Strange Appearance

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Strange Appearance

Postby jinx » Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:53 am

How would you 'stat' strange looking characters?

For example, Night Crawler and Mystique are strange looking but they are not disturbing in the MnM style.
jinx
Bystander
Bystander

Postby spatulalad » Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:01 pm

I'd argue that Nightcrawler would definitely qualify for 'Disturbing'; the guy was hunted as a demon in his homeland! Mystique, on the other hand, is just blue. I don't know if that qualifies in a world with lots of hot weird chicks.
spatulalad
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby horned god » Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:12 pm

Yes both could take disturbing as all disturbing is: causes heads to turn and they stand out in a crowd both of which would cause that. When others deal with them they'd have negatives on Bluff and Diplomacy. We all know though that Mystique only takes such a minus if she is in her Raven Darkholme form thus she could cancel out the modifier by simply assuming another form. She is a villian so she gets 10 points and a weakness which she can bypass, what's the big deal.
horned god
Groupie
Groupie

Postby jinx » Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:37 pm

Your points are good, so I'll cut to the chase. NC and M are poor examples, my actual character (Plush) looks like an eight foot tall cuddly elephant like Humphrey

http://www.cuddlycollectibles.com/baby_ ... corner.htm

He has STR 20 and SUPER STRENGTH +6 with a motto "I may be cute and cuddly but I punch you through a wall" (hes a PL6 character).
jinx
Bystander
Bystander

Postby mgg » Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:49 pm

Just looking strange is not enough to get disturbing. Causing heads to turn is not enough to get disturbing. Weaknesses in M&M are big ol' weakness. You have to be, well, disturbing.

Look through the heroes and villains in Freedom City and note how many do not have the disturbing flaw. Although more of the sample villains in the back of the book do, notice that Damocles does not.

The exact criterion depend upon the campaign world, of course, but comic book Mystique is not disturbing. Neither is the Beast, nor the Thing, nor Martian Manhunter (depending on the author, anyway.) The Swamp thing is disturbing.

In Champions terms, its not just unusual looks, its unusual looks + extreme reaction.
mgg
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Jason Starr » Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:42 pm

On a related topic: how do you all feel about a character taking "Instant Change" and turning into something that is disturbing? I think the Hulk was written up this way but it seems like taking a flaw that isn't really a flaw.

I guess the reasoning is that characters are in their super hero modes often enough that it disturbing would be a hinderance?
Jason Starr
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby mgg » Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:52 pm

I have no problem with a character having 'disturbing' only in their heroic form. Consider that they only get the advantage of the points gained for the weakness in the heroic form too.
mgg
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Jason Starr » Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:58 pm

Good point.
Jason Starr
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

When is a flaw, not a flaw?

Postby GothamKid » Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:43 pm

I would give it to Nightcrawler, but not Mystique for the same reason I wouldn't let Daredevil have the Impaired flaw. Being Disturbing, but a shapechanger that can change shape to a none Disturbing form isn't a flaw. Neither is being blind with Radar Sense an impairment. Just my 2 cents.

Oh, and in regards to mcgg's post, I might not give disturbing to Thing now, but I definitely would in the early Kirby, Lee run.
GothamKid
Bystander
Bystander

Re: When is a flaw, not a flaw?

Postby Nightlynx » Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:22 pm

GothamKid wrote:I would give it to Nightcrawler, but not Mystique for the same reason I wouldn't let Daredevil have the Impaired flaw. Being Disturbing, but a shapechanger that can change shape to a none Disturbing form isn't a flaw. Neither is being blind with Radar Sense an impairment. Just my 2 cents.

Oh, and in regards to mcgg's post, I might not give disturbing to Thing now, but I definitely would in the early Kirby, Lee run.

Yeah i would agree - Disturbing has alot to do with the nature of the setting, style, and GM as to what is Distrubing and what isn't - In my own setting odd skin color (mystique) wouldn't produce much of a stir while having a blue fur, three fingers and three toes, fangs and a tail well I assume you get the picture :D

peace and good gaming

Nightlynx
Something unprecedented is just being born, and I want to see it. But it is the one thing I break even by tounching it. Randomness. - GOD
Nightlynx
Henchman
Henchman

Postby barbedwings » Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:32 pm

I would rule that "Disturbing" depends entirely on the setting... in a roleplay sense it is supposed to show your inability to interact because by the standards of your world you are ..well..disturbing to look at.

If your world is chock full of mutants and supers, then having blue skin might not be that disturbing, but having 666 tentacles instead of a face might qualify.

Personally I would rule that a giant plush elephant toy looking thing is disturbing as hell, but then again that might just be me.

In my campaign, my hero, Obsidian, has the disturbing weakness because he is 11 feet tall, has almost no recognizable facial features and is made entirely of magical stone. He has a grating rumbling voice and weighs over a metric ton. Even in a superhero rich world, he is a very intimidating presence.
barbedwings
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Doctor Otaku » Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:30 pm

The definition of disturbing would be different to each setting. For my examples, while Moai (a 7' tall walking statue) isn't as disturbing as Venger (an alien who floats around looking like the Grim Reaper and has an attitude that would put even the moodiest goth to shame). I has some characters who look as close to a normal human as can be, but they have some air about them that tends to unsettle those around them. Disturbing can have a very broad interpretation. It's a weakness that should be adjudicated on a case-by-case basis, even within an individual setting.
Doctor Otaku
"I'm not a villain, I'm just heroically challenged!"
Visit the The Demented Dojo!
Doctor Otaku
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby horned god » Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:50 am

How about a guy who has large whitish puss-infested zits which wiggle and move and occassionally explode (and no you dont' want to be standing near him when they do) would that be Disturbing. Perhaps we can call that disgusting and give him 20 points.
horned god
Groupie
Groupie

Postby jinx » Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:45 pm

Following on, if a character has a non-human appearance always would you:

1. Require them to take a limited shapeshift;
2. Give them a minor Weakness of a few PPs
jinx
Bystander
Bystander

Postby mgg » Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:51 pm

None of the above. Any well written character has a few minor weaknesses, psychological problems, dependents, enemies, likes and dislikes. Only the big ones are worth points in MnM. That's just the way the system is designed.
mgg
Devotee
Devotee

Postby mgg » Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:53 pm

Tesuji says it most eloquently here:

http://www.greenronin.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5256
mgg
Devotee
Devotee

Postby jinx » Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:12 pm

Thanks all. Your comments pretty much matched mine. Alternate Form Semi-solid (Cotton wool) instead of Shapeshifting :wink:

GhostBusters had the giant Marshmellow man, Freedom City has Plush, the eight foot cuddly elephant 8)
jinx
Bystander
Bystander

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives