d20 + Savage Worlds = True20!

This forum has been locked to further posting but will be maintained here as an archive. Please visit http://true20.com for the True20 and Blue Rose forums.

d20 + Savage Worlds = True20!

Postby Yldarr » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:51 pm

I have 90% fell in love with this system.
I am getting ready to run BR, as I do like the setting, but it's not my first choice for type of setting.

I have been playing Savage Worlds for almost 2 years since my 3 year long battle with d20 ended with me staring at a stack of d20 books and a bunch of disgruntled players.

I'm a 20+ years veteran of gaming and I've played many rpg's over the years. But I always come back to some form of D&D. When 3rd Ed. came out I was stoked and it played fine for the first couple of years. Then it kinda fizzled when I realized that though I liked it alot, it had it's problems IMHO anyway.

I found Savage Worlds and I am completely happy with that system...but, like I said, anything can win me back to D&D type games if they're inventive enough.

Blue Rose, or its system (True20) more correctly, lured me back.
It's everything I love about d20 minus most of the things I hate and replaced with most of the things I love about Savage Worlds!

Now, that last 10% will come if Green Ronin puts out more True20 settings.

d20 is a bad dream, the Truth is out there...True20.
Yldarr
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Yldarr » Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:45 am

Does anyone else play Savage Worlds and if so do you see the similarities?
All good of course!
I don't think of True20 as "rules-lite", I think of it as "rules-smooth" or "rules-different" as compared to d20.
It really is a hybrid of d20 and Savage Worlds though...which is a darn good thing I must say!
"d20 is a conspiracy, the Truth is out there...True20."

Yldarr, The Earthfather
Yldarr
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Blackhawk » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:44 am

Yeah, I play Savage Worlds... a bit. :wink:

Basically I saw similarities in M&M (great minds and all that), and even more similarities with True20.

Still, I think there are design elements of True20 that serve the setting, genre, and marketing of Blue Rose that serve to separate it from Savage Worlds in a few key places for me.

Overall, like M&M, I think True20 is another big step at fixing issues I personally have with d20, but... it's still not quite there yet.

That said, I think True20 is a nice place where SW and D20 players can sit down and have a great game together. :D

And I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head. True20 is similar to SW because it follows the same approach, clearing out the unnecessary rules baggage. Neither system is really "rule-lite," just "rules-uncomplicated."
Blackhawk

"Me? I blame the pudding pops."
Blackhawk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby Yldarr » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:23 pm

Blackhawk wrote:...That said, I think True20 is a nice place where SW and D20 players can sit down and have a great game together.... :D

Here, here! Nicely said. :D
"d20 is a conspiracy, the Truth is out there...True20."

Yldarr, The Earthfather
Yldarr
Bystander
Bystander

Return to True20 Archives