Shackled City. Anyone here own it?

This forum has been locked to further posting but will be maintained here as an archive. Please visit http://true20.com for the True20 and Blue Rose forums.

Shackled City. Anyone here own it?

Postby KyleC » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:43 pm

Any of you fine folks own the Shackled City adventure campaign from Paizo? I've been hearing lots of good things about it but my question is, how hard would it be to convert over to True20? Or more importantly, how much work would the conversion entail?

-KyleC
KyleC
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Eternalknight » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:07 pm

I don't own the hardcover, but I own the magazines it was in. Whilst I haven't done any conversions of Shakcled City, I am currently converting Age of Worms, the second adventure path from Dungeon. My players played through the first session the other day.

The first adventure's converrsion notes ran to 7 pages.
Eternalknight
Bystander
Bystander

Postby KyleC » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:33 pm

Eternalknight wrote:The first adventure's converrsion notes ran to 7 pages.

That could be a good sign or a bad sign, depending on how small your writing is. :)

What all did your conversion entail? Was it just the conversion to the True20 system or were you including setting information as well? Do you see yourself reusing what you've already converted or do you think you'll have roughly the same amount of conversion work for each adventure? Can I possibly ask any more questions? Would it get annoying? >:)

Seriously though, if each adventure requires 7 pages of conversion, and the Age of Worms series runs for as many adventures as Shackled City, that's over 80 pages of just conversion notes!

-KyleC
KyleC
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Eternalknight » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:58 pm

What all did your conversion entail?
I converted monsters, treasure (ie, wands and potions to True20 Powers), NPCs and trap stats.

Was it just the conversion to the True20 system or were you including setting information as well?
No setting information; pure rules.

Do you see yourself reusing what you've already converted or do you think you'll have roughly the same amount of conversion work for each adventure?
A lot of it can be re-used; for instance, if they happen to run across the same monsters, it's a copy/paste job.

Can I possibly ask any more questions?
Yes

Would it get annoying?
Quite possibly :)

The thing to remember it is pretty easy to do the conversions, as it's just a matter of re-jigging some numbers. Monsters are simple, really, and NPCs weren't all that hard either. It didn't take a long time to complete.
Eternalknight
Bystander
Bystander

Postby FickleGM » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:55 am

More importantly, can you share your conversion? (I'm a lazy GM... :) )
FickleGM
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby GoRocket » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:38 am

I think a lot more of these sort of conversions are on the horizon. True20 makes life so much easier for the DM.
GoRocket
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Tim Gray » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:34 am

GoRocket wrote:I think a lot more of these sort of conversions are on the horizon. True20 makes life so much easier for the DM.

Hmm. A fan material website as exists for Savage Worlds? How would Green Ronin feel about this?
Tim Gray
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby KyleC » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:20 pm

Eternalknight wrote:The thing to remember it is pretty easy to do the conversions, as it's just a matter of re-jigging some numbers. Monsters are simple, really, and NPCs weren't all that hard either. It didn't take a long time to complete.

I've also found conversion very easy (it's one of True20's strengths). What I've had some trouble with, as I've mentioned in another thread somewhere, is balancing the challenge level with the party (using converted d20 adventures). For example, if I use the minion rules, the encounters have been overly easy; if I disregard the minion rules, the heroes burn through resources too quickly. I've had difficulty finding the sweet spot. Have you noticed anything like this with your adventure?

Of course, it's most likely just me and my extremely average Narrating skills.
-KyleC
KyleC
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Eternalknight » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:59 pm

FickleGM wrote:More importantly, can you share your conversion? (I'm a lazy GM... :) )

Bare in mind it ain't done with pretty layout or anythig :)

http://members.dodo.com.au/~eternalknightadsl/wct20.doc
Eternalknight
Bystander
Bystander

Postby FickleGM » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:51 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you...

I am planning on running this adventure on Saturday and you just saved me a lot of work. I am running in a homebrew and not straight out of the book, so I still have a bit of "modifying" to do.

Once again, thank you, I appreciate it...
FickleGM
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Eternalknight » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:11 pm

Not a problem. Hopefully there aren't too many problems with it :)
Eternalknight
Bystander
Bystander

Return to True20 Archives