Starting New Campaigns = Happy

This forum has been locked to further posting but will be maintained here as an archive. Please visit http://true20.com for the True20 and Blue Rose forums.

Starting New Campaigns = Happy

Postby FickleGM » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:59 am

I'm starting four new campaigns this weekend (starting last night, actually). I haven't run True20 in over two months, so I am very happy.

Just wanted to share... :D
FickleGM
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby DnDChick » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:10 am

DnDChick
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Dragonspawn » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:24 am

FOUR new campaigns? :o You must have a lot more free time than I do! :D
Dragonspawn
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby FickleGM » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:53 am

Dragonspawn wrote:FOUR new campaigns? :o You must have a lot more free time than I do! :D

I wish.

All of the campaigns are taking place in the same setting (a new homebrew that I am working on) and three of them are one-on-one games (with my wife and two oldest daughters - since they don't want to play together...trust me, it's better this way). Only one campaign has to worry about any group dynamics.

As far as preparation goes, I never did much before, so why start now... :green:

I'm just happy to be running True20 again.
FickleGM
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby DnDChick » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:43 am

I've been working on my own homebrew world as well, converting it and updating it when I have time.

My first official True20 game, however, will be a pirate-era game. It's set in the real world, but all the old superstitions and sailors' tales such as mermaids, sea monsters, and ghosts are real. :yar:

I will be borrowing heavily from GR's own Skull and Bones, and other sources such as Mongoose's Seas of Blood and Necromancer Games' Dead Man's Chest. Naturally, I will also be drawing inspriation from the Pirates of the Caribbean movie(s).

So far, the character concepts I've had pitched to me are a near-deaf gunner, a hougan who is a freed Haitian slave, and a ship's cook with a mean streak and penchant for fighting with kitchen implements. :lol:
DnDChick
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby FickleGM » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:09 pm

DnDChick wrote:I've been working on my own homebrew world as well, converting it and updating it when I have time.

My first official True20 game, however, will be a pirate-era game. It's set in the real world, but all the old superstitions and sailors' tales such as mermaids, sea monsters, and ghosts are real. :yar:

I will be borrowing heavily from GR's own Skull and Bones, and other sources such as Mongoose's Seas of Blood and Necromancer Games' Dead Man's Chest. Naturally, I will also be drawing inspriation from the Pirates of the Caribbean movie(s).

So far, the character concepts I've had pitched to me are a near-deaf gunner, a hougan who is a freed Haitian slave, and a ship's cook with a mean streak and penchant for fighting with kitchen implements. :lol:

Cool, my homebrew has strong pirate themes. Good luck with your pirate game as well as with completing your homebrew.

My homebrew is nowhere near ready, but I'm going just take what I have so far and run with it. I stating up front that nothing is set in stone and any input that they have can help shape the world. I just want to run a True20 game so bad that I don't want to wait until I have completed the world (and the players don't want to start a character that isn't going to last long).

Anyway, good gaming and have fun...
FickleGM
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby razorwise » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:59 am

DnDChick wrote:I've been working on my own homebrew world as well, converting it and updating it when I have time.

When, honestly, do you have free time? :)

DnDChick wrote:My first official True20 game, however, will be a pirate-era game. It's set in the real world, but all the old superstitions and sailors' tales such as mermaids, sea monsters, and ghosts are real. :yar:

Sounds cool. From your website, seems quite a diversion from your other interests, but lotsa fun. I expect a "Horror on the High Seas" adventure from you! "What's that, Mr. Smith? You've spotted that tentacled menace off the starboard side? Prepare a volley! You won't escape me now, Cthluhu!" :green:

DnDChick wrote:I will be borrowing heavily from GR's own Skull and Bones, and other sources such as Mongoose's Seas of Blood and Necromancer Games' Dead Man's Chest. Naturally, I will also be drawing inspriation from the Pirates of the Caribbean movie(s).

I might also suggest taking a look at 50 Fathoms from Pinnacle. Cool stuff with lots of good plot points and savage tales. I'd posit it as The Pirates of Dark Waters meets Pirates of the Carribean as it juxtaposes fantasy with fact. ;)

Ahem. Now, to return to point, FickleGM, one-on-one adventures are a lot of fun and that's how I first ran SW, M&M, and the True20 system. The latter was especially fun. I ran it on the fly by pulling down The Warlock of Firetop Mountain book I got for my daughter a few years ago; it's one of those "Fighting Fantasy Gamebook" that's been around a long time and we used it to put the system through its paces."

It's cool to hear about game systems that draw people in and True20 has a great deal of appeal. I'm glad you're kicking off a campaign. A lot of fun can be had in developing a world while people are gaming in it. The upside is a lot of flexibility during the design process and inspiration from the players. You just have to keep on your toes! :)

Regards,

Sean
razorwise
Bystander
Bystander

Postby DnDChick » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:38 am

razorwise wrote:
DnDChick wrote:My first official True20 game, however, will be a pirate-era game. It's set in the real world, but all the old superstitions and sailors' tales such as mermaids, sea monsters, and ghosts are real. :yar:

Sounds cool. From your website, seems quite a diversion from your other interests, but lotsa fun. I expect a "Horror on the High Seas" adventure from you! "What's that, Mr. Smith? You've spotted that tentacled menace off the starboard side? Prepare a volley! You won't escape me now, Cthluhu!" :green:

It is, a bit, but come on now, who doesn't love pirates?

Well ... the swashbuckling, fantasy, romanticized version of them, that is ... :yar:

I like folklore and mythology, Cthulhu stuff, and so on, and all of that kind of stuff can easily come together in a game inspired by the PotC films.

I first got the idea a year or two ago when the "Pirates of the Spanish Main" card/constructable ships game was sweeping through the game store. I wanted to try something different, the PotC movie was still fresh and new, and I got inspired. :)

I was going to use d20 Modern/Past, but then the True20 PDF came along and I decided to go with that instead.
DnDChick
Dabbler
Dabbler

Return to True20 Archives