AGE of Conan - first draft published!

Discuss our dark fantasy adventure tabletop roleplaying game based on BioWare's computer game, Dragon Age Origins.

AGE of Conan - first draft published!

Postby Vaelorn » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:57 am

For those that are interested in such things I've posted the first draft of my Conan mod for Dragon Age on my blog at
http://vaelorn.wordpress.com/2011/09/10/age-of-conan-modification-draft-version/.

I'd be happy to get back any (constructive!) feedback.
Vaelorn
Dabbler
Dabbler

Re: AGE of Conan - first draft published!

Postby Saisei » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:32 am

Briefly skimmed the PDF and I'm seriously impressed.

The work you've put into it is fantastic and a very clever approach tot he backgrounds and the like. Really really like it.
Saisei
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Admiral Yacob » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:52 am

This is awesome. I'm reading it through right now.

Just spotted a typo (I think). Under Kushite, on page 2, you list Dexterity (Stealth) but the description appears to be more about Strength (Spears).

Another question point, under Vendhyan on page 4, you mention they get Communication (Persuasion) but the explanation is that they are "an ancient, cultured and well-educated race." I'm just curious if you meant a lore instead of persuasion.

Just finished the races, I will update if I find anything else. So far, awesome

*EDIT* A recommendation might be to do a brief listing of countries just below the racial listing. This will allow users to more easily skim the countries section after they have chosen their race to find the countries they can consider.
Admiral Yacob
Booster
Booster

Postby Vaelorn » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:56 am

Thanks for the kind words!

Admiral Yacob wrote:Just spotted a typo (I think). Under Kushite, on page 2, you list Dexterity (Stealth) but the description appears to be more about Strength (Spears).

Yes, I think you're right!

Admiral Yacob wrote:Another question point, under Vendhyan on page 4, you mention they get Communication (Persuasion) but the explanation is that they are "an ancient, cultured and well-educated race." I'm just curious if you meant a lore instead of persuasion.

I'll have a look at that - I may have edited the description too severely.

Admiral Yacob wrote:A recommendation might be to do a brief listing of countries just below the racial listing. This will allow users to more easily skim the countries section after they have chosen their race to find the countries they can consider.

I had that originally, but wanted to save some space! I can put it back in if you think it will help.
Vaelorn
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Vaelorn » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:58 am

Saisei wrote:Briefly skimmed the PDF and I'm seriously impressed.

The work you've put into it is fantastic and a very clever approach tot he backgrounds and the like. Really really like it.

Thanks! I meant to put in the acknowledgements that I got the idea for the backgrounds from this web site:

http://xoth.net/blog/2010/03/cultural-archetypes/
Vaelorn
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Hellebore » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:18 pm

Very nice! Really well put together and laid out. gives a real sense of the people of Hyboria and cleverly uses the DA rules to represent them. Thumbs up. 8)

What program did you use to do the layout?

Hellebore
Hellebore
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Vaelorn » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:14 am

Hellebore wrote:Very nice! Really well put together and laid out. gives a real sense of the people of Hyboria and cleverly uses the DA rules to represent them. Thumbs up. 8)

Hellebore

Thanks! I used Pages on the Mac. I'm also slightly OC about document formatting!
Vaelorn
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Andferne » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:35 pm

I'd like to echo what's been said here. You did a wonderful job with this. It looks great.
The world still needs Heroes
Andferne
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby raithane » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:09 am

Now to stat up some common and not so common adversaries!!! Great work!!!
raithane
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Vaelorn » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:24 am

raithane wrote:Now to stat up some common and not so common adversaries!!! Great work!!!

Thanks! Yes, a bestiary is on the 'to-do' list! Of course, most of Conan's foes are humans of various types which makes it a bit easier.
Vaelorn
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby raithane » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:39 am

I think a good start would be to make some templates of the human adversaries from the different culture/sub types

Raithane
raithane
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Vaelorn » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:56 am

Yes, that's the plan: Pictish Raider, Zamoran Assassin, Red Brotherhood Pirate etc!
Vaelorn
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Siroh » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:56 pm

Vaelorn wrote:
Hellebore wrote:Very nice! Really well put together and laid out. gives a real sense of the people of Hyboria and cleverly uses the DA rules to represent them. Thumbs up. 8)

Hellebore

Thanks! I used Pages on the Mac. I'm also slightly OC about document formatting!

