What do you use True20 for?

This forum has been locked to further posting but will be maintained here as an archive. Please visit http://true20.com for the True20 and Blue Rose forums.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Postby Kommando » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:35 pm

I do like the idea of using True20 for Star Wars, considering I run a Star Wars campaign (currently set between movies). One idea I am mulling over was running a victorian era game. My inspirations being GURPs Horror, and Masque of the Red Death. However, I was thinking of adding the "romantic" aspect to the game (ala Blue Rose) and perhaps giving the game a Moulin Rouge feel. Romantic Tragedy.
Kommando
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Bhikku » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:53 pm

I've got a small collection - every couple of weeks I seem to cycle on to the next one.

Danse Macabre: Ecstasy and Hunger
This is a modern-day vampire game, converting a lot of material from Green Ronin's own Fang & Fury to True 20, though with plenty of my own personal touches. This is intended to be a big-bad-action game with some horror overtones - think more like the Blade movies than Interview with the Vampire.

The Dark Between
This is a human-centric scifi game set in a galaxy still recovering from the decay and gradual disintigration of the galactic Union. Psionics, bio-engineered demi-people, pseudo-mystical secret societies, criminals and slaves condemned to eternity in a cyborganic body, fanatics seeking evidence of the sapient alien race that roamed the galaxy and vanished before humanity left the long-lost Earth, and so forth.

Ebon Rose
Actually my first idea for a Blue Rose variant, this game would combine romantic fantasy with the Romantic and New Romantic movements - meaning that the dark side of life would be cherished for its own dark beauty. Intended for earthly misfits to fall into a world where their semi-gothic sensibilities are reflected by all society, eventually to become champions of the Ebon Rose and struggle against depravities and evils that would swallow all the land.

Night Watch
A pulpy, halloweeny game - one part Hellboy, one part Nocturnals, and a few parts those-weird-campaigns-my-old-Heroes-Unlimited-games-used-to-devolve-into. Could get switched to M&M 2nd ed, when it's released (and when I can also afford Nocturnals: Midnight Companion), for now it's aimed at True 20. Feel the joy.

Adventures in the Fallen World
A not-so-gothic game, at last! This is an anything goes kind of world: our own wacky future, when the world has suffered through some kind of disaster that even legend has failed to recall. Aliens, mutants, cyborgs, arcane magicians, gargoyle shamans, ninjas, wuxia, sasquatch psychics, barbarian good ol' boys, the second coming of Quetzalcoatl's evil twin, corporate-minded hive-spiders ruling L.A., the Lost City of Vegas, dinosaur-riding cowboys.... yeah. When I say "anything goes," i mean it. It might be the stupidest campaign setting ever... stupid like a fox!
No kitten is going to tell me what to do. I'll fall off this branch to my death if I feel like it!
Bhikku
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Tim Gray » Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:06 pm

Bhikku wrote:Adventures in the Fallen World
A not-so-gothic game, at last! This is an anything goes kind of world: our own wacky future, when the world has suffered through some kind of disaster that even legend has failed to recall. Aliens, mutants, cyborgs, arcane magicians, gargoyle shamans, ninjas, wuxia, sasquatch psychics, barbarian good ol' boys, the second coming of Quetzalcoatl's evil twin, corporate-minded hive-spiders ruling L.A., the Lost City of Vegas, dinosaur-riding cowboys.... yeah. When I say "anything goes," i mean it. It might be the stupidest campaign setting ever... stupid like a fox!

Well, Palladium seems to have made a bit of money out of it...
Tim Gray
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Nomad4life » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:34 pm

Like a few others here, I’m primarily interested in using True 20 to emulate the feel of Star Wars. D20 SW wasn’t “bad” but it always struck me as a little too “computer-gamey.” I want a good, rules-light SWRPG that runs and feels more like the films.
Nomad4life
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Bhikku » Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:52 pm

Tim Gray wrote:
Bhikku wrote:yeah. When I say "anything goes," i mean it. It might be the stupidest campaign setting ever... stupid like a fox!

Well, Palladium seems to have made a bit of money out of it...

You know, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Rifts, it's true. But I don't think Rifts could survive the kind of stupidity I'll be inflicting on this world. I mean, think more in the direction of the old Cadillacs & Dinosaurs cartoon or the 'octaNe' rpg. Buckaroo Bonzai. That sort of thing.
No kitten is going to tell me what to do. I'll fall off this branch to my death if I feel like it!
Bhikku
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby GoRocket » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:01 am

Nomad4life wrote:Like a few others here, I’m primarily interested in using True 20 to emulate the feel of Star Wars. D20 SW wasn’t “bad” but it always struck me as a little too “computer-gamey.” I want a good, rules-light SWRPG that runs and feels more like the films.

Like many things, Star Wars would be better in True20 than the standard D20 rules set. I'd like to see someone's treatment of a True20 version of Star Wars.

I'm toying with the idea of True20 James Bond. Would anyone be interested in a quick rundown of this idea?
GoRocket
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Matterhorn » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:32 am

Hiya All.
I think True20 would do the whole gamut of Espionage very well, from James Bond thru to War on Terror type stuff. I was the proud owner of the original Mayfair James Bond 007 RPG (+ the Q Manual) and it was an excellent game. The GM section had the best advice for running clandestine games that I have read.
Although I have never read it, I imagine that the Spycraft RPG would soften the adaption of this genre to True20 quite a bit.
I have a soft spot for ultra-realistic modern Role-Playing and with this in mind, I think that a True20 adaption of Twilight 2000 would be a lot of fun. It is a very grim setting and for my tastes would come off wrong if Hit Points and other relics of the D20 mechanic were involved.

Matterhorn.
Matterhorn is a collective of 500 echidnas with laptops sealed in a bunker beneath the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
Matterhorn
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Warzen » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:20 am

Nomad4life wrote:Like a few others here, I’m primarily interested in using True 20 to emulate the feel of Star Wars. D20 SW wasn’t “bad” but it always struck me as a little too “computer-gamey.” I want a good, rules-light SWRPG that runs and feels more like the films.

Then you should use Starwars d6.
It's best system to run Starwars I've seen so far.

W.
Warzen
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Nomad4life » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:11 pm

Warzen wrote:Then you should use Starwars d6.
It's best system to run Starwars I've seen so far.

W.

D6 SW was a fantastic system. However, it had its shortcomings as well.

If Tr20 would ever codify a set of "modern/future" play rules, I think it would be just the system I'm looking for.
Nomad4life
Bystander
Bystander

Previous

Return to True20 Archives