Background Favored Feats

This forum has been locked to further posting but will be maintained here as an archive. Please visit http://true20.com for the True20 and Blue Rose forums.

Background Favored Feats

Postby The Shadow » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:15 pm

A background includes a list of favored feats that may be longer than two, which is all a character is allowed.

Do you pick your favored feats at 1st level, or is this left to your discretion as you level up?
"All right, I am not the Shadow. You have nothing at all to worry about. Except, oh, wait, I'm pointing a gun at you."

--The Shadow
The Shadow
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Re: Background Favored Feats

Postby Jonathan Moyer » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:13 pm

The Shadow wrote:Do you pick your favored feats at 1st level, or is this left to your discretion as you level up?

My read on it is that it's left to your discretion.

True20 page 13 wrote:The character is not required to take either of the background’s favored feats, they’re simply strongly associated with the background and common to it, therefore always available as an option.

Jon
Jonathan Moyer
Cohort
Cohort

Postby timemrick » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:50 am

It's unclear whether a character must choose which feats on the list are favored at 1st level, even if he doesn't take anything from the list at that time.

If the Narrator wishes to distinguish human cultures by what favored feats each has (as is suggested under that background's entry), then humans at least should choose their favored feats at character creation.
timemrick

Postby The Shadow » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:12 pm

timemrick wrote:If the Narrator wishes to distinguish human cultures by what favored feats each has (as is suggested under that background's entry), then humans at least should choose their favored feats at character creation.

Perhaps not. They should choose their human culture, of course, which will have its own list of favored feats, but the player might not need to pick which two on the list until he chooses to take one of them. Even odder, until he chooses to take one of them *outside of its usual role*.
"All right, I am not the Shadow. You have nothing at all to worry about. Except, oh, wait, I'm pointing a gun at you."

--The Shadow
The Shadow
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Jonathan Moyer » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:13 pm

The way I see it, when a character goes up in level, he can choose his Feat from the following two sources:

1) His role's favored feat list
2) or his Background's favored feat list.

So let's say you're playing a Dwarf who is picking up a level in Adept. This means you could choose:

1) any Adept feat you meet the prereqs for, or
2) Diehard or Favored Enemy

The dwarf could be going from Adept 11 to Adept 12 - no matter what his level or what his role is, he could take a role feat, Diehard, or Favored Enemy.

Now, having said all this, I don't think this answers the Shadow's original question :) . Given that Dwarf, Elf, and Gnome all have their Background Favored Feats listed at character creation, I'd say you have to do this for culture background Feats as well, even if you have a list of culture favored feats. However, I don't think it breaks the game if you let the player choose what these feats are later on in play, so I'd be pretty lenient about it.

Jon
Jonathan Moyer
Cohort
Cohort

Return to True20 Archives