Pages _is_ awesome. It's what I use for everything.
Byron D. Molix
Eidolon Core blog
Siroh
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Hellebore » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:26 pm

Not having owned a mac or really used one I'm not familiar with it.

I use Adobe Indesign for all my layout needs. I originally started using it because I could drop a photoshop doc straight into it and it would preserve transparencies, something I find very handy.

Pages looks like it does some great stuff. Read the wiki on it, seems to be a cross between a word processor and layout.

Hellebore
Hellebore
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Siroh » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:49 pm

I've used Illustrator to make character sheets and maps before, and learned how to use InDesign, but never used it for a whole book project though. I don't have access to a copy of CS now anyway, so this suits my modest needs for now.

Vaelorn, if you feel inclined, there is this java based bookmark creation program. I used it to insert the PDF bookmarks into the Mystara book I made. It isn't fun to use, but it is cross platform and doesn't cost anything. http://flavianopetrocchi.blogspot.com/
Byron D. Molix
Eidolon Core blog
Siroh
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Vaelorn » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:31 am

@Hellebore: Pages can work in either word processing or layout mode, although I mainly use the former. I'm still getting to grips with the details though!

@Siroh: Thanks, I'll take a look at that! I noticed that although the table of contents in the document itself has working links you don't get anything in the sidebar.
Vaelorn
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby HalWhitewyrm » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:00 am

Vaelorn, ready for this to go up on the Oracle this week?
HalWhitewyrm
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Vaelorn » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:57 am

HalWhitewyrm wrote:Vaelorn, ready for this to go up on the Oracle this week?

Sure! That would be great!
Vaelorn
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby JoJa » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:03 pm

Vaelorn,

I haven't had a chance to take a look at this yet as I've been busy with RL and finally getting the revised Dragon Hack playtest out the door, but reading through the Age of Conan pdf is on the top of my list this week. Can't wait to see what you've been up to. Cheers!

P.S. I have both a mac and PC, and while I use inDesign for some things (like the layout on the Who Watches the Watchfires free adventure) I use Pages for almost everything. So easy to compose and format things. All the Dragon Hack docs have been done in it.
JoJa
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Vaelorn » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:34 am

@JoJa: Yes RL can get in the way! I'd be interested to see what you think of the Conan mod! Also check out my blog - I've put up a background for Shifters in the Eberron setting and will be putting more bits and pieces on there in the next few days...
Vaelorn
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Zapp » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:02 pm

Cool stuff.

Makes me dream Green Ronin picks up the Conan license to make your idea into a real game... Already at v0.1 your game (and the AGE) engine fits fast-flowing sword-and-sorcery soo much better than the complex d20 ruleset...
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Vaelorn » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:28 am

Zapp wrote:Cool stuff.

Makes me dream Green Ronin picks up the Conan license to make your idea into a real game... Already at v0.1 your game (and the AGE) engine fits fast-flowing sword-and-sorcery soo much better than the complex d20 ruleset...

Thanks! If you (or anyone else) has any playtest experiences I'd love to hear them! I think the AGE system hits the sweet spot between complexity and playability just right!
Vaelorn
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby camazotz » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:02 am

Just wanted to say this is a brilliant adaptation, thank you for your work on it. I just "discovered" Dragon Age the pnp edition by way of playing the CRPG (and was left wanting more of Thedas and the setting) but I'm an old Howard/Conan fan and frankly I think I am going to see if I can sell my group on trying out your adaptation for the AGE System.
camazotz
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Vaelorn » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:33 pm

@Camaztoz: That would be awesome! Please let me know how it goes. I'm working on v0.2, when I get time anyway!
Vaelorn
Dabbler
Dabbler

Return to Dragon Age RPG