True 20 pdf errata

This forum has been locked to further posting but will be maintained here as an archive. Please visit http://true20.com for the True20 and Blue Rose forums.

Postby Seeker of Truth » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:26 pm

While I don't have a copy of the pdf, I don't see what the big deal is with a lack of backgrounds. These are VERY setting dependent, and the True20 rules are generic. I can see the print version, with a collection of settings, having some backgrounds. Anyways, making your own backgrounds should not be difficult. Just make sure that they're overall balanced to one another, with similar numbers of feats and skills in each background, though versatility should count for something.
People are Stupid
- Wizard's First Rule

I'm a gambler, a farmer, and I'm taking over your bloody army!
- Mat Cauthon

Ryle hira
- Lirin saying

And yes, I do know how much of a corrupted fantasy geek I am. Thank you ;)
Seeker of Truth
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Michael Tree » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:41 pm

In the powers section on p.36, it says that Adepts always use dex rather than strength for touch attack rolls, which is misleading for this version of True20, because everyone uses dex for attack rolls.

The d20 conversion appendix converts damage the same as in Blue Rose, despite the rather large differences in Toughness values. Using these guidelines, most D&D obstacles would instantly injure or kill even the toughest True20 character.

The adept role paragraph on abilities is based on the BR system, where different powers required different key abilities, rather than the True20 rule that each adept chooses a single key ability for all their powers.

Seeker of Truth wrote:While I don't have a copy of the pdf, I don't see what the big deal is with a lack of backgrounds. These are VERY setting dependent, and the True20 rules are generic.

Yes they are setting specific, so True20 couldn't give a list of usable backgrounds, but it could have mentioned that such a thing might exist. The big deal is that, in the True20 pdf rules, there is no such thing as a "background." Race and culture have no effect on character creation, and there's no suggestion that settings should create such distinctions. Even a paragraph describing the concept of backgrounds, and maybe giving an example or two of how to create them would have been fine.
Michael Tree
Cohort
Cohort

Postby ham2anv » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:02 am

p. 29, Defensive Roll

"You receive a bonus to your Toughness saving throws"

What's the bonus? Based on this article about M&M 2e, I'd assume the bonus is +1, but I just want to be sure.[/url]
ham2anv
Bystander
Bystander

Postby FungiMuncher » Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:24 am

Page 76: the paragraph about the exhausted condition states that characters suffer a -6 penalty, while page 75 states that exhausted characters suffer a -3 penalty.

Page 79: The end of the second paragraph refers to "romantic fantasy."
FungiMuncher
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Denaes » Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:43 am

I'm not sure if this is erratta or not...

On pg 71 on Rush it's stated that if the Rushee fails, they fly back 5ft per number they fail by.

We crosschecked with M&M and in there it was 1ft per number failed by.

We didn't think a Supers Game of high flying action and throwing each other into buildings would be overshadowed by a fantasy game that much.

Our player who was Rushed ended up flying 17 squares backward... We didn't think True20 was going for the Cartoon/Comic feel and it feels pretty well grounded in other aspects so thought that something in here might be a typo
In my day if you argued with the GM he would stab you in the frickin' eye. Trust me. :yar:
Denaes
Cohort
Cohort

Re: Skill Training

Postby timemrick » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:32 am

doluntchr wrote:Not sure the Skill Training feat is correct. In Blue Rose it gives you two more known skills, but in Blue Rose, Known Skills are only at (level +3)/2. Since known skills are Level+3 in generic True20, maybe it should only give you ONE new skill?

In Blue Rose, known skills are at level+3 ranks if a favored skill, half that if a normal skill. Skill Training gives either two new known skills (at their usual favored/normal ranks), or one new known skill converted from normal to favored. So the True20 text for this feat should stand as written.
timemrick

Postby timemrick » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:48 am

Denaes wrote:On a layout note, when I had my stuff printed at Staples, the top and bottom bar are cut off and I'm missing a little bit of the words in white on top (readable, but barely) and the bottom pixel of the page number on the bottom is missing.

This sounds like some settings on Acrobat Reader's print menu needed to be toggled, rather than a problem with the printer or PDF itself. Many printers won't print all the way out to the edge of the page, and the size of this "no printing zone" varies between models, so Acrobat Reader gives an option for Page Scaling. (Mine currently defaults to "reduce to page margins", which leaves ~1/4" white border on my printer.)
Denaes wrote:Then again Staples also gave us single sided copies rather than the double sided we asked for.

You definitely should have pointed out both problems, and insisted they print it again properly. A bit late for that now, probably.
Denaes wrote:Another layout problem is that on the first page of each chapter you don't have the page number. You should.

That's not an error, it's an aesthetic choice. It's a fairly common practice in book layout, in order to keep the chapter openings from looking cluttered. As long as adjacent pages are numbered, it should rarely be a problem.
timemrick

Postby Denaes » Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:04 pm

timemrick wrote: As long as adjacent pages are numbered, it should rarely be a problem.

Unless you happen to have it printed out one sided :green:
In my day if you argued with the GM he would stab you in the frickin' eye. Trust me. :yar:
Denaes
Cohort
Cohort

Postby timemrick » Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:01 pm

Denaes wrote:Unless you happen to have it printed out one sided :green:

Adjacent sheets, then. Silly Denaes... :roll:
timemrick

Postby Grim Luck » Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:12 pm

I'm not certain if anyone has mentioned this or not, but Elemental Strike is listed among the Supernatural Feats on page 28, but is absent from the list of feats.

(edit 7/7/05) Just reread the entire thread. This has already been covered. Sorry.
Last edited by Grim Luck on Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All the world is fascinated by monkeys."
Grim Luck
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Matterhorn » Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:38 am

Page number reference: p37.

A successful save results in no ill effect on the adept. A failed save means
the adept suffers a level of fatigue (see Fatigue, page 37). A few powers
cause more than one level of fatigue on a failed fatigue save.

This should read
...(see Fatigue, page 75)...

Matterhorn.
Matterhorn is a collective of 500 echidnas with laptops sealed in a bunker beneath the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
Matterhorn
Cohort
Cohort

Postby amethal » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:46 pm

The vampire entry on pages 87 to 88.

On page 88, the Create Spawn ability says

"A vampire may have enslaved spawn totalling no more than twice its own level" but as far as I can see there's no level given for vampires (they are a monster, not a template).

Also, all the monsters also seem to have spent skill points, rather than been given a list of skills known and a "level".

This isn't really an error, more a design decision, but I'd have prefered it if monsters used the same rules as characters.
amethal
Bystander
Bystander

Postby razorwise » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:25 pm

Denaes wrote:On a layout note, when I had my stuff printed at Staples, the top and bottom bar are cut off and I'm missing a little bit of the words in white on top (readable, but barely) and the bottom pixel of the page number on the bottom is missing.

Your printer needs to be sure to have Page Scaling marked to "Fit to paper" and that will correct this problem. (My printer reprinted this for free after I pointed it out.)

Regards,

Sean Preston
www.realityblurs.com
razorwise
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Denaes » Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:23 pm

razorwise wrote:

Your printer needs to be sure to have Page Scaling marked to "Fit to paper" and that will correct this problem. (My printer reprinted this for free after I pointed it out.)

Regards,

Sean Preston
www.realityblurs.com

Shouldn't a PDF created for 8.5x11 paper print on said paper without resizing?

I could have asked them to reprint it, heck they messed up and made it single sided also. But the girl there was cute and new and it would have taken another 45 minutes. :green:
Denaes
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Strand0 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:01 pm

NOT ERatta
Denaes wrote:I'm not sure if this is erratta or not...

On pg 71 on Rush it's stated that if the Rushee fails, they fly back 5ft per number they fail by.

Our player who was Rushed ended up flying 17 squares backward... We didn't think True20 was going for the Cartoon/Comic feel and it feels pretty well grounded in other aspects so thought that something in here might be a typo
It also says in RUSH:
"... You can't , however, exceed your nprmal movment speed, so ant additional distence is ignored."

May I add the this type of knockback is not nessisarily being flung through the air. It can easily be stumbling backward frombeing shoved off balance. Not super hero like at all. 8)

By the way M&M is 5" squares for knockback, not one foot. :wink:
It is said that 'he who makes the best egg-salad shall rule over heaven and Earth'. ... Don't ask me why egg-salad, I have enough agravation.
Strand0
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Denaes » Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:36 pm

Strand0 wrote:May I add the this type of knockback is not nessisarily being flung through the air. It can easily be stumbling backward frombeing shoved off balance. Not super hero like at all. 8)

Yes I know. I used "fly back" in a non literal sense.

By the way M&M is 5" squares for knockback, not one foot. :wink:

Ok, well my friend at the table read it wrong or it was in error in his copy which was 1st edition, 1st printing.

It was a little confusing why a Superhero game would have less knockback than a fantasy game. That would make more sense
Denaes
Cohort
Cohort

Postby KyleC » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:22 am

carpedavid,

I've seen threads like this before where the original poster would continually edit the first message in the thread listing all the errata people have found so far. You might consider doing something similar. It would make it easier to see what people have already caught without having to read through the entire thread each time.

For my part:

Page 30, Improved Dodge:
Improved Dodge grants a bonus when taking a dodge action in combat, but dodge isn't listed as an action in the fighting section of Chapter 6.

Page 68, Actions in Combat table:
The Actions in Combat table lists several actions to which there is no description:
Slam
Cover
Startle

Page 70, Grapple:
The description of Pin mentions the Improved Grapple feat. There is no such feat listed.

-KyleC
KyleC
Bystander
Bystander

Postby carpedavid » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:31 am

KyleC wrote:carpedavid,

I've seen threads like this before where the original poster would continually edit the first message in the thread listing all the errata people have found so far. You might consider doing something similar. It would make it easier to see what people have already caught without having to read through the entire thread each time.

Great idea! I'll hop right on it.
carpedavid
Bystander
Bystander

Postby KyleC » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:42 pm

Thanks! I know it's extra work for you, but it sure does make things easier for the rest of us.

-KyleC
KyleC
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Matterhorn » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:30 pm

Thanx Carpedavid.
Really appreciate that you are collating the errata.

Matterhorn.
Matterhorn is a collective of 500 echidnas with laptops sealed in a bunker beneath the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
Matterhorn
Cohort
Cohort

Postby KyleC » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:14 am

Got a few more for ya:

p. 28 Supernatural Feats
This is pretty nitpicky, but all the feats ending in the word Power are singular in the table, but plural in their description, e.g. Widen Power on the table is labelled Widen Powers in the description.

p. 31 Improved Pin
This feat does not appear in the Feats table.

p. 50 Wealth - Aid Another
The sentence "If the item's cost is above your current Wealthy..." should probably read "If the item's cost is above your current Wealth score..."

p. 63 Carrying Loads table
If this table is derived from d20 Modern, the Speed penalty for a Heavy load should be 1/2, not 2/3.

-KyleC
KyleC
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Tim Gray » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:38 am

Borderline as to whether it's an "error", but lack of a table summarising powers is unhelpful. We know this because Feats have one.
Tim Gray
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby KyleC » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:25 am

Some more I've run across:

p. 72 Combat Modifiers
Moving all out in the table has asterisks for Melee and Ranged modifiers, but is never explained.

p. 75 Dying
The definition of Dying on page 75 doesn't match the definition under Condition Summary on page 76. Specifically, the required recovery check is once per round on page 75 and once per hour on page 76.

p. 76 Condition Summary
Wounded is missing from the list of conditions.

-Kyle
KyleC
Bystander
Bystander

Postby corwyn » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:10 pm

I'm not sure if this is errata or not but...

Some powers (Enhanced Senses, Heart Reading) refer to a "Wisdom" attribute, but it doesn't seem to be defined anywhere.
corwyn
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Tim Gray » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:35 am

corwyn wrote:I'm not sure if this is errata or not but...

Some powers (Enhanced Senses, Heart Reading) refer to a "Wisdom" attribute, but it doesn't seem to be defined anywhere.

Yes, in the same sense as others are "Fatiguing" (which we know all about). I spotted it too.

Although actually the rules for Fatigue from casting need fixing because they refer to spell rank for the save's target number, which doesn't exist - I suspect it's a relic from an old design idea.
Tim Gray
Dabbler
Dabbler

PreviousNext

Return to True20 Archives