A variant save

This forum has been locked to further posting but will be maintained here as an archive. Please visit http://true20.com for the True20 and Blue Rose forums.

A variant save

Postby SuentisPo » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:27 am

While reading the Expert topics, I noticed that a lot of comments were made on saves, so I looked the rules up.

According to the rules, a Warrior 2/Adept 8 has a base reflex save of 0! (Start as warrior - you don't get +1 until 3rd, switch to adept. you don't add anything until you hit +3 on a save, which is 9th level for poor saves).

OK- I can see and agree with an Adept 1/Expert 1 have +2 in all saves being bad (having seen some sick saves in D&D because of that). But 0 at 10th level seems a little harsh.

Here is my solution, comments would be greatly appreciated:

Don't change poor saves (+1/3 full levels);
Good saves are now +1/2 full levels, starting at 0 (same progression, just starting lower- 0 to 10) AND
At 1st level, give a +2 bonus to the character's good save(s).

Net effect, a single role character won't see any change. A character with only 1 or 2 levels in a side role (Warrior X/Adept 1, for example) will also be the same, but after that, your poor save(s) will be better.

Another idea I had (that I discarded as too complicated and a bit too powerful) was keeping the fractional save bonuses and adding them together to determine total base saves.

Comments?
"Ahhhh. The cries of anguish from my players almost warm the cold black cinder I have in place of a heart."- Me
SuentisPo
Bystander
Bystander

Postby bushido11 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:21 am

Your example of the 2nd level warrior/8th level adept brought about a good point. I think that instead of having that mess of penalizing all saves by -2 per multi-role, simply say that all of the saves stack *as long as they don't exceed half of the character's total level + 2 (the progression of good saves)*.

I'd also like to see moderate saves (the in-between saves that SWRPG incorporates) implemented as an option and allowing both the warrior and the adept to choose one good save rather than being force-fed their good save.
"Est Sularus oth Mithas." My honor is my life.
bushido11
Henchman
Henchman

Return to True20 Archives