Dazzle, Personal, Area effect

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Dazzle, Personal, Area effect

Postby Captain Claymore » Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:46 pm

I have an NPC with Dazzle and Mind Control as personal range, area effects at +9. My question is how the area effect works on such powers. For Dazzle do her victims make two Reflex saves. The first to see if her power is halved, then the second at either DC19 or DC14 depending on the results of the first. Same goes for the Mind control. Are peoples Will saves easier if they make their Reflex Save?

Her concept is sort of like a Wood Nymph's blinding beauty. The Dazzle blinds and deafens those who see her while she exudes mind controlling pheremones that work on all living beings in her area.

Her CS is in the downloads section of Valdier.com if anyones interested in checking out the exacts of her abilities. http://www.valdier.com/roleplaying/MnM/ ... nshine.pdf
Captain Claymore
Cohort
Cohort

Postby mgg » Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:52 pm

I wouldn't buy any power as 'personal' that affects others. You have the saves right, going by the book, but I tend to make house rules for these kind of area effects.

In fact, I wouldn't buy dazzle with area effect, instead I'd use trigger.

Dazzle + Trigger (person looks at Nymph). I'd still give the target a reflex save, and possibly use a double trigger, since it isn't a trigger someone can sense (until it is too late). Use the permanent flaw if it is always on.

It is possible that other extras are required to change the duration or action of the power. I'm uncertain about that.

The mind control means that everyone in the area listens to what she has to say? Hmm.

Mind control - flaw touch + extra area + extra action:free - restricted, pheremones. Then I'd house rule the save. I'd just make it a will save for everyone, with zero effect if the save is successful.
mgg
Devotee
Devotee

Postby haferka » Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:08 pm

Dazzle
E: Mental, E:Range, E:Triggered x2, F:Iniffective(vs. Non-living), F:Permanant
Cost = 4 ==> 2 (base) +4 (extras) -2 (flaws)

Mind Control (as secondary effect from Dazzle)
E:Duration, E:Triggered x2, F:Iniffective(vs. Non-Dazzled), F:Permanant, F:Restricted-Pheromones, F(Partial 1/2 rank):Restricted:Touch, F(Partial 1/2 rank):Limited-One Command("Stop")
Cost = 1 ==> 2 (base) + 3 (extras) - 4 (flaws)

Just keep the ranks of Dazzle & Mind Control equal.. I added the partial flaws for Mind Control as flavor.. (they are always 1/2 the toatl power rank each, so you can give the "stop" command from the range of sight and when your get close enophe to touch them you get total control.

I was very supprised how quickly the cost of mind control dropped. You might want to actually add some other Extras, for Dazzle, such as Selective or ghost touch for mind control.
haferka
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Captain Claymore » Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:39 am

Glorious Visage +9 (Mental Stun with extras) (Cost:5, Total cost: 45pp)
Extra (+1): Triggered (by looking at her); Extra (+1): Area (45' centered on self); Extra (+1): Selective; Flaw (-1): Limited (Only living creatures); Flaw (-1): Range Touch (emanates from self only); [Attached Power: Mind Control +9; Extra (+1) Triggered (By successful Stun); Extra (+1): Area (45' centered on self); Flaw (-1): Range Touch (emanates from self only)

With a simple thought Sunshine can bring her enemies to their knees with overwhelming awe. Even hated enemies must resist the urge to do her every bidding. All chosen targets within 45’ get an intial Reflex Save to halve her area effect power ranks. Those who fail this save must pass a Will save DC19 to resist the Stunning effect. Those who are stunned must then make another Will save vs. her +9 Mind Control Power check or be subject to her commands. Those who pass the initial Reflex save have a DC14 stun save and face a +4 Mind Control power check.

Changed Dazzle to Stun with a mental save due to the nature of the power and the fact that deaf and blind slaves are sort of useless. It’s a bit more expensive overall but more powerful too. What do you all think?

Also, Triggered extra takes a half action power (or several) to a free action. Is this right? Should I have to buy down the action to free?
Captain Claymore
Cohort
Cohort

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives