Dumb New GM Questions: Power Durations

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Moderator: Super Moderators

Dumb New GM Questions: Power Durations

Postby spatulalad » Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:36 am

I've got some questions about the Duration of powers, particularly as how they relate to two characters in my campaign:

Drain - This character has Drain +10. She has the Extras Slow Recovery (1 Minute), All Physical Attributes, All Mental Attributes, Affects Others, and the power Boost tied into it. The duration of Boost and Drain are "Instant", however. So, if she is stunned or KO'd, do either of these effects go away? And if not - God help me.

Telekinesis - This character has TK +10 with the Extras Area Effect, Selective, Grapple, and the Flaw Sight Only. The duration, if memory serves, is Sustained. My question is, if the PC walks into a room and grapples ten mooks he can see with this power, can he then turn around and affect ten mooks coming from the other direction - breaking his line of sight with the first ten?
spatulalad
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Re: Dumb New GM Questions: Power Durations

Postby Novac » Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:39 am

spatulalad wrote:Drain - This character has Drain +10. She has the Extras Slow Recovery (1 Minute), All Physical Attributes, All Mental Attributes, Affects Others, and the power Boost tied into it. The duration of Boost and Drain are "Instant", however. So, if she is stunned or KO'd, do either of these effects go away? And if not - God help me.

Duration on the effect is instant. Meaning pow, you're boosted/drained. Next round, do it again. Slow Recovery is another thing, pow he's drained but the drained person recovers from the draining at 1/min. Then again, I may be wrong haven't used drain yet.

spatulalad wrote:Telekinesis - This character has TK +10 with the Extras Area Effect, Selective, Grapple, and the Flaw Sight Only. The duration, if memory serves, is Sustained. My question is, if the PC walks into a room and grapples ten mooks he can see with this power, can he then turn around and affect ten mooks coming from the other direction - breaking his line of sight with the first ten?

I'd say if he loses sight, he loses the hold.
Novac
Booster
Booster

Postby spatulalad » Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:28 pm

Thanks.

Got another question! :)

If a power is Sustained, do you need to "split up" ranks in the power to affect multiple situations at the same time, or is the full power always available?

For Instance: TK guy uses +10 TK to lift a car and hold it up. He then turns to lift a shrubbery. Does he get the full +10 on the second action, or would he need to divide his ranks up?
spatulalad
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby mgg » Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:58 pm

He doesn't need to divide up his ranks. He can use the power multiple times. Some GMs limit the number of free actions characters can take, thus limiting the number of effects that can be sustained.

Since it is TK, you might restrict the total amount the person can carry to the weight limit, but a car and a shrubbery aren't likely there.
mgg
Devotee
Devotee

Postby mouthymerc » Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:05 pm

spatulalad wrote:If a power is Sustained, do you need to "split up" ranks in the power to affect multiple situations at the same time, or is the full power always available?

For Instance: TK guy uses +10 TK to lift a car and hold it up. He then turns to lift a shrubbery. Does he get the full +10 on the second action, or would he need to divide his ranks up?

As long as both items fall within the maximum weight allowed to be lifted, I think you are okay. Any rolls made are at the full ranks of the power, though.
The merc with the mouth! Zealot!

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein
mouthymerc
Super Poster
Super Poster

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives