Shapeshift Question

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Shapeshift Question

Postby The Human Pest » Tue Dec 03, 2002 8:30 am

Just a request for clarification.

Shapeshift power (p80-81) allows "Growth" power for price of 3 extras. This would increase overall cost to 5 per level (2+3).

Growth Power (p72) has base cost of 6 per level.

So I assume that Growth via Shapeshift should be a little less potent than standard Growth.

Definition of Growth Power, in addition to size modifiers, has three automatic bonus features: Immovability, Protection and Superstrength.

Which, if any, of these "bonus" features attach to Shapeshifted Growth?

If the answer is "none" but a player is willing to pay more to acquire them as part of his Shapeshift abilities, would the bonus features count as extras or stunts?
The Human Pest
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Tenzhi » Tue Dec 03, 2002 10:32 am

Without Protection, Immovability and Super-Strength, Growth is almost a flaw since all it grants is larger size and increasingly large attack and defense penalties.

Since you can purchase Protection and Immovability as extras for Shapeshifting, I'm assuming that Growth still grants Super-Strength but not the other two. If you take Growth, Protection, and Immovability, it adds 5 points per rank to the cost. If you were simply adding the full power, Growth as an extra it would add 5 points to the cost (powers as extras add base cost minus one).
Tenzhi
Henchman
Henchman

Postby The Human Pest » Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:16 pm

I like your analysis. I guess that makes sense to me.
The Human Pest
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hmmm

Postby gobbo » Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:49 pm

The drawback here, is that you can only use the Growth when shapshifting. So, it gets a dicounted cost as it is linked to the Shapeshift power. I, as a GM, would not allow the player to use it with out changing his form [aka: you only bigger is not enough of a shift to count]
"Dice, grant us your friendship; have pity on us. Do not bewitch us with the force of your terrible sorcery. Lay to rest your anger, your hatred. Let someone else fall into the trap of the dice." -- Gamer's Lament
gobbo
Cohort
Cohort

Re: Hmmm

Postby The Human Pest » Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:58 pm

gobbo wrote:The drawback here, is that you can only use the Growth when shapshifting. So, it gets a dicounted cost as it is linked to the Shapeshift power. I, as a GM, would not allow the player to use it with out changing his form [aka: you only bigger is not enough of a shift to count]

So are you suggesting that Shapeshifted Growth gets more than just STR?

Also, it's your call as GM, of course, but how much of a "shift" would be necessary? Seems like that would be sort of a tough line to enforce.
The Human Pest
Super Poster
Super Poster

Shift

Postby gobbo » Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:50 pm

I would say it would depend on what the shifters power allowed for. I guess it could be used to shift to a bigger form of yourself. Growth gives you levels of Protection, and Immovability as well.
"Dice, grant us your friendship; have pity on us. Do not bewitch us with the force of your terrible sorcery. Lay to rest your anger, your hatred. Let someone else fall into the trap of the dice." -- Gamer's Lament
gobbo
Cohort
Cohort

Postby The Human Pest » Tue Dec 03, 2002 2:36 pm

Looks like a split of opinion.

Maybe Steve or Eric can help.

(Though I don't know how much longer they can keep up the Q&A as the board blossoms ...)
The Human Pest
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Shard O'Glase » Tue Dec 03, 2002 2:57 pm

The Human Pest wrote:Looks like a split of opinion.

Maybe Steve or Eric can help.

(Though I don't know how much longer they can keep up the Q&A as the board blossoms ...)

If I was steve or eric I'd of gone on a killing spree by now fom all the quesitons eing thrown at them. (ok maybe just a GTA killing spree)
Dude, dude we got to go.
What, are you crazy, I’m surrounded by break-dancing strippers
Dude, it’s an emergency.
So is this dude, it’s a break-dancing stripper emergency.
Shard O'Glase
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Shapeshift Question

Postby faenril » Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:32 am

The Human Pest wrote:Just a request for clarification.

Shapeshift power (p80-81) allows "Growth" power for price of 3 extras. This would increase overall cost to 5 per level (2+3).

Growth Power (p72) has base cost of 6 per level.

So I assume that Growth via Shapeshift should be a little less potent than standard Growth.

Definition of Growth Power, in addition to size modifiers, has three automatic bonus features: Immovability, Protection and Superstrength.

Which, if any, of these "bonus" features attach to Shapeshifted Growth?

If the answer is "none" but a player is willing to pay more to acquire them as part of his Shapeshift abilities, would the bonus features count as extras or stunts?

It has been corected in the errata ;) cost 5 extra.
Never Give-Up, never Surrender !
faenril
Devotee
Devotee

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives