a question

This forum has been locked to further posting but will be maintained here as an archive. Please visit http://true20.com for the True20 and Blue Rose forums.

a question

Postby memoriam » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:02 pm

as far as i can tell most of the True20 rules are open game content but you can not use the rules with any published setting like you can with D20. is this true or have i got it all wrong. i'm a big fan of true20. it is far easyer to use than D20 and would like to publish a setting to use with true20.
memoriam.

"my dice don't work" Mike.
memoriam
Bystander
Bystander

Re: a question

Postby skywalker » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:39 pm

memoriam wrote:as far as i can tell most of the True20 rules are open game content but you can not use the rules with any published setting like you can with D20. is this true or have i got it all wrong. i'm a big fan of true20. it is far easyer to use than D20 and would like to publish a setting to use with true20.

True 20 is OGL. However, the True 20 logo is the property of Green Ronin. This isn't legal advice but my understading is that you can use the rules in True 20, though you couldn't call it that.
[b]Playing:[/b] Lure of the Expanse (Rogue Trader)
[b]Running:[/b] Unbridled Blade (Atlantis: The Second Age)
[b]Planning:[/b] None
skywalker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: a question

Postby timemrick » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:01 am

True20 is Open Game Content, which means that you can use parts of it in your own d20 products if you obey the requirements of the Open Game License. However, the OGL is more restrictive than standard trademark law in that you can't indicate compatibility with a trademarked product unless you obtain a license from that trademark's holder. This is the difference between the OGL (free use) and the d20 License (which requires fees for indicating compatibility with d20 but allows you to use the d20 logo).

True20's title and logo are trademarked, so you would need to obtain a True20 license from Green Ronin in order to indicate compatibility with it or use the logo. GR will be giving a royalty-free license to each winner of the True20 setting search for further support for their settings, but all other
publishers would need to obtain the license and pay royalties. (And, as written in the search rules, even the winners would need to pay royalties for any True20 material not tied to the selected settings.)

For reference, WotC's website has the text of the OGL, and a FAQ explaining certain parts of it.
timemrick

Return to True20 Archives