[steve] Feats question

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Moderator: Super Moderators

[steve] Feats question

Postby MagusRogue » Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:51 pm

I was wondering if it's legal to use two or more combat feats at once. The use I'm questioning is using Power Attack to add to damage while subtracting from attack, and using All-Out Attack to cancel that attack loss.
Aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnd...... this rant has finished.
MagusRogue
Archetype
Archetype

Postby Dr Archeville » Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:53 pm

Don't see why it wouldn't be.
FNORD is Fnord is fnord...
Dr Archeville
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby MagusRogue » Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:58 pm

it's kinda cheesy, especially if you keep stunning the villian... *G* jsut curious what steve-o thinks.
Aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnd...... this rant has finished.
MagusRogue
Archetype
Archetype

Postby horned god » Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:21 pm

I made a house rule after my first game. Players and Npc's can use as many feats as they wish in a round unless that feat alters damage, attack or defense attributes. Thus you could use Move By Attack, Precise Shot and Power Attack but you could not use Power Attack and All Out Attack in the same round, nor even something like Attack Focus or Aerial Combat.

This would mean you are using your skill as a player to pick and choose how you want to adjust the modifiers and still use the many feats which allow stuff like Instant Stand or Whirlwind attack which allow you to do extraoridinary stuff which does not grant modifiers.

I found I like that.
horned god
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Steve Kenson » Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:40 am

Yes, you can combine attack modifier feats, unless the feat specifically says that it doesn't stack with other feats.
Steve Kenson
Ronin Steve
Ronin Steve

Postby slaughterj » Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:49 am

horned god wrote:I made a house rule after my first game. Players and Npc's can use as many feats as they wish in a round unless that feat alters damage, attack or defense attributes. Thus you could use Move By Attack, Precise Shot and Power Attack but you could not use Power Attack and All Out Attack in the same round, nor even something like Attack Focus or Aerial Combat.

This would mean you are using your skill as a player to pick and choose how you want to adjust the modifiers and still use the many feats which allow stuff like Instant Stand or Whirlwind attack which allow you to do extraoridinary stuff which does not grant modifiers.

I found I like that.

Wow, can't use Dodge and Point Blank Shot at the same time, seems a bit much.
slaughterj
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Postby Mytheos » Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:03 am

Hmmm, makes sense that you might not be able to dodge and use point blank shot at the same time.

Are you trying to avoid getting hit, or to hit someone. You are concentrating on two dissimilar acts.
Why would you get to do both and recieve the bonuses for both feats.

[/list]
Good, Bad...Im the guy with the Gun.
Mytheos
Bystander
Bystander

Postby slaughterj » Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:05 am

Mytheos wrote:Hmmm, makes sense that you might not be able to dodge and use point blank shot at the same time.

Are you trying to avoid getting hit, or to hit someone. You are concentrating on two dissimilar acts.

[/list]

I was just using those 2 fairly innocous feats as an example of what his house rule prevents. However, game mechanically Dodge is nothing more than a modification of buying BDB, and yet one doesn't lose their BDB by engaging in Point Blank Shot. Point Blank Shot provides a bonus because of proximity, not because one is standing still or taking more time with their shot. So tell me, why wouldn't you get both at the same time?
slaughterj
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Postby Tesuji » Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:22 am

Mytheos wrote:Hmmm, makes sense that you might not be able to dodge and use point blank shot at the same time.

[/list]

Unless you are paralyzed... you are dodging. People with the dodge feat are just a little better at it than those without.

Whenever you attack, you are attacking AND dodging simultaneously... you have your BDB and perhaps a dodge bonus and use all of them at once. people with the point blank feat or other such feats are simply a little better at it than those without.

To me it is no different than say ALERTNESS, or say talented Spot and listen. You can make spot rolls even during combat while shooting and dodging and so forth. If you had the alertness feat, you would get a bonus to that spot check as normal, whether you were shooting or standing still.

So, for me, unless the rules say specifically otherwise, or unless there is a compelling reasons not to, I just let feats do what feats do and the character can use any of them that don't directly conflict.
The points don't make balance right, balance in play proves the points right.
Tesuji
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby horned god » Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:26 am

Ok I ammend my house rule then, as I never intended not to allow point blank shot and dodge. Thus you can do this but still can't use all out attack, power attack, expertise, and accurate attack at the same time. And come to think of it I would not care if someone also used Aerial combat or point blank shot either. Only a few of them really and even if it is official legal to do all feats as you feel like it I'd still work with such a house rule (and that goes for if I run at a convention).
horned god
Groupie
Groupie

Postby slaughterj » Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:08 am

horned god wrote:Ok I ammend my house rule then, as I never intended not to allow point blank shot and dodge. Thus you can do this but still can't use all out attack, power attack, expertise, and accurate attack at the same time. And come to think of it I would not care if someone also used Aerial combat or point blank shot either. Only a few of them really and even if it is official legal to do all feats as you feel like it I'd still work with such a house rule (and that goes for if I run at a convention).

As is evident from SK's post, you're working out a house rule, for which YMMV. But if you're going to run a game at a convention, I'd recommend that you run it strictly by the rules in the book as much as possible, else you'll only generate confusion and waste time in a limited time situation.
slaughterj
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

ditto!

Postby Giddoen » Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:30 am

slaughterj wrote:
horned god wrote:Ok I ammend my house rule then, as I never intended not to allow point blank shot and dodge. Thus you can do this but still can't use all out attack, power attack, expertise, and accurate attack at the same time. And come to think of it I would not care if someone also used Aerial combat or point blank shot either. Only a few of them really and even if it is official legal to do all feats as you feel like it I'd still work with such a house rule (and that goes for if I run at a convention).

As is evident from SK's post, you're working out a house rule, for which YMMV. But if you're going to run a game at a convention, I'd recommend that you run it strictly by the rules in the book as much as possible, else you'll only generate confusion and waste time in a limited time situation.

I run alot of demo's and I can tell you from exwperience that you should run the game the way it is straight from the book at cons it makes life much easier.
I could be nice...but wheres the fun in that!
Giddoen
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Re: [steve] Feats question

Postby gunsnammo » Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:54 pm

MagusRogue wrote:I was wondering if it's legal to use two or more combat feats at once. The use I'm questioning is using Power Attack to add to damage while subtracting from attack, and using All-Out Attack to cancel that attack loss.

Hey,

If anyone cares the way we do it our game is like Steve said, unless it says it can't stack then let it. I think they had that type of stuff in mind when they came up with those (I.e. all out attack/power attack.. great combo). And as far as point blank shot and dodge. One doesn't have anything to do with the other. If you are 30 feet or less away from your target then you get the +1 bonus, dodging doesn't have anything to do with it. They are feats they are supposed to give you bonuses that is why they cost points to buy. And always remember if the players can do it so can the gamemaster! >:)

gunsnammo
Can I use 3 points from my CHEESE pool?
gunsnammo
Bystander
Bystander

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives