Green Ronin in 2012

Here you can discuss and ask questions about upcoming Green Ronin products and anything else that doesn't fit into one of the categories.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Green Ronin in 2012

Postby Pramas » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:46 am

If you've got questions about Green Ronin's 2012 plans, ask them here.

The original article is here: http://greenronin.com/2012/01/green_ronin_in_2012.php.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Re: Green Ronin in 2012

Postby newbiedm » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:12 am

Chris, as a big fan of the DA tabletop game, I'm looking forward to both set 3, and a generic AGE ruleset.

Are there any plans to collect the Dragon Age sets into a hardback, kind of like the Rules Cyclopedia did with BECMI?

Also, will the DLC for Dragon Age stop once set3 is released, or will you continue to support the setting?
newbiedm
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Pramas » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:17 am

newbiedm wrote:Are there any plans to collect the Dragon Age sets into a hardback, kind of like the Rules Cyclopedia did with BECMI?

It's a possibility certainly but I wouldn't go so far as to call it a plan at this stage.

Also, will the DLC for Dragon Age stop once set3 is released, or will you continue to support the setting?

Dragon Age as a line does not end with Set 3. There will be both print and PDF products after.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby JoJa » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:21 am

Chris,
First, thanks for giving us a chance to ask questions. Will the AGE system project in 2013 be tied to an existing GR ip such as Freeport, or be completely new? And will that product serve as the generic AGE rules or will GR eventually release the AGE system in a format completely divorced from a game setting?

Thanks again.
JoJa
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Pramas » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:33 am

JoJa wrote:Chris,
First, thanks for giving us a chance to ask questions. Will the AGE system project in 2013 be tied to an existing GR ip such as Freeport, or be completely new?

It's a brand new world that we're developing now.

And will that product serve as the generic AGE rules or will GR eventually release the AGE system in a format completely divorced from a game setting?

We're trying to design the game to make it easy for you to break out the rules if you don't want to use our setting. We aren't planning a generic release a la True20.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby newbiedm » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:50 am

I know you asked people to post here with questions and not opinions, but I'll throw one out anyway... pdf's set up like the old D&D Gazeteers, with information on different parts of the world of Thedas, would be fantastic.
newbiedm
Bystander
Bystander

Postby JoJa » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:53 am

Chris,

I know it's probably too early to talk about it, but with AGE already having a fantasy setting in #DARPG, will the new setting being developed by Green Ronin right now also be a fantasy setting, or something else?
JoJa
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby usgrandprix » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:06 pm

Thanks for the update.

I'm really excited about the new AGE game. I really like the rule set but for me piecing together the Dragon Age world is cumbersome sometimes. This sounds like the answer.

FWIW, I really like how AGE ties character creation to (whatever) setting so please keep that if you can.
usgrandprix
Bystander
Bystander

Postby KingBeast » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:15 pm

Pramas wrote:
newbiedm wrote:Are there any plans to collect the Dragon Age sets into a hardback, kind of like the Rules Cyclopedia did with BECMI?

It's a possibility certainly but I wouldn't go so far as to call it a plan at this stage.

Dragon Age as a line does not end with Set 3. There will be both print and PDF products after.

This is EXCELLENT news! I am late to the Dragon Age scene but I think it is superb. Great to hear. :D
[b]GAME ON![/b]
John T>
Visit my anime and RPG review blog http://www.usandacat.com/thelair/
KingBeast
Bystander
Bystander

Postby jasko » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:47 pm

I love SIFRP - we're just ramping up our second campaign with the system. But the existing book is sometimes clunky in use - it can be hard to find details and information in the middle of a game. If the new edition comes out with an improved index and a collection of important tables in the back of the book, I'll be in for another copy!

Also, keep doing "tablet formatted" PDF releases! I bought a Kindle Fire just for reading RPG PDFs only to find that most games are unreadable on a screen of that aspect ratio - I haven't bought SIFRP in that format (partially because it's a stripped-down edition for use with e-readers, too) - but I like where you're going and I would like to see more!

Whoops - I sort of forgot to ask in the form of a question! So here goes:

1) Will the new SIFRP edition be re-indexed and / or reorganized in addition to having Peril appended?
2) Will you be supporting portrait-oriented tablet readers with more PDF releases? And if so, will any of those have art, linking, and other "beyond e-reader" features?
Last edited by jasko on Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasko
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Pramas » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:51 pm

JoJa wrote:Chris,

I know it's probably too early to talk about it, but with AGE already having a fantasy setting in #DARPG, will the new setting being developed by Green Ronin right now also be a fantasy setting, or something else?

