just to clear it up

This forum has been locked to further posting but will be maintained here as an archive. Please visit http://true20.com for the True20 and Blue Rose forums.

just to clear it up

Postby memoriam » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:32 pm

i'm reading the true20 rules at the moment and would like to clear a few thing up.

character have only one attack per combat round, is that right?

true20 does not use xp to work out if they gain a level. still trying to get my head round this idea. it's not that i don't like the idea but has anyone got a way to use xp in true20? i was thinking that every 20 xp the character gains a level. xp would only be handed out every so often, say a maximum of 5 per game and conviction pionts could also be spent to gain a level but you would have to spend two to gain a point of xp and your conviction point total would drop one point for every two points used in this way.

sorry if this makes no sence but it was late when i posted, i'll re-read later and see if i need to edit when i've had some sleep.

thanks.
memoriam.

"my dice don't work" Mike.
memoriam
Bystander
Bystander

Re: just to clear it up

Postby reverend keith » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:47 pm

memoriam wrote:character have only one attack per combat round, is that right?

Yes... Except in the case of attacking with two weapons.

As for the xp thing. It's pretty much boils down to whenever you (as the GM) wish to level up your PCs. For my Blue Rose game it's roughly every three sessions, but only after something significant was accomplished. (If the PCs spend three sessions sitting in a bar doing nothing, they get no level. If they go lead an "adventuring lifestyle", then they get the level cookie)

While I'm happy with the rules as written, feel free to create and use an xp system. Ultimately, use whatever floats your boat. :)
keithalanjohnson AT gmail.com
GMing:
Sandstorm (weekly GURPS Dark Sun)
Savage Frontier (weekly GURPS Dungeon Fantasy)
The Promise of Fear (biweekly Changeling: the Lost)
reverend keith
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby memoriam » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:40 am

all my gaming life, 11 years or so, i have always handed out xp. i'm new to true20, i'm sick of d20 and the rule set is so easy to use. i'll have to get used to not giving out xp. it's not what i'm used to but should be a hell of a lot easyer! :D
memoriam.

memoriam
Bystander
Bystander

Postby timemrick » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:35 pm

The Call of Cthulhu d20 game had two options for the GM to award level advancements:

1) Advance a level after every two adventures (typically 2-4 four-hour sessions per adventure). [This is essentially the same as True20.]

OR

2) Use the standard d20 table for XP needed for each level. For each adventure, the GM should decide on at least four challenging tasks, which can range from surviving a monster's attack [not necessarily defeating it], to acquiring a critical clue, to persuading an NPC to do what the PCs want, to destroying a dangerous artifact. Completing each task earns a base of 300 XP times the average character level, which is then divided evenly between the characters. Under this method, each level requires an average of about 13 tasks--the same rate as with D&D's CR system.
timemrick

Postby skywalker » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:20 am

memoriam wrote:character have only one attack per combat round, is that right?

Yes except for Two Weapon Fighting and the use of Conviction. You can spend a Conviction to get an extra attack action. As such, higher level PCs can have more attacks in a round.
[b]Playing:[/b] Lure of the Expanse (Rogue Trader)
[b]Running:[/b] Unbridled Blade (Atlantis: The Second Age)
[b]Planning:[/b] None
skywalker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby JBowtie » Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:44 pm

For a while I followed the Babylon 5 suggestion of awarding 750XP per session. After a while I stopped doing the math and just level them up every three to four sessions, prefereably after a major accomplishment.
Johnny Bowtie
JBowtie
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Tim Gray » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:35 am

memoriam wrote:true20 does not use xp to work out if they gain a level. still trying to get my head round this idea. it's not that i don't like the idea but has anyone got a way to use xp in true20? i was thinking that every 20 xp the character gains a level. xp would only be handed out every so often, say a maximum of 5 per game and conviction pionts could also be spent to gain a level but you would have to spend two to gain a point of xp and your conviction point total would drop one point for every two points used in this way.

What you're groping towards there is transplanting the XP system from Savage Worlds. :D
Tim Gray
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby memoriam » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:34 am

Tim Gray wrote:
memoriam wrote:true20 does not use xp to work out if they gain a level. still trying to get my head round this idea. it's not that i don't like the idea but has anyone got a way to use xp in true20? i was thinking that every 20 xp the character gains a level. xp would only be handed out every so often, say a maximum of 5 per game and conviction pionts could also be spent to gain a level but you would have to spend two to gain a point of xp and your conviction point total would drop one point for every two points used in this way.

What you're groping towards there is transplanting the XP system from Savage Worlds. :D

but would it work...
memoriam.

memoriam
Bystander
Bystander

Return to True20 Archives