What do you use True20 for?

This forum has been locked to further posting but will be maintained here as an archive. Please visit http://true20.com for the True20 and Blue Rose forums.

What do you use True20 for?

Postby Grim Luck » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:57 pm

What are you using or (planning to use) True20 for?

My group is planning on using it for a mostly human sci-fi game with some psi elements.

I'm playing a flashy style-addicted impulsive ex-race pilot with a flamboyangly garrish purple one-man race ship. He's a pilot for hire, looking for adventure, and dangerous women.

We're starting off at 6th level.
"All the world is fascinated by monkeys."
Grim Luck
Henchman
Henchman

Postby skywalker » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:06 pm

I am using True 20 solely for fantasy which I feel it fits best, and particular to use a ruleset for a number of d20 campaigns that I like.

I have done a conversion for Iron Kingdoms and will be starting a campaign in a few weeks for 5th level PCs.

I am hoping to start on a conversion for Eberron soon. I am also hoping to do a semi-official conversion for Mechanical Dream.
skywalker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby mrfusion » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:10 pm

I'll be converting Usagi Yojimbo for my family. All female players, ages 40, 11, and 8. I'll post my conversion notes, and maybe even some story hours... 8)
...aka 'Fearless Leader'
mrfusion
Groupie
Groupie

Postby langeweile » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:47 pm

@mrfusion:
family rpg, thats coool :-)

@topic:
blue rose, thats as it stands. (our cyberpunk group will stay sr3 by tradition, which is cool in itself and houseruled up enough to be out of major bugs.)
langeweile
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Akrasia » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:56 pm

Grim Luck wrote: ...We're starting off at 6th level.

skywalker wrote: ... will be starting a campaign in a few weeks for 5th level PCs...

Sheeesh ... doesn't anyone start good old 1st level these days? :wink: Call me old fashioned, but I like starting at the very beginning!

Anyway, if I manage to find a decent group after my imminent move, I would like to run a Middle-earth campaign using True 20. I have a couple of interesting ideas for campaigns, set at different points in the history of Middle-earth. It would be hard settling on one ...
8)
Akrasia
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Grim Luck » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:05 am

Regarding starting at 6th level.

(shrug)

I used to really agree with you.

Our favorite non D20 related game, however, was Adventure! from WW. In that game, starting characters are very competent to begin with - which is much more cinematic. You develop steadily, but even a character with a lot of experience isn't that different from a starting character in many ways. Likewise, though we start at 6th level, we don't really develop much. Our games aren't about levelling. We'd likely max out at 8th or 9th level.

So for us, starting at 6th level just lets us begin with charactes the way we want them to be.
Grim Luck
Henchman
Henchman

Postby JBowtie » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:43 pm

I'm converting my homebrew into a True20 setting; currently we are playtesting the changes a bit at a time (magic a couple of weeks ago, which I posted here about; combat converted over last session, which I am writing up; and classes converted this week). I'm not sure if I'm going to enter the setting search or not - I'm uncomfortable with their stance on the trademark but encouraged by their OGL policy.

I'm also adapting the Babylon 5 rules to run off True20; I think it actually cleans things up a lot with regard to telepathy and equipment rules.

Completely off topic, but adding the patient's CON to Heal checks is a brilliant little rule from B5 that everyone should consider.
Johnny Bowtie
JBowtie
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby skywalker » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:02 pm

Akrasia wrote:Sheeesh ... doesn't anyone start good old 1st level these days? :wink: Call me old fashioned, but I like starting at the very beginning!

In True 20, levels don't have the same meaning as they do in D&D where they control how robust a PC is and what challenges they can face. In True 20, they really just determine how many options the PCs have.

As such, I am more tempted to start with higher level PCs in True 20. The PCs are still hurt by sword blows but they have more options with which to be formed. Add in no experience calculations and I tend to start them higher and advance them slower.
skywalker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby critter80 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:16 pm

I'm running a campaign set in Venice, 1896. Despite the fact that I'm running it out of the Blue Rose book, not the pdf, I found the rules to be easily adaptable to a modern-ish setting, with a little help from D20 Modern and Past. I find the combat system to be grittier and therefore a little more realistic for earth-based campaigns than normal d20.
critter80
Bystander
Bystander

Re: What do you use True20 for?

Postby GoRocket » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:57 am

Grim Luck wrote:What are you using or (planning to use) True20 for?

My group is planning on using it for a mostly human sci-fi game with some psi elements.

I'm playing a flashy style-addicted impulsive ex-race pilot with a flamboyangly garrish purple one-man race ship. He's a pilot for hire, looking for adventure, and dangerous women.

We're starting off at 6th level.

Grim Luck, you may have something very cool to use for this game very soon!
GoRocket
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby timemrick » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:01 pm

Grim Luck wrote:What are you using or (planning to use) True20 for?

I'm planning to run at least one or two one-shot adventures set in GR's Freeport setting using Blue Rose/True20 (I haven't decided which yet, but will probably borrow ideas from the other).

