Amber True20?

This forum has been locked to further posting but will be maintained here as an archive. Please visit http://true20.com for the True20 and Blue Rose forums.

Amber True20?

Postby The Shadow » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:03 pm

Narnia True20 got my juices flowing, and then I suddenly thought of Nisarg's Immortal Rome game.

In a blinding flash, I thought of Amber True20! True, it's hard to beat the diceless RPG, but True20 could work very well.

Basically, virtually everyone vaguely humanlike out of Shadow would be at most level 4, for legendary individuals. Your average Amberite or Chaosian would be, say, level 3. Your typical royal would be, oh, level 6-10. Benedict would be something like 12-15. Oberon or Dworkin... don't ask. :) PC's, if playing the typical "kid of a royal" game, would start at something like 4-6.

Give considerably more points for stats - something like 10, and raise the caps. Add in a few rules for accelerated healing. I'm not sure that one really needs backgrounds, but you could if you wanted.

The basic powers would be feat chains. Ye Basic Pattern would let you shadowwalk. (Easy enough to adjudicate on the fly, as I can say from experience with the DRPG.) Further feats would be things like, "Find Object", "Alter Reality", etc. etc. Some feats could be General (though requiring a certain bloodline), others could be Supernatural, to require dipping into Adept, which is very appropriate. (Making trumps is Supernatural, for example. But Caine's trick of Trump Spying needn't be.)

Keep the Adept role, trim the power list to taste. (Dominate doesn't seem very canon to me, for example. They'd have used it in the books if they could!) Trumps are plot devices with specifically defined abilities.

This is just a very rough first sketch, but what do people think? Is this worth pursuing? Got any ideas?
"All right, I am not the Shadow. You have nothing at all to worry about. Except, oh, wait, I'm pointing a gun at you."

--The Shadow
The Shadow
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Strand0 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:42 pm

Actually multi-dimensional where the PCs can go anywhere they like GIVES ME THE HIVES.
To many options and one PC saying I killed three people in this dimension so I'll step into the one next door... where that didn't happen.

Yuck! :evil:

But just keeping track of dozens of possible world and the infinte possibilities of player saying "I have Rex go to a SCI-FI universe with a pink sky and red ocean."
*shivers* :o

Not that I haven't run games on the fly but... this seems boggling to me.
(Totally free space travel has the same effect on me.)
It is said that 'he who makes the best egg-salad shall rule over heaven and Earth'. ... Don't ask me why egg-salad, I have enough agravation.
Strand0
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby The Shadow » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:04 pm

Shadow-walking does indeed make for a wide-open multiverse, and it does take some getting used to. But I can say from experience of running and playing the Amber Diceless RPG that it is quite possible.

One nice point is that it isn't at all easy to step into another shadow where three particular people aren't dead but everything else is the same. To shadow-walk, you have to change the actual environment around you one step at a time - adding and subtracting various elements. You can do it, but it takes a lot of time and effort, and possibly a fair degree of skill with the Pattern.

And of course you can't change things that really count - like the existence of other Amberites and Chaosians, or artifacts like the Jewel of Judgment.
"All right, I am not the Shadow. You have nothing at all to worry about. Except, oh, wait, I'm pointing a gun at you."

--The Shadow
The Shadow
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Return to True20 Archives