A new way for gaining powers

This forum has been locked to further posting but will be maintained here as an archive. Please visit http://true20.com for the True20 and Blue Rose forums.

Moderator: Super Moderators

A new way for gaining powers

Postby Warbringer » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:49 am

Acanum: The feat Arcanum is used differently than written in True20. Rather than granting access to a fixed number of powers, the feat generates power instructions points, or pips. To learn a power an adept spends pips to gain knowledge and ability in a power. When an adept has acquired threshold with a power she may use that power. The threshold is the number given in brackets for the power.

Example Powers: Arcane Insight (2), Beast Link(2), Bind (7), Bliss (3), Body Control (3), Calm (2), Cold Shaping (5)

The number of pips acquired by taking the arcanum feat, depends on the magic level of the environment. In a standard True20 high magic setting this is 5 pips per feat, while in a low magic modern setting this may be only 3 pips.

Certain powers are held to be the work of sorcery in many worlds. While these powers are not evil or corrupting in their own right, an adept can reduce the number of pips required to learn a power by 3 (minimum 1) by aligning themselves with a corrupt power to learn those powers. The pips saved in this way become the adepts corruption value. Thus, an adept who had learned five sorcerous powers from their master would have a corruption of 15.

When an adept gains an arcanum feat she does not have to spend the pips to bring the power to threshold. Indeed, she may spend as little as one pip in a power.

For example, the White Witch Alanu is a 1st level hero in an unopposed magic setting. With four feats at first level, she chooses all arcanum, gaining 20 pips. She spends these in the following way: Cure (3), Cure Disease (2), Cure Poison (1), Heart Reading (2), Heart Shaping (5), Earth Shaping (4), Visions (1), Wind Shaping (2).

As she only has four powers at threshold, she can only access those powers, but as she gains new levels, she may spend pips in those powers to bring them to threshold, or she may learn new powers.

Optional Rule: A narrator may allow access to powers not yet at threshold. The rank of these powers is reduced by the threshold difference, the difference between the threshold and the pips invested in the power. This also applies to any spell DC check. Further, the fatigue DC of the spell is increased by threshold difference. If the power does not normally cause a fatigue check, it now does with a base

DC of 10 + threshold difference.

In our example, Alanu attempts to use her power Visions to gain an accurate glimpse of the future: The check DC is now 17 (from 15), and the fatigue check is DC 12, as no check usually applies.
Warbringer
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Warbringer » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:51 am

no comments? suggestions?
Warbringer
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby FickleGM » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:41 am

No constructive comments yet, but this sounds interesting.

I do not, however, have Blue Rose or any Corruption mechanic currently in my game. I do see what you are trying to accomplish with that mechanic, as the adept can turn to the "dark side" in order to expediate his learning (and learn more powers).
FickleGM
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Warbringer » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:49 pm

Here's the real trick behind what I'm trying to...

Depending on the level of magic chosen for the campaign, some or all of these powers may be available to adepts.

Unopposed:
Description: This is essentially the typical high magic world of a classic dungeons and dragons world. All of the powers are available to an adept, including Wild Talent (granting any one power*), allowing access by non adepts to powers.
Arcanum: 5 pips per feat
DC check: The base DC is unchanged.
Cumulative Fatigue: None
*The Wild Talent feat generates the same amount of pips as Arcanum and unless the narrator is using the optional partial power rule, a power chosen must have a power cost be equal to or less than that number of pips.

Resisted
Description: Powers exist in the world, even commonly in some places. However, for some reason access to powers is restricted. This may be a magical reason such as poor alignment in the stars, the blocking, or draining, of magic by some great power, or by any other reason the narrator feels fits her campaign.
In the restricted magic world 5-10 powers are either lost, or barred. These are usually the more powerful powers such as Teleport, Plane Shift, Elemental Strike, Shadow Strike, Weather Shaping, Wizardry, and Imbue Life.
Arcanum: 4 pips per feat
DC Check: Magic is a little more strenuous to cast, with a DC increase to casting and fatigue of +2.
Cumulative Fatigue: 1 Hour

Blocked
Description: In the blocked world, the existence of magic is known, though rare enough to be feared or revered when seen. Powers
Arcanum: 3 pips per feat
DC Check: Magic is a little more strenuous to cast, with a DC increase to casting and fatigue of +5.
Cumulative Fatigue: 8 Hours

None
Description: The world is one in which magic essentially does not exist. However, magical relics, tomes retaining some powers/spells and rare magical beasts do still exist, though they are rare. In such a world, 5-10 powers do exist, though learning these powers often require a teacher, and require certain skills and/or feats.

Arcanum: 2 pip per feat
DC Check: Magic is a dangerous to use, with a DC increase to casting and fatigue of +10. In addition, feats that allow magic or powers require training and may take years of research to find a teacher. Commonly, magic is easier at certain times of the year, and in certain places. At these times and places, the DC may be reduced to +5, +2 or even +0.
Cumulative Fatigue: 24 Hours
Warbringer
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby langeweile » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:19 pm

with this... very interesting.

personally it tends - to me - to be a little complicating for simplie-nice true20, but it has a good point.
langeweile
Cohort
Cohort

Postby FickleGM » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:28 pm

I'm already musing ways to elegantize (yes elegant is now a verb) this for True20...

I don't know if I'll come up with anything, but I'm pondering...
FickleGM
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Warbringer » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:55 pm

FickleGM wrote:I'm already musing ways to elegantize (yes elegant is now a verb)

:)

This is the best I could come up with. The alternative played with was Arcanum dropping to only 1 power, then 1/2 power......

There must be a reelegantization stratety I've missed.
Warbringer
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby FickleGM » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:45 pm

Warbringer wrote:This is the best I could come up with. The alternative played with was Arcanum dropping to only 1 power, then 1/2 power......

There must be a reelegantization stratety I've missed.

There may not be a more reelegantizenated way, but its worth trying. Of course, I am so busy with other stuff that I'll probably back-burner this if something doesn't come to me soon...
FickleGM
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Warbringer » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:34 am

Hi again

I wanted to bump this post because of the discussion on are all powers equal...
Warbringer
Dabbler
Dabbler

Return to True20 Archives