Beyond that, no idea yet. The recent arrival of our new baby has me on a bit of a gaming hiatus. When I can manage to get in some gaming again, most of it will non-d20 for a while, just because I've pretty much only done D&D for the past year or two. And while True20 seems to solve many of the issues I've had with D&D, I still need more variety in my gaming diet than just one system.
timemrick

Postby Grim Luck » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:09 pm

GoRocket wrote:

oh-kay (???)

I suppose I shall simply await enlightenment.

I look forward to it.
Grim Luck
Henchman
Henchman

Postby GoRocket » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:40 am

Grim Luck wrote:GoRocket wrote:

oh-kay (???)

I suppose I shall simply await enlightenment.

I look forward to it.

Well, I can't say a whole lot about it, but there is something in development (and I know because I'm a co-developer) for a True20 setting in line with what you are doing. This setting will be submitted for the True20 book, so hopefully, you will see tidbits of it when that is released in December. If we are selected to be in the book, we will of course provide support material, some of which will likely be released to coincide with the True20 book.
GoRocket
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Grim Luck » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:36 am

I'm sorry, I actually guessed that that was the case, but I was attempting to be funny.

Seriously, I look forward to it.
Grim Luck
Henchman
Henchman

Postby The Shadow » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:57 pm

I don't suppose it will shock anyone to learn that SuentisPo and I plan to use True20 for Star Wars. :) It has a perfect feel for it, and we really, really dig M&M's Toughness save.
"All right, I am not the Shadow. You have nothing at all to worry about. Except, oh, wait, I'm pointing a gun at you."

--The Shadow
The Shadow
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Grim Luck » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:09 pm

Shadow - Yep, we had an inkling.

I agree that it would be a good system to do it in.

You know, though, with the threads you've started I would like to make the small suggestion that you consider breaking with all previous SWRPG systems and base things as much as you can on the movies for inspiration.

You might find its a better experience.
Grim Luck
Henchman
Henchman

Postby The Shadow » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:22 pm

OK, but there are limits. We're playing an Old Republic game. :) And one of the characters was trained in the Force by Ithorians. :)
"All right, I am not the Shadow. You have nothing at all to worry about. Except, oh, wait, I'm pointing a gun at you."

--The Shadow
The Shadow
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby GoRocket » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:31 am

Grim Luck wrote:Shadow - Yep, we had an inkling.

I agree that it would be a good system to do it in.

You know, though, with the threads you've started I would like to make the small suggestion that you consider breaking with all previous SWRPG systems and base things as much as you can on the movies for inspiration.

You might find its a better experience.

This is an excellent suggestion. I would do the very same were I to run a True20 Star Wars game. The d20 SWRPG is not very Star Wars to me, and while WEB/D6 was better at capturing the feel, if I were you, I would start from the ground up rules-wise, and use the old RPG books as source material for people, places, and things.
GoRocket
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby MadBlue » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:56 pm

I'm planning on using it for a Transhuman Space game (actually, I'm working on a sort of hybrid True20/d20 system).

Edit: Actually, after looking at the designer notes for M&M 2e, I think I found the "hybrid" system I've been trying to come up with. :)
Last edited by MadBlue on Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadBlue
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Dork Elf » Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:40 am

I plan to use it for a big pure fantasy setting I have needed an excuse to create for a while, and hopefully to run a WoT campaign. I think this system will be perfect for the WoT with minimal changes, especially for Channeling.
Dork Elf
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Ludanto » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:17 am

I'm working to convert a homebrew game. It's sci-fi with psionics and magic. Unfortunately the DM has all of the notes so it's slow going. :)
Ludanto
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Warbringer » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:15 pm

Believe it or not, Forgotten Realms... and yes I doing feat conversions...

If you read a lot of FR novels then True20 fits the flavor really well, especially combat.
Warbringer
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby timemrick » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:52 am

timemrick wrote:I'm planning to run at least one or two one-shot adventures set in GR's Freeport setting using Blue Rose/True20 (I haven't decided which yet, but will probably borrow ideas from the other).

I've started a true20freeportLiveJournal community to discuss my ideas. I'm currently leaning towards the first one-shot being in Blue Rose, in what could be either Freeport or any other port in Aldea. Then probably some more specifically Freeport stuff using True20.
timemrick

Postby timemrick » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:19 pm

I've considered re-running "Holiday in the Sun" (Focus on Freeport #5) for a new group of players as a one-shot (perhaps at a con?). Now that I have the revised version in hand, and am thinking over using True20 for some Freeport one-shots, I've decided to try converting "Holiday" to True20.

One step towards that is converting the "iconic" Freeport heroes (the pregens appearing in the Trilogy). I've now done this for the 1st-level versions. I still have to advance them to 3rd level for "Holiday"; that's easy except for figuring out how their gear and Wealth should change (since True20 gives no guidelines for typical Wealth scores for characters above 1st level).
timemrick

Next

Return to True20 Archives