D20 MAGIC TO TRUE20

This forum has been locked to further posting but will be maintained here as an archive. Please visit http://true20.com for the True20 and Blue Rose forums.

D20 MAGIC TO TRUE20

Postby PeelSeel2 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:11 pm

In my 3.5e campaign we started using the wealth score instead of Gold and the wound system instead of Hit points. It is an easy conversion on the fly for everything so far.

Now we are just going to convert the characters over totally to true20. The fighter and thief were easy to convert, but am at a loss with how to port the magic over.

I was thinking about making an Arcane Magic Feat for each class (expert bardic progression, adept wizard progression, warrior paladin progression), but then was unsure how do do 'level' advancement for spell use. What if they took the feat at a level higher than first?

Then I was thinking about making the progression through spell levels based on feats, 1 level of prgression per feat. So to cast third level spells, you would have to have the first level feat and then the second level feat.

I guess you can tell by my ramblings I am at a loss on how to proceed.
PeelSeel2
Bystander
Bystander

Postby skywalker » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:35 pm

Assuming you don't want to use the True 20 rules for magic which I highly recommend, you could try John Snead's guidelines on using D&D magic for sorcery in Blue Rose: http://www.livejournal.com/users/heron61/330109.html
[b]Playing:[/b] Lure of the Expanse (Rogue Trader)
[b]Running:[/b] Unbridled Blade (Atlantis: The Second Age)
[b]Planning:[/b] None
skywalker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby poltah » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:51 am

I converted the True20 system into D&D, you might be able to get some help from that.

Check it out here.
poltah
Bystander
Bystander

Wizardy

Postby Warbringer » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:34 am

Here is what I have come up with for my campaign.

The development of Wizardy, defined as the memorization and casting of spells, has two components: Scribing and Memorization.

Any adept can take the feat "Scribe" and place in a parchment the code for casting the power they can do naturally. The adept must make a fatigue check as normal for the power when scribing the scroll. When a scroll is written, the power level of the spell is fixed at the rank (no ability modifiers) of the adepting scribing the power. The adept must also succeed a wealth check equal to 10+rank of the spell.

Any adept may cast the power from the scroll, consuming the scroll. No fatigue check need be made.

Alternately, an adept with the feat "Memorize" may learn the spell placing it in his mind for casting at a later point in the day. The learning process does not consume the scroll, no must the adept make attempt when learning. However, when the adept "casts" the spell, the power is wiped from his mind and the adept must make a fatigue check as determined by the power cast. The DC of the spell cast is fixed by the rank of the scriber, but may be modified by the casters ability score.

An adept with the Wizardy fets may lear 3 spells in this way. The feat may be taken several times.

Note: Only an adept with who knows a power may scribe a spell. Having a spell learnt via the Wizardy feat does not count as "knowing" a power.
Warbringer
Dabbler
Dabbler

Return to True20 Archives