Marvel, DC, other setting conversions?

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Marvel, DC, other setting conversions?

Postby Demongg » Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:02 am

When I plan a campaign I usually write out some "basic rules" for the theme of the setting, types of characters, any background or timelines, NPC characters in the setting... etc....

Have you folks done anything like this for your own settings?

Are any of you playing in established settings (like the Marvel or DC universe, Hellboy universe, Image, Astro City, etc...)

Just looking to see/hear ideas of how you GMs set up campaigns...

thanks
-kev-
Demongg
Henchman
Henchman

Postby mrobviousjosh » Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:20 am

Yeah, I do some stuff like that. Mostly for character creation and setting theme. My game is a Mutant Game, in a mirror image of the X-Men world without any of the key players, particularly the X-Men and the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. That means, no high-tech PCs, Mystical, Sorcery, Martial Art, etc. as primary. The mutants have their mutant abilities, which must be related, and then skills on top, like martial arts, mysticism is too far a stretch I'm afraid, but maybe a high tech mutant, is fine. :) I really don't concern myself much with backstory.
If you send someone to save the world, you better make sure they like it the way it is.
-Triple X-
mrobviousjosh
Super Poster
Super Poster

Re: Marvel, DC, other setting conversions?

Postby Witchblade » Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:56 am

Demongg wrote:When I plan a campaign I usually write out some "basic rules" for the theme of the setting, types of characters, any background or timelines, NPC characters in the setting... etc....

Have you folks done anything like this for your own settings?

Are any of you playing in established settings (like the Marvel or DC universe, Hellboy universe, Image, Astro City, etc...)

Just looking to see/hear ideas of how you GMs set up campaigns...

thanks
-kev-

That's how I usually kick off any campaign, not just M&M. It helps to have a solid idea of where the campaign is going. Right now, I'm running three M&M campaigns. One is set in the Amalgam universe from DC/Marvel, but several years in the future, with brand-new Amalgamated heroes. We play this one only rarely, more as a distraction from our regular campaign than with any degree of seriousness. The second is set in Freedom City. Finally, my newest campaign idea is just starting to take shape, but it's going to revolve around a group of space-faring heroes in the future (bearing similarities to Legion of Super-Heroes, but not quite as expansive; the core team will be only six members).
John Grigsby
Staff reviewer for d20 Magazine Rack (Critic's Corner)
Witchblade
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Chris » Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:57 am

I ran a brief but highly enjoyable one-on-one Spidey campaign apart from our usual regular game. :yar:
You Woke Me Up To Tell Me I'm Still Asleep
Chris
Henchman
Henchman

Postby horned god » Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:29 am

I like the marvel universe myself and am devleoping a marvel based game which does include many of the marvel characters. I could simply play Marvel classic, saga, or the new MURPG. I choose not to though but in fact that is what I like, marvel based games. I do like the MnM characters and the FC book but simply use the actual Freedom City as a reference but the FC itself is New York basically. My players so far expressed the desire to play somewhere other than New York and I get the impression they want a place where spiderman is not around so they can in fact be 'the heros' hence if this were DC world the Justice League, if there is not close to them. Sounds good for this particular campaign. In the future once I get more of my npc's finished I was going to run pure convention games which are purely marvel based, and run in NYC perhaps or elsewhere and that means yes you could meet or play spiderman at a PL which is whatever that character happen to be. My spiderman for example is PL 14. Still I just might incorporate some of the MnM personalities and vilians into the marvel universe as all my npc's have stats and modifiers close to the book in power thus Dr. Sin can go up again a PL 14 spiderman just fine and I can trust in all the skill modifiers, saves, ranks, etc. I have that they'd be relative in power and useful to me.
horned god
Groupie
Groupie

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives