDF per month, plus the M&M stuff we already have going on.

BTW, would yourself choose a Bard Specialization in a campaign?

I don't think I've played a bard in any game ever, so probably not, but not every option is going to be for every person.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby Pramas » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:15 pm

Garydee wrote:With the new fantasy setting do you expect to keep the magic level where it is now(which I think is perfect) or are you going to introduce high fantasy spells that include flying, teleportation, raise dead, etc.?

It'll be similar to Dragon Age as far as power level goes.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby jwduis » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:51 pm

Thanks for the answers before.

I have to ask because I loved its first iteration - any plans for Dragon Fist?
jwduis
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Pramas » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:17 pm

jwduis wrote:I have to ask because I loved its first iteration - any plans for Dragon Fist?

I have considered doing it as an AGE game in the future. The main issue there is that Dragon Fist is built on a stunt system that uses all the standard polyhedral dice and AGE only uses d6s. I like the progression of die types that Dragon Fist uses but I also like the simplicity of only using d6s. It's something I'm thinking about anyway.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby Giorgio » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:44 am

Chris,

As a DARPG GM, I am very happy to hear that this game will continue to receive support as I am greatly enjoying your Dragon Age RPG line and I have bought all items you have produced so far, and want to buy more!

Here are five things I would like to ask and submit for your consideration with regards to current and future plans in the DARPG line:

#1) Dragon Age Set 2 came with three action, three combat and stunt reference cards which are a godsend for speeding up play. However, I have six players and I would like for all of them to have their own original set of reference cards. Short of buying another Set 2, is there a way to purchase this reference cards individually or as a set?

#2) Is the DARPG intended to be a complete standalone product with the release of Set 3 (Like the core D&D 4ed Campaign settings of Forgotten Realms, Dark Sun...) with all needed materials for GMs to run campaigns, or is it expected that any background/source material that is missing or can be further expanded will be found online (like the Dragon Age codex and wiki), or threw further campaign books, supplements and PFD materials?

#3) The DARPG materials found in KQ, could you compile it and release it as a PDF/book combo for those of us that don’t have that magazine?

#4) As a GM of D&D/Pathfinder games I make heavy use of miniatures and maps. Those are two missing crucial elements I need to make my DARPG game a better experience for myself and my players, and all of our adventures with DARPG have been with miniatures and maps (WOTC and now Paizo) and have been a success.
As can be found on the Green Ronin forums there are many ideas of miniatures from other companies to use as substitutes for Darkspawn, but that is just a stop-gap measure at best. What I and other DARPG GMs need are a line of Darkspawn miniatures (be it paper, tokens, metal, plastic...).

Considering the wide variety of options available to produce miniatures such as PF Paper Mins; D&D 4E monster tokens, the outstanding cardboard pawns of PF Beginners Box and Bestiary 1 Box, the new line of PPMs like the PF Miniatures line; I would like to know if your company will be supporting DARPG with miniatures or tokens for this game.

5) Once Set 3 is out and the core rules finalized, will you be partnering with any of the mayor online Character Building systems (like Herolabs) for official DARPG data sets?
Giorgio
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby kronovan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:54 am

The plans for 2012 sound great and I'm very glad to hear a new fantasy setting AGE game is in the works. I've consumed everthing you've produced so far for DARPG and my gaming group and I are enjoying them.

Two question I have about DARPG are:

1.) Will you include an adventure generator in Box set 3 or a future supplement?
By that I mean dice rolling tables that will generate a good but loose adventure framework similar to the part and sub-scene structure that Jeff Tidball uses. It would be a plot framework that a GM could then fill in the meat/content for. I do have 3rd party products that can be adapted to do the job, but I always find it most useful when the games developer supplies their own.

2.) Will you include a Combat rating formula in Box set 3?
To further clarify, a formula that considers the most important statistics for combat and produces a value that can be compared against NPC's and beasts. In a nutshell; a number that takes the guess work out of PC Vs NPC balance.
kronovan
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Pramas » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:33 pm

Giorgio wrote:#1) Dragon Age Set 2 came with three action, three combat and stunt reference cards which are a godsend for speeding up play. However, I have six players and I would like for all of them to have their own original set of reference cards. Short of buying another Set 2, is there a way to purchase this reference cards individually or as a set?

Currently, no. The cards we printed up all went into the sets. Printing more and selling them separately creates some logistical headaches, but I'll look into it.

#2) Is the DARPG intended to be a complete standalone product with the release of Set 3 (Like the core D&D 4ed Campaign settings of Forgotten Realms, Dark Sun...) with all needed materials for GMs to run campaigns, or is it expected that any background/source material that is missing or can be further expanded will be found online (like the Dragon Age codex and wiki), or threw further campaign books, supplements and PFD materials?

Set 3 will complete the core rules. That doesn't mean we're going to stop providing new world material in future books and online though.

#3) The DARPG materials found in KQ, could you compile it and release it as a PDF/book combo for those of us that don’t have that magazine?

As a book, unlikely. Some of those articles will appear on our website though.

#4) As a GM of D&D/Pathfinder games I make heavy use of miniatures and maps....I would like to know if your company will be supporting DARPG with miniatures or tokens for this game.

Maybe is all I can say right now. It is no secret that I love miniatures.

5) Once Set 3 is out and the core rules finalized, will you be partnering with any of the mayor online Character Building systems (like Herolabs) for official DARPG data sets?

Due to licensing issues, probably not. When we do the next AGE game, yes.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby Pramas » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:37 pm

kronovan wrote:1.) Will you include an adventure generator in Box set 3 or a future supplement?
By that I mean dice rolling tables that will generate a good but loose adventure framework similar to the part and sub-scene structure that Jeff Tidball uses. It would be a plot framework that a GM could then fill in the meat/content for. I do have 3rd party products that can be adapted to do the job, but I always find it most useful when the games developer supplies their own.

It's not in our current plans but could be something we do in the future.

2.) Will you include a Combat rating formula in Box set 3?
To further clarify, a formula that considers the most important statistics for combat and produces a value that can be compared against NPC's and beasts. In a nutshell; a number that takes the guess work out of PC Vs NPC balance.

I am reluctant to do so. In my experience, such systems never work because the size and power of adventuring parties varies wildly.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby Ziderich » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:48 am

Pramas wrote:We may indeed do another Chronicle System game in the future, but that would be years down the line at this point. It occurred to me it'd be a pretty good fit for the Black Company--you could modify the house rules to handle running a mercenary company--but our license for that ended years ago.

Eternal rome and other Mythic Vistas scenarios fit well, too.
Ziderich
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Aldarc » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:54 pm

Will the new AGE system books be released in level-based chunks/box sets like what was done for Dragon Age? Or will it take a traditional/True20-style approach of simply having a player's handbook, gamemaster's guide, and bestiary?
Aldarc
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Pramas » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:47 pm

Aldarc wrote:Will the new AGE system books be released in level-based chunks/box sets like what was done for Dragon Age? Or will it take a traditional/True20-style approach of simply having a player's handbook, gamemaster's guide, and bestiary?

It will not be a series of boxed sets a la Dragon Age. It's not nailed down but the likely format is a core rulebook and then a world book.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby Aldarc » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:54 am

Pramas wrote:It will not be a series of boxed sets a la Dragon Age. It's not nailed down but the likely format is a core rulebook and then a world book.
That was quick. Thanks for the timely answer. I am getting really excited for these upcoming AGE products. :D
Aldarc
Bystander
Bystander

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion