True 20 - Worlds of Adventure

This forum has been locked to further posting but will be maintained here as an archive. Please visit http://true20.com for the True20 and Blue Rose forums.

True 20 - Worlds of Adventure

Postby skywalker » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:26 pm

I see Amazon has a second release for True 20 called "Worlds of Adventure" due in July and 128 pages:

"Fantastic worlds of adventure await you! The True20 Adventure Roleplaying game introduced players to fantastic worlds of excitement and now Worlds of Adventure opens up whole new vistas with new heroes to play, new battles to fight, and new stories to tell. Featuring more winners from Green Ronin's "True20 Setting Search," Worlds of Adventure launches several new True20 publishers with their first settings for the game. Like the True20 Adventure Roleplaying book, Worlds of Adventure shows off the potential of the game with five settings in five different genres."
[b]Playing:[/b] Lure of the Expanse (Rogue Trader)
[b]Running:[/b] Unbridled Blade (Atlantis: The Second Age)
[b]Planning:[/b] None
skywalker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby Zulgyan » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:48 pm

any clue what settings will they be?
Zulgyan
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Nikdo » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:30 am

Zulgyan wrote:any clue what settings will they be?

The three settings that will be in the main True20 book will be announced in the Feb. issue of Dragon magazine (which is available in Jan). We won't find out until some time after that.

--Nikdo
Nikdo
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Steve Kenson » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:20 am

Nikdo wrote:The three settings that will be in the main True20 book will be announced in the Feb. issue of Dragon magazine (which is available in Jan).

Four settings in the True20 Adventure Roleplaying book, actually, but otherwise you're quite right.
Steve Kenson
Green Ronin Publishing
Steve Kenson
Ronin Steve
Ronin Steve

Postby Zulgyan » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:29 am

four setting announce in the magazine.
But the settings in the book will be 5, won't they?
Zulgyan
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Steve Kenson » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:50 am

Yes, Worlds of Adventure will have five settings in it.
Steve Kenson
Green Ronin Publishing
Steve Kenson
Ronin Steve
Ronin Steve

Postby Nikdo » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:58 pm

Steve Kenson wrote:Yes, Worlds of Adventure will have five settings in it.

Very cool. Can you give any hints like if there will be a sci-fi setting? I understand if you can't but I thought I'd ask anyhow.

--Nikdo
Nikdo
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Steve Kenson » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:47 am

Sorry, no hints until the Dragon magazine announcement. All I can say is that the True20 settings in both books span a range of genres.
Steve Kenson
Green Ronin Publishing
Steve Kenson
Ronin Steve
Ronin Steve

Postby Nikdo » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:35 pm

Oh goodie. Man, between True20/Blue Rose and Mutants & Masterminds, I don't really need any other games. Well, okay, I'm looking forward to Dragonfist too... nuff said, I'm making a fool of myself.

--Nikdo
Nikdo
Bystander
Bystander

Postby JongWK » Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:29 am

So the fifth one would be a new Green Ronin setting?
My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
--Thomas Paine
JongWK
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Steve Kenson » Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:51 pm

JongWK wrote:So the fifth one would be a new Green Ronin setting?

Yes, it's being done in-house.
Steve Kenson
Green Ronin Publishing
Steve Kenson
Ronin Steve
Ronin Steve

Postby Zulgyan » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:13 pm

I hope we get a traditional fantasy setting. But I doubt that will happen.
Zulgyan
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Steve Kenson » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:21 pm

Zulgyan wrote:I hope we get a traditional fantasy setting. But I doubt that will happen.

Depends on your definition of "traditional".
Steve Kenson
Green Ronin Publishing
Steve Kenson
Ronin Steve
Ronin Steve

Postby langeweile » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:51 am

traditional... so whats about blue rose ?
can't think of any fantasy rpg being more in line with all those classic tales and fantasy...
langeweile
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Zulgyan » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:59 pm

hmmmm... maybe not traditional fantasy, but D&D. I'm talking about something like the old D&D Basic Sets.

Clerics and Magic-Users (certainly NOT sorcerers), but with the subtle aproach to "magic" True20 has.

Elves, Dwarves
Orc n Goblins
Dragons and undead

A good balance bewteen D&D fantasy and tolkienesque taste.

I hope I'm clear enought
Zulgyan
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Strand0 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:41 am

Zulgyan wrote:hmmmm...

*snipe*

A good balance bewteen D&D fantasy and tolkienesque taste.

I hope I'm clear enought
Hum...
Seems like you don't need a special background for that. :yar:

Unless you idea of D&D is more complicated than a dungeon full of monsters. You just need a bestiary/beastiary of monsters and dungeon maps.

If it is More complicated then I'd bet one of the supplied backgrounds will be close enough for you to play in your style of D&D. They aren't all going to be weird. (maybe :green: )
It is said that 'he who makes the best egg-salad shall rule over heaven and Earth'. ... Don't ask me why egg-salad, I have enough agravation.
Strand0
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Zulgyan » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:21 am

:roll: I hope what you say is true!

I just don't want to see the fantasy backround covered by something "Eberron-like". I hope GR does not fall in that line of taste.
Zulgyan
Bystander
Bystander

Postby reverend keith » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:11 am

Not to be a party pooper, but I'm probably one of the few who really doesn't care that much about the background details in the upcoming True 20 settings.

The only thing I want out of the settings in these books are a sufficent variety of styles that could not only spark my imagination for the genre it's set in, but are useful resources when I create my own campaign worlds. History shows me that I rarely ever use a setting straight out of the box, but I highly value them as fleshed out "examples" of what the game system can do. For example, a Star Wars-esque setting and rules would help me run my own space opera True 20 game, a X-Men-style setting and rules would do the same for any True 20 superhero game I ran. Heck, I have significantly altered the setting of Blue Rose so that my ongoing BR campaign resembles a fantasy version of Dune far more than a Mercedes Lackey novel.

Ultimately, I'm going to do my own thing with True 20, so I want settings to function like examples and a place to showcase how one can customize the rules to best facilite whatever style of True 20 gaming you are interested in. If there happens to be settings that I am willing to base an entire campaign around, that's just the icing on the cake. What has me jazzed is that I really think that Green Ronin is going to deliver exactly what I want. Yay me! :)
Last edited by reverend keith on Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keithalanjohnson AT gmail.com
GMing:
Sandstorm (weekly GURPS Dark Sun)
Savage Frontier (weekly GURPS Dungeon Fantasy)
The Promise of Fear (biweekly Changeling: the Lost)
reverend keith
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Zulgyan » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:24 am

reverend keith wrote:Not to be a party pooper, but I'm probably one of the few who really doesn't care that much about the background details in the upcoming True 20 settings.

The only thing I want out of the settings in these books are a sufficent variety of styles that could not only spark my imagination for the genre it's set in, but are useful resources when I create my own campaign worlds. History shows me that I rarely ever use a setting straight out of the box, but I highly value them as fleshed out "examples" of what the game system can do. For example, a Star Wars-esque setting and rules would help me run my own space opera True 20 game, a X-Men-style setting and rules would do the same for any True 20 superhero game I ran. Heck, I have significantly altered the setting of Blue Rose so that my ongoing Br campaign resembles a fantasy version of Dune far more than a Mercedes Lackey novel.

Ultimately, I'm going to do my own thing with True 20, so I want settings to function like examples and a place to showcase how one can customize the rules to best facilite whatever style of True 20 gaming you are interested in. If there happens to be settings that I am willing to base an entire campaign around, that's just the icing on the cake. What has me jazzed is that I really think that Green Ronin is going to deliver exactly what I want. Yay me! :)

Seems you got awful lots of free time! I wished I was so lucky.
I'm quite time-pressed. So the better the setting, the less I have to work to play in a setting of muy taste.
Zulgyan
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Zulgyan » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:27 pm

My definition of "traditional" includes Larry Elmore's Art! Hail Larry!
Zulgyan
Bystander
Bystander

Postby reverend keith » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:02 pm

Zulgyan wrote:Seems you got awful lots of free time! I wished I was so lucky.
I'm quite time-pressed. So the better the setting, the less I have to work to play in a setting of muy taste.

Not at all! I just have no life beyond roleplaying games! ;)
keithalanjohnson AT gmail.com
GMing:
Sandstorm (weekly GURPS Dark Sun)
Savage Frontier (weekly GURPS Dungeon Fantasy)
The Promise of Fear (biweekly Changeling: the Lost)
reverend keith
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby gamerguy » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:35 pm

It seems Mr. Kenson has given us a hint about one of the settings, so let's try this again:

I hope one of the settings is a traditional space opera, but I doubt that will happen... :wink:
gamerguy
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Strand0 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:39 pm

reverend keith wrote:Not to be a party pooper, but I'm probably one of the few who really doesn't care that much about the background details in the upcoming True 20 settings.
I'm already with you on that. Made my own Campaign Stuff already, but I just couldn't bring myself to use D&D ANY Edition. Just to much weight.
But True20 with NO bells and whistles seems to be just what is needed. :green:
The only thing I want out of the settings in these books are a sufficent variety of styles that could not only spark my imagination for the genre it's set in, but are useful resources when I create my own campaign worlds. History shows me that I rarely ever use a setting straight out of the box, but I highly value them as fleshed out "examples" of what the game system can do. For example, a Star Wars-esque setting and rules would help me run my own space opera True 20 game, a X-Men-style setting and rules would do the same for any True 20 superhero game I ran. Heck, I have significantly altered the setting of Blue Rose so that my ongoing BR campaign resembles a fantasy version of Dune far more than a Mercedes Lackey novel.
That's good too. But I hope that some will be cool and playable on their own. Would be nice for CONs and pick-up games.
Yup! Yay you! :wink:
Strand0
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby The Shadow » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:06 pm

So just when DOES this Dragon come out?? I'm getting impatient! :)
"All right, I am not the Shadow. You have nothing at all to worry about. Except, oh, wait, I'm pointing a gun at you."

--The Shadow
The Shadow
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Steve Kenson » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:31 pm

The Shadow wrote:So just when DOES this Dragon come out?? I'm getting impatient! :)

According to Paizo, this month's Dragon issue shipped to subscribers on the 3rd and will be on newsstands on the 25th.
Steve Kenson
Green Ronin Publishing
Steve Kenson
Ronin Steve
Ronin Steve

Next

Return to True20 Archives