Yes, it's a fantasy setting. Fantasy AGE is clearly what folks are most interested in, so it would have been weird to start with scifi or something.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby Pramas » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:53 pm

usgrandprix wrote:FWIW, I really like how AGE ties character creation to (whatever) setting so please keep that if you can.

That is the plan, although we'll also likely have some examples of more generic backgrounds.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby Pytorb » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:26 pm

Sound like great plans for 2012! For the Chronicle System pdfs will there be any expanding magic in a more traditional direction which might give it a wider audience or will it stay wonderfully dark, mysterious and narrative driven? As you can tell I'm of torn between the two options ;-)
Pytorb
Booster
Booster

Postby jwduis » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:27 pm

Chris, what levels will The Deep Roads be for, and are there any other Dragon Age adventures on the horizon for higher-level (7+) characters?
jwduis
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Pramas » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:55 pm

jasko wrote:1) Will the new SIFRP edition be re-indexed and / or reorganized in addition to having Peril appended.

In some minor ways, but not in wholesale fashion.

2) Will you be supporting portrait-oriented tablet readers with more PDF releases? And if so, will any of those have art, linking, and other "beyond e-reader" features?

We'd like to. It's a matter of resources, so I can't say more than maybe right now.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby Pramas » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:56 pm

Pytorb wrote:Sound like great plans for 2012! For the Chronicle System pdfs will there be any expanding magic in a more traditional direction which might give it a wider audience or will it stay wonderfully dark, mysterious and narrative driven? As you can tell I'm of torn between the two options ;-)

Magic system options are something we're looking at for Chronicle System PDFs. These would be for folks who want to use the rules for a setting other than Ice and Fire.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby Pramas » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:58 pm

jwduis wrote:Chris, what levels will The Deep Roads be for, and are there any other Dragon Age adventures on the horizon for higher-level (7+) characters?

Roughly levels 6-12. Set 3 itself will have an adventure for levels 11+.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby si1vergecko » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:08 pm

Chris,

I know you already stated that the next AGE project is going to be a fantasy game but is there any plans at all to release a sci fi setting down the line?
si1vergecko
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Pramas » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:01 pm

si1vergecko wrote:I know you already stated that the next AGE project is going to be a fantasy game but is there any plans at all to release a sci fi setting down the line?

We are looking at doing other genres down the line and scifi would be on the short list.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby Garydee » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:25 pm

Will this new fantasy AGE have more traditional classes and races in it? Perhaps a Paladin and a halfling?
Garydee
Bystander
Bystander

Postby JA Johns » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:47 pm

Any chance we can see the new SoIaF cover when you get it in??

On the subject of SoIaF art, is the Nights Watch sourcebook going to continue using art from the cardgame like the Campaign Guide did? Cause the card game has awesome artwork!
JA Johns
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Pramas » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:03 pm

Garydee wrote:Will this new fantasy AGE have more traditional classes and races in it? Perhaps a Paladin and a halfling?

We're not going to add a bunch of new classes. Maybe one. If you wanted to play a paladin, you'd use appropriate talents and maybe a specialization with the warrior class. No one has yet convinced me that halflings are necessary for this setting, though if you want an AGE background for halflings you can find one in the Freeport AGE article I wrote for Kobold Quarterly.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby Pramas » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:05 pm

JA Johns wrote:Any chance we can see the new SoIaF cover when you get it in??

Of course!

On the subject of SoIaF art, is the Nights Watch sourcebook going to continue using art from the cardgame like the Campaign Guide did? Cause the card game has awesome artwork!

No, it was getting too expensive so we've stopped using it. For only a little more money, we can commission art that we own, which is better for us in the long run.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby JA Johns » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:47 pm

Ah well, still awesome!
JA Johns
Bystander
Bystander

Postby NickMiddleton » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:21 am

Pramas wrote:...No one has yet convinced me that halflings are necessary for this setting, though if you want an AGE background for halflings you can find one in the Freeport AGE article I wrote for Kobold Quarterly.

Halflings, like Orcs, are one of the "staples" (i.e. clumsy rip-offs from Tolkein too often used carelessly and without enough creative thought) that I'd be happy to NEVER see in another setting again...

Ahem, this is probably more a question for the KQ folk - but would Green Ronin be agreeable in principle to at some point all that cool stuff that's been in various issues of KQ being collected together as an "AGE Compendium"? Fond as I am of KQ, flipping between issues for stuff is a pest.

Cheers,

NDM
NickMiddleton
Dabbler
Dabbler

Next

Return to General Discussion