Mighty Blow and Leathal Blow

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

Mighty Blow and Leathal Blow

Postby Jason_Sunday » Fri May 13, 2011 9:14 pm

Can you stack Mighty Blow and Leathal Blow?
Jason_Sunday
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Re: Mighty Blow and Leathal Blow

Postby Machpants » Fri May 13, 2011 9:29 pm

How would you get 7 on your Dragon Die?
Machpants
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby YMMV » Fri May 13, 2011 10:25 pm

The quickest way to do it is to have the journeyman level in two-hander style which lowers mighty blow's cost to 1 SP. So with 6 SP you could do both, and since it doesn't say otherwise, I would assume they stack.

And just to add insult to injury, berserkers with the two-hander talent can perform both stunts for 5 SP at 10th level. Although, at that level, it might not be as abusive as it looks.
YMMV
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jason_Sunday » Fri May 13, 2011 11:07 pm

YMMV wrote:The quickest way to do it is to have the journeyman level in two-hander style which lowers mighty blow's cost to 1 SP. So with 6 SP you could do both, and since it doesn't say otherwise, I would assume they stack.

This is exactly what my player wants to do.
Jason_Sunday
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Machpants » Fri May 13, 2011 11:13 pm

In that case go for it, and beef up the enemies Health ;)
Machpants
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Crazydwarf » Sat May 14, 2011 1:21 am

Machpants wrote:In that case go for it, and beef up the enemies Health ;)

Then yes he can, asfar as I know the only restriction is you cannot use the same stunt more than once in a single round.
And I would avoid beefing up any health personally.
If the player is that bent on inflicting mass amounts of damage, and spending alot of character resources on it...Then why not let him profit and enjoy it ?
Crazydwarf
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby The Glen » Sat May 14, 2011 6:33 am

Doesn't lethal blow specifically say you can't combine them? I've only got the beta, but page 46 gives that restriction.
The Glen
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Admiral Yacob » Sat May 14, 2011 7:35 am

That restriction was specifically written in the beta but it is not listed in the final version....interesting.
Admiral Yacob
Booster
Booster

Postby Lyger » Sat May 14, 2011 9:06 am

Crazydwarf wrote:And I would avoid beefing up any health personally.
If the player is that bent on inflicting mass amounts of damage, and spending alot of character resources on it...Then why not let him profit and enjoy it ?

I'm with Crazydwarf on this one. Giving enemies increased health because of the possibility of combining a pair of stunts now puts the players in the position of having to combine those stunts whenever possible, otherwise, the combats simply become harder for them. If Mighty Blow and Lethal Blow together seems too overwhelming, simply re-institute the combo restriction from the Beta rules.
Lyger
Booster
Booster

Postby Machpants » Sat May 14, 2011 12:03 pm

The increased health idea was a joke see> ;)

;)
Machpants
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Balgin Stondraeg » Sat May 14, 2011 1:52 pm

Machpants wrote:How would you get 7 on your Dragon Die?

Well.... in normal circumstances it simply wouldn't happen. However.... If one of the characters has a certain magic tiem (the Link of Rage) from the set 1 adventure, it allows them to perform stunts against demons for 1 point cheaper (down to a minimum of 1). So they could Mighty Blow & Lethal Blow for only 5 stunt points.

Additionaly for an ogre Lethal Blow is only a 3 point stunt. So an ogre can combine the two as well. Whilst a player character cannot normal pull off such a mighty feat, big strong nasty monsters like ogres can (if they get enough stunt points). That can make them pretty devastating :o .
Balgin Stondraeg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby Crazydwarf » Sat May 14, 2011 2:10 pm

Machpants wrote:The increased health idea was a joke see> ;)

;)

Guess I was temporarily humor impared then :)
Crazydwarf
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby Machpants » Sat May 14, 2011 5:10 pm

Crazydwarf wrote:
Machpants wrote:The increased health idea was a joke see> ;)

;)

Guess I was temporarily humor impared then :)

That's all right, it wasn't a very good joke!
Machpants
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby baronzaltor » Sun May 15, 2011 6:07 pm

Since the text that specifically said they didnt stack was removed from beta into live, i presume they are allowed to stack fine.

