villain quirks

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

villain quirks

Postby horned god » Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:26 am

Hey what do you think of the Quirk-Psychopathic Killer or Quirk-Vengeful for villains? Basically they make a DC 20 Will save to avoid doing whatever their quirk says they would.
horned god
Groupie
Groupie

Postby AaronUnicorn » Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:28 am

I don't really see the need for them, truthfully. As villains, they're kind of expected to behave that way, and as NPCs, they can be whatever power level you want them, so there's no need to worry about the points balancing out.

And I definately wouldn't let my PCs take them. ;)
AaronUnicorn
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Dr Archeville » Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:50 am

Qureik: Gloats to his Foes would be appropriate, though, since the Heroes could be foiling the Villains plans while he pontificats!
FNORD is Fnord is fnord...
Dr Archeville
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby mgg » Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:04 pm

That's not a quirk, that's just the way of mastermind villains everywhere. :)
mgg
Devotee
Devotee

Re: villain quirks

Postby Anthony » Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:36 pm

horned god wrote:Hey what do you think of the Quirk-Psychopathic Killer or Quirk-Vengeful for villains? Basically they make a DC 20 Will save to avoid doing whatever their quirk says they would.

Well, there's no save to resist Quirks. They have to spend a villian point to avoid doing that.

Practically speaking, there's no point; villians don't have to point balance.
Anthony
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby Strict31 » Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:13 pm

I don't know. I found that, when I was making villains, most of the insane or driven ones had some sort of ten point Quirk. When I reviewed them all and compared them with good guy NPCs (who largely did not have quirks), I began to wonder if most of the stuff I was thinking of as quirks simply could have been "special-effected"...a ten point difference ain't much, but it just felt wrong.

Strictly Speaking
"It was just that he was all alone, always by himself; never anyone to share the game. A man who lived in dreams. That's who he was."

Are you living in the real world?
Strict31
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby Anthony » Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:42 pm

Strict31 wrote:I don't know. I found that, when I was making villains, most of the insane or driven ones had some sort of ten point Quirk. When I reviewed them all and compared them with good guy NPCs (who largely did not have quirks), I began to wonder if most of the stuff I was thinking of as quirks simply could have been "special-effected"...a ten point difference ain't much, but it just felt wrong.

I solve this problem by being careless with point accounting on my villians. So the concept I'm building only needs 120 points in abilities, but needs PL 10 abilities? Guess I'll only spend 120 points. So the concept I'm building isn't supposed to be any more powerful than the PCs, but needs 200 points? 200 points it is.
Anthony
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby Strict31 » Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:06 pm

Anthony wrote:
Strict31 wrote:I don't know. I found that, when I was making villains, most of the insane or driven ones had some sort of ten point Quirk. When I reviewed them all and compared them with good guy NPCs (who largely did not have quirks), I began to wonder if most of the stuff I was thinking of as quirks simply could have been "special-effected"...a ten point difference ain't much, but it just felt wrong.

I solve this problem by being careless with point accounting on my villians. So the concept I'm building only needs 120 points in abilities, but needs PL 10 abilities? Guess I'll only spend 120 points. So the concept I'm building isn't supposed to be any more powerful than the PCs, but needs 200 points? 200 points it is.

Interesting point. At times, I'm not entirely sure that "balance" is as important as we often think. I mean, one of my main villains is a telepath. He's a unique telepath, but that's his only ability. He's higher PL than my signature NPC JLA-style heroes. Sovereign (the superman type) could easily kill him with a punch, even though Sovereign is about five PLs below the baddie. of course, the bad guy can whup Sovereign's bootie mentally. I reckon I vacillate on this subject, of course.

But I have run into occassions where, after having spent a certain number of points, I had points left over that didn't need to go anywhere.

Strictly Speaking
"It was just that he was all alone, always by himself; never anyone to share the game. A man who lived in dreams. That's who he was."

Are you living in the real world?
Strict31
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives