True20 Setting Search

This forum has been locked to further posting but will be maintained here as an archive. Please visit http://true20.com for the True20 and Blue Rose forums.

Postby Strand0 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:40 pm

GMSkarka wrote:This seems as good a place as any to put this out there:
We've gotten a surprisingly large number of folks emailing in the past few days, so I'm posting here what I've been telling them--

Adamant Entertainment is not looking for any outside pitches for True20 settings.
WooW! Like more than 10? :o

:idea: Do you know of anyone who is?
It is said that 'he who makes the best egg-salad shall rule over heaven and Earth'. ... Don't ask me why egg-salad, I have enough agravation.
Strand0
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby GMSkarka » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:03 pm

Strand0 wrote:WooW! Like more than 10?

No, I had gotten about 8 before I posted this here and at E.N. World. In fact, we got our first query email before I had even read that there WAS a setting search.

Strand0 wrote:Do you know of anyone who is?

Nope. It's my guess that any publishers who are interested will generate their submissions in-house.
Gareth-Michael Skarka
Adamant Entertainment
GMSkarka
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby ravenspoe » Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:33 am

Not meaning to be a royal pain in the Arse...

Is there a writers format that these submissions should follow?
Each company does these a bit different, so I don't want to submit what may just be concidered a lump of text because it does not follow guidelines.

Cheers
J. Carpio "Dregg"
Freelance Writer & Game Designer
www.chapter13press.com
See my True 20 Fallen Empires Blog
http://knightscouncil.blogspot.com/
ravenspoe
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Strand0 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:30 pm

Will GR be creating a Campaign world of it's own for True20, or is it just us outside publishers?
It is said that 'he who makes the best egg-salad shall rule over heaven and Earth'. ... Don't ask me why egg-salad, I have enough agravation.
Strand0
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Pramas » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:02 pm

ravenspoe wrote:Not meaning to be a royal pain in the Arse...

Is there a writers format that these submissions should follow?
Each company does these a bit different, so I don't want to submit what may just be concidered a lump of text because it does not follow guidelines.

Remember these are rtf files and just keep things simple. Keep away from Word's fancier functions. Those just get in the way.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby Pramas » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:04 pm

Strand0 wrote:Will GR be creating a Campaign world of it's own for True20, or is it just us outside publishers?

We have several irons in the fire of course. We haven't settled on how we're going to be handling each one. We may end up putting one in the True20 core book, but then again maybe not. If we get lots of quality submissions, we're going to want to get the maximum number in the core book.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Question on 2 pubs

Postby SteveZ » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:50 pm

Hi there,

Can I have an official answer on this: Do PDF board games count as "two publications" for the setting search?

My company publishes PDF board games but have never delved into publishing any OGL material although we are very familiar with it.

Steve Z.
http://www.battleplay.com
SteveZ
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Tim Gray » Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:54 pm

Can the setting have ever appeared anywhere else in some form? An adaptation of an existing one? A work-up of short notes that were publicly available?

Where would you say you're looking on the spectrum from mainstream to way-out?

Tim Gray
Silver Branch Games
Tim Gray
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Deadstop » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:05 pm

The rules of the setting search say that a winning company will receive a license to put the True20 logo on any support products, but must require use of True20 Adventure Roleplaying.

Fair enough.

What if the company wishes to produce further material for the setting using its own house system (without the logo, obviously), or dual-statted (but within the requirements of the contest)? Is that permissible, or do the rules restrict future development of the setting to the True20 system only?

Deadstop
Deadstop
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Tim Gray » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:09 am

Bump, for the back-from-Origins folks.
Tim Gray
Dabbler
Dabbler

Setting Rules

Postby aaronil » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:56 am

Thanks for the Q&A, I've found it very informative!

What are the guidlines for the creation of new rules? Such as new powers, new feats, new uses for old skills (e.g. bribery for Bluff), entirely new skills, or new uses for Conviction?
aaronil
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Re: Question on 2 pubs

Postby Pramas » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:52 pm

SteveZ wrote:Hi there,

Can I have an official answer on this: Do PDF board games count as "two publications" for the setting search?
http://www.battleplay.com

Sure. No reason they wouldn't count as publications.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby Pramas » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:55 pm

Tim Gray wrote:Can the setting have ever appeared anywhere else in some form? An adaptation of an existing one? A work-up of short notes that were publicly available?

As long as you own the rights to it, you can submit it.

Where would you say you're looking on the spectrum from mainstream to way-out?

We have no opinion really. We just want good, interesting settings.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby Pramas » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:58 pm

Deadstop wrote:What if the company wishes to produce further material for the setting using its own house system (without the logo, obviously), or dual-statted (but within the requirements of the contest)? Is that permissible, or do the rules restrict future development of the setting to the True20 system only?

Yes, it's permissible. Remember that we aren't buying the rights to these settings. The winners retain the copyright to them and we wouldn't presume to tell them what to do with the settings beyond the scope of True20. If someone wants to release a veersion of the setting with different rules, that's the publisher's perogative. Our limitations only have to do with True20 and the use of our Trademark.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Re: Setting Rules

Postby Pramas » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:59 pm

aaronil wrote:What are the guidlines for the creation of new rules? Such as new powers, new feats, new uses for old skills (e.g. bribery for Bluff), entirely new skills, or new uses for Conviction?

All up to you. This is your chance to impress us.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby Tim Gray » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:41 pm

Thanks Chris.
Tim Gray
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby LeaderDesslok » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:54 am

Another silly question: When is the print version slated to go on sale? Winners are being announced in December, but that does not necessarily mean the book is also going to press at that time.

I'm taking an optimistic view and assuming our company's submission will make the cut, and so I I'm trying to gauge a good timetable for expanding my work over the coming 6 months. :D
Michael Thompson
D20 Mechanics Editor
Silven Publishing
www.silven.com
LeaderDesslok
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Pramas » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:02 am

LeaderDesslok wrote:Another silly question: When is the print version slated to go on sale? Winners are being announced in December, but that does not necessarily mean the book is also going to press at that time.

It's scheduled for Q1 2006. We'll announce a more specific date this Fall.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby LeaderDesslok » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:51 pm

Excellent, thank you sir.
Michael Thompson
D20 Mechanics Editor
Silven Publishing
www.silven.com
LeaderDesslok
Bystander
Bystander

Re: True20 Setting Search

Postby carpedavid » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:31 am

SassyRonin wrote:* Each entry must be accompanied by a submissions form. We'll be putting this form online later this summer.

Since we're about a month away from when we'll need to send in the settings, any chance that we'll see this form soon?

Thanks!
Dave
carpedavid
Bystander
Bystander

Re: True20 Setting Search

Postby SassyRonin » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:45 pm

carpedavid wrote:
SassyRonin wrote:* Each entry must be accompanied by a submissions form. We'll be putting this form online later this summer.

Since we're about a month away from when we'll need to send in the settings, any chance that we'll see this form soon?

Thanks!
Dave

How's right now for soon? :green:

http://www.greenronin.com/submissions.php#true20
SassyRonin
Triple Secret Administrator
Triple Secret Administrator

Postby HalWhitewyrm » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:58 am

Quick question that came to mind:
If we enter the setting search and win a license, will that allow me to publish any material for True20, or just material relating to the setting submitted?
HalWhitewyrm
Groupie
Groupie

Postby carpedavid » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:15 pm

HalWhitewyrm wrote:Quick question that came to mind:
If we enter the setting search and win a license, will that allow me to publish any material for True20, or just material relating to the setting submitted?

I was wondering the same thing. I've got an idea in my mind of a "setting gallery" that provides the basics of a number of different worlds and genres - similar in function to the way the settings are likely to be presented in the True20 print version.

Oh, and SassyRonin - thanks! My submission is already in the mail and on its way to the Green Ronin offices.
David M. Garrett
Amalara
http://www.amalara.com
carpedavid
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Tim Gray » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:30 pm

HalWhitewyrm wrote:Quick question that came to mind:

"If your company wins, you'll retain ownership of your setting and receive full credit in the True20 book. You'll also receive a royalty free license to use the True20 logo on any support material for your setting that you choose to produce."

I think their aim is quality control, and if you started putting out stuff that they'd never seen anything about before it could defeat that purpose.
Tim Gray
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby GoRocket » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:48 am

Yeah, I have to agree. This sentence pretty much spells it out:

You'll also receive a royalty free license to use the True20 logo on any support material for your setting that you choose to produce.
GoRocket
Dabbler
Dabbler

PreviousNext

Return to True20 Archives