Alternate routes to True20 publishing?

This forum has been locked to further posting but will be maintained here as an archive. Please visit http://true20.com for the True20 and Blue Rose forums.

Alternate routes to True20 publishing?

Postby Tim Gray » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:39 am

This is absolutely not an attempt to rock the boat. I'm just trying to feel out possibilities (I'm also considering using my own system or alternate licensing of others). It's all hypothetical.

Those of us whose settings have not been accepted in the True20 setting search competition will not be published in the two books, and will not get a free licence to use the True20 logo on supplementary products. However, do we have other options to release the material we've developed for the system? For example, if I wanted to package up my setting as a pdf on RPGNow and just say it was for True20 in the description, would that be possible?

I suppose I'm after two things here. One is what's technically allowable under the OGL and whatever, which I admit I don't understand well (having never needed to work with it up to now). The second is how the folks at Green Ronin would regard this sort of activity. (I for one have no interest in bulldozing through on technicalities and pissing people off along the way.)
Tim Gray
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby damiller » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:19 am

As far as I understand True20 is Product Identity and cannot be used by you without permission, even to say that your product uses True20.

However, the mechanics are OGL, and require no permission to use. You just can't say you are using True20 mechanics. You have to all your ruleset something different.

Now would GR folks be happy if you did that, probably not. But it is not illegal and you could not be prosecuted for using the OGL.

that is how I understand it.
d :D
If you can't trust GOD, who in the Hell can you trust?

Myth: the thirst for the EXTRA-ordinary and the non-literal.
damiller
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby timemrick » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:44 am

The setting search winners get a royalty-free license to use the True20 brand name. If you're not one of them, it's still possible to get a royalty-based license, just more difficult due to GR's limited time to review new proposals and other reasons. From the True20 FAQ thread:
SassyRonin wrote:OK, then can other publishers license True20 directly from Green Ronin?

As we've said, we'd prefer that interested publishers get involved in the setting search. However, publishers that are serious enough to want to enter a formal, royalty-based licensing agreement can contact us if they want to enter negotiations.

Without the license, you can use the Open Game Content, but you can't legally indicate compatibility with True20.
timemrick

Postby LeaderDesslok » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:50 am

Perhaps when one of the GR folks (SassyRonin or NikChick) return from their Turkey Day adventures, they might have some information as to when the licensing policies will be announced? It's only November, but I'm quite certain the legalities are being discussed.
Michael Thompson
D20 Mechanics Editor
Silven Publishing
www.silven.com
LeaderDesslok
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Tim Gray » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:12 am

I think this is the same question as Desslok's... I'd be interested to find out what the separate licensing deal would be, just to see whether it's a ballpark I could play in (and compare it to the other ballparks).

I'm guessing that this option won't come on-stream till after the print book is out, and maybe won't even be announced until then. It'd be useful if someone from GR came on and said something along the lines of, "If you're serious about wanting a paid license, we expect to have details available and start working with people in March" (or whatever the actual answer is).
Tim Gray
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Nikchick » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:36 am

Tim Gray wrote:I think this is the same question as Desslok's... I'd be interested to find out what the separate licensing deal would be, just to see whether it's a ballpark I could play in (and compare it to the other ballparks).

I'm guessing that this option won't come on-stream till after the print book is out, and maybe won't even be announced until then. It'd be useful if someone from GR came on and said something along the lines of, "If you're serious about wanting a paid license, we expect to have details available and start working with people in March" (or whatever the actual answer is).

If you're serious about wanting a paid license, we expect to have details available and start working with people in March. :yar:
Nikchick
Mean Ronin
Mean Ronin

Postby Tim Gray » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:58 am

I have the power!
Tim Gray
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Warbringer » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:54 am

Depending on the cost, I'm interested.

In fact, Tim. Any interest in forming an LLC?
Warbringer
Dabbler
Dabbler

Return to True20 Archives