Cinematic Use of Stunts

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Cinematic Use of Stunts

Postby Deirain » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:23 am

I was wondering if anyone else would like to share their favorite cinematic uses of stunts they've seen in game? I'll start us off with a few of my personal favorites from my current campaign.

1. A warrior NPC used Mighty Blow to punch a PC's shield into his face, breaking his nose.
2. A rogue PC used Mighty Blow, Skirmish, and Knock Prone to cause an enemy to stumble backwards a few feet, trip and crack his head on an exposed rock.
3. The previously mentioned sword-and-board PC used Knock Prone and Mighty Blow to shield bash an enemy in the knee cap and force him to the ground.

Anyway, those are my favorites so far, what have you guys got?
Deirain
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Cinematic Use of Stunts

Postby 5trangeCase » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:04 am

Might Blow, Skirmish, Disarm and Pierce Armour (oh hellz yeah). The staff wielder leaps into the air, smashing the staff down onto the exposed forehead of the Darkspawn, the sheer strength of the blows follows through and fractures the creature's hand, causing it to drop it's weapon. Using the momentum of the staff swing she spins around and kicks the creature in the sternum, forcing it backwards. In a one on one fight between this Level 5 character and a Hurlock, that was one epic moment in an otherwise disappointing fight in which her pathetic staff damage kind of failed to make the Hurlock's AR8 stumble. I think she did 6 damage (after AR) with that attack :D
5trangeCase
Bystander
Bystander

Postby si1vergecko » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:52 pm

With my elf rouge archer character I used lethal blow to hit an assassin for a large amount of damage. And then I used the one stunt point I had left to skirmish them out of the window which was on the third story over a paved road.
si1vergecko
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Guardian of the Peak » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:19 pm

As the GM of a group of creative people I'm used to seeing some crazy ways to use stunts. Here's just a couple.

The party's main warrior, an Avvarian Hillsman named Nidhogg, was faced with finishing off an ogre but required help from one of the rogues, the Dalish Elf Montiech. Nodhogg inflicted heavy damage on the ogre but it needed to be finished off. Montiech used skirmish to leap off of Nidhogg's shoulder, moon flip and land on the ogre's back, and deliver a lightning attack to its temple regions, killing it.

The dwarven rogue of the group, Givvec, was faced with an angry Hurlock on a battlefield consisting of several burning caravan carts. After a few traded blows Givvec got the upper hand and delivered a mighty blow along with pierce armor (1sp from being level 2) and lightning attack. The hurlock was pinned through the stomach by Givvec's blades into the side of a burning cart. I did indeed roll to see if the hurlock could get off, he didn't, and so burned to death pinned to the cart.

There's a lot more than that though, my friends can be very creative with their kills.
Guardian of the Peak
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Guardian of the Peak » Mon May 07, 2012 12:16 pm

Okay I've got a new one.

The mage Nagash and warrior Nidhogg teamed up to take down a trio of hurlocks in a recent battle. Nidhogg softened them up with blows from his two-handed weapons while Nagash infused one of them with a Walking Bomb spell. Acting quickly as the other two were nearby one another, Nidhogg delivered a double skirmish on his killing blow to the infected one to send it flying like a grenade at the other two. This killed one, and severely injured the other to the point of bleed-out.
Guardian of the Peak
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Etarnon » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:27 pm

Our Dwarf warrior fell off the cliff in Arl's Ransom. Batterred and bruised, he was abole to stick a spear into the rock face. Then trying to climb down from halfway, promptly fell, then caught himself.

The Genlock that pushed him off with skirmish got charged (skirmish) by the team mutt. Genlock falling off the cliff , the Dwarf moved beneath and rolled lethal blow, thus the genlock fell atop the spear, and was skewered to deth on the tip, in the tradition of many action movies.
Organizer, Steel City Gamers Meetup, Pittsburgh
http://www.meetup.com/Steel-City-Gamers/
Etarnon
Bystander
Bystander

Return to Dragon Age RPG