The only normal incident of being able to do so would be a two hander warror (which reduces mighty blow to 1 point) or a master berserker (which reduces lethal blow to 4) so it shouldnt be all that common.

Though a duelist rogue can get a pretty nasty lethal blow+armor penetration for 6 stunt points as well.
baronzaltor
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Hellebore » Sun May 15, 2011 6:23 pm

baronzaltor wrote:Since the text that specifically said they didnt stack was removed from beta into live, i presume they are allowed to stack fine.

The only normal incident of being able to do so would be a two hander warror (which reduces mighty blow to 1 point) or a master berserker (which reduces lethal blow to 4) so it shouldnt be all that common.

Though a duelist rogue can get a pretty nasty lethal blow+armor penetration for 6 stunt points as well.

So a warrior berserker could lethal blow, mighty blow and then skirmish (plus novice free skirmish) if they got 6 stunt points...

Hellebore
Hellebore
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Crazydwarf » Mon May 16, 2011 1:09 am

Holy manga, Batman !
Crazydwarf
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby baronzaltor » Mon May 16, 2011 7:17 am

Hellebore wrote:
baronzaltor wrote:Since the text that specifically said they didnt stack was removed from beta into live, i presume they are allowed to stack fine.

So a warrior berserker could lethal blow, mighty blow and then skirmish (plus novice free skirmish) if they got 6 stunt points...

Hellebore

a 2 hander berserker could lethal+mighty blow, and then re-roll the damage if he doesnt like how the dice landed, skirmish the target, and then also knock them even further with the journeyman 2 hander ability for a "free" skirmish.

Or he could lethal+mightiy blow, let the journeyman ability skirmish the target for him, and use the extra point to stay aware instead.

I still think in the long run the ability for a Rouge to Lethal Blow + 1 point Armor Pierce (full penetration as duelist) is more deadly than Mighty+Lethal blows though.
baronzaltor
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Lyger » Mon May 16, 2011 7:31 am

baronzaltor wrote:a 2 hander berserker could lethal+mighty blow, and then re-roll the damage if he doesnt like how the dice landed, skirmish the target, and then also knock them even further with the journeyman 2 hander ability for a "free" skirmish.

I think someone got their Record of Lodoss War on my Dragon Age. (Or did I get my Dragon Age on their Record of Lodoss War?) Whether or not these are two great tastes that taste great together remains to be seen.
Lyger
Booster
Booster

Postby baronzaltor » Mon May 16, 2011 1:40 pm

Lyger wrote:
baronzaltor wrote:a 2 hander berserker could lethal+mighty blow, and then re-roll the damage if he doesnt like how the dice landed, skirmish the target, and then also knock them even further with the journeyman 2 hander ability for a "free" skirmish.

I think someone got their Record of Lodoss War on my Dragon Age. (Or did I get my Dragon Age on their Record of Lodoss War?) Whether or not these are two great tastes that taste great together remains to be seen.

Record of Lodoss War is pretty tame compared to what combat looks like in Dragon Age 2.
baronzaltor
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby musoholic » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:04 am

I typed up my own stunt reference sheets for my party, just to tidy up some wording and make a few house rule adjustments. The text from Lethal Blow on that sheet says:

"Does not stack with Mighty Blow. Why? Because that would be silly."

I have enough trouble balancing the huge difference in damage outputs between my greataxe wielding Avvar Warrior and paired weapons Fereldan Rogue, thanks very much. :D

Again, just a house rule, but I think an extra 2d6 is more than enough damage when you consider that's can be doubling or tripling the number of dice rolled.
No path is darker than when your eyes are shut
musoholic
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Luskar » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:08 am

Don't forget that the Invigorate spell gives +1sp. So you actually get 7 sp on a roll of 6 which puts the ability to do massive damage in everyones range.

It also means a two hander berzerker can get both stunts on a 4, so they can do it 50% of the time when generating stunt points.

Combine it with flaming weapons and you have devastation. 7d6+STR+3 damage, with a reroll if you dont like it. Nice!
Luskar
Bystander
Bystander

Return to Dragon Age RPG