Stepford Cuckoos, more musings.

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Stepford Cuckoos, more musings.

Postby Novac » Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:48 pm

Okay, I was wondering how you would stat something like this. The classic "Five in One" is basically what the Stepford Cuckoos are. Each one has telepathic powers, but the more you get together, the more powerful they are.

I would think you'd do it with 1 being the PC, say Sophie and the other four would be Sidekicks. Other than that, I have no clue how to link them all up.
Last edited by Novac on Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Novac
Booster
Booster

Re: Stepford Cuckoos?

Postby Nightlynx » Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:24 pm

Novac wrote:Okay, I was wondering how you would stat something like this. The classic "Five in One" is basically what the Stepford Cuckoos are. Each one has telepathic powers, but the more you get together, the more powerful they are.

I would think you'd do it with 1 being the PC, say Sophie and the other four would be Sidekicks. Other than that, I have no clue how to link them all up.

Well feat - mental link might be a good place to start! And fairly cheap at 2 pts a pop! as for the the rest I am not really sure either but the sidekicks idea sounds sound!

peace and good gaming

Nightlynx
Something unprecedented is just being born, and I want to see it. But it is the one thing I break even by tounching it. Randomness. - GOD
Nightlynx
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Novac » Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:32 pm

Mental Link is a good start. I thought about Duplication at first too. Then maybe having the PC's telepathy Limited by how many of the duplicates are about.
Novac
Booster
Booster

Postby Dr Archeville » Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:15 am

Maybe each one has Boost, limited to affecting their sister's mental powers only? Say they're all PL 10, each with Telepathy 6 and Boost 1. 2 Cuckoos = Telepathy 7, 3 Cuckoos = Telepathy 8, 4 Cuckoos = Telepathy 9, and all 5 = Telepathy 10.
FNORD is Fnord is fnord...
Dr Archeville
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby barbedwings » Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:04 am

Dr. Arch, I think that sounds pretty good personally. :) Nightlynx, I love your avatar!
barbedwings
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby DrObvious » Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:44 am

I would say give them all Telepathy (and whatever else) at lvl 10 (if they are PL 10), and mabye 4 lvls of a flaw. Flaw is reduce efectie level of power by 1 for every cuckoo that is not in their imediate area.
I'm not mrobviousjosh or DocObvious, just some other guy. Obviously.

"In other words, Dr. Obvious and AaronUnicorn are quite correct" - Steve Kenson 8/7/03
DrObvious
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Nightlynx » Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:37 am

Hummmm -
Been giveing this one some more thought and here's one way of doing it - Take Cuckoo #1 and build her as PL 10 character with:

Freats:

-Mental Link
-Sidekicks (x4) "sisters"
-Psychic Awareness

Powers:

Mental Blast 5
-extra: Mental Assault
-flaw: Obvious (glowing eyes)

Mental Protection 5

Telepathy 5
-extra: Group Link - Memory Alteration - Mind Control
-flaw: Obvious (glowing eyes)

Boost 1
-extra: All Powers
-limited (sisters only)
-obvious (glowing eyes)

Then you build Cuckoos 2-4 with the following package:

Feats: Mental Link - Psychic Awareness
Powers: as above

As pointed out by Dr Archeville - the Boost would give you the "5 in 1" effect. And thats how I would go about building them - let me know what you folks think?

peace and good gaming
Nightlynx
Something unprecedented is just being born, and I want to see it. But it is the one thing I break even by tounching it. Randomness. - GOD
Nightlynx
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Novac » Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:00 pm

Thanks to all who have helped me with this. I am slowly but surely starting to learn the system better. Now, if I can find a nice PL 10 game in my area I'll be a happy camper.
Novac
Booster
Booster

Postby Nightlynx » Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:17 am

Novac wrote:Thanks to all who have helped me with this. I am slowly but surely starting to learn the system better. Now, if I can find a nice PL 10 game in my area I'll be a happy camper.

:wink: I understand your worries - I myself am going to be relocating in the next few months (job related stuff) And it's my hope to find not only other gamers but ones who are up for some M&M action :-?

So when you do find your group..... Will you be playing a character(s) inspired by the Stepford Cuckoos?

peace and good gaming :yar:

Nightlynx
Nightlynx
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Novac » Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:24 am

Yeah, going to be playing a version at PL 6 on alternating Sundays looks like.
Novac
Booster
Booster

Postby Dr Archeville » Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:06 am

With me as GM... muah hah hah!
Dr Archeville
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby Novac » Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:36 am

I've run into a few stumbling blocks.

1) Boost is range Personal
2) You can only get the benefits of one Boost at a time.
3) I have Power Corrupts and Gestalt looks good, but it's not quite right (Range Touch, Full Round Action: IE: You wouldn't be able to DO anything once in gestalt)

What I need is a power that works like Gestalt with a 'range' of about 10-20' :)

Now, I thought of Telepathy with a limited flaw to it. IE: You HAVE telepathy 6 (in this case) but the levels beyond 2 are limited by how many siblings you have.

Alone: Telepathy 2
1 Sib: Telepathy 3
2 Sibs: Telepathy 4
3 Sibs: Telepathy 5
4 Sibs: Telepathy 6
Novac
Booster
Booster

Postby Nightlynx » Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:55 am

Novac wrote:I've run into a few stumbling blocks.

1) Boost is range Personal
2) You can only get the benefits of one Boost at a time.
3) I have Power Corrupts and Gestalt looks good, but it's not quite right (Range Touch, Full Round Action: IE: You wouldn't be able to DO anything once in gestalt)

What I need is a power that works like Gestalt with a 'range' of about 10-20' :)

Now, I thought of Telepathy with a limited flaw to it. IE: You HAVE telepathy 6 (in this case) but the levels beyond 2 are limited by how many siblings you have.

Alone: Telepathy 2
1 Sib: Telepathy 3
2 Sibs: Telepathy 4
3 Sibs: Telepathy 5
4 Sibs: Telepathy 6

Well it is possiable to buy the extra for Boost caled range pg 97 ; "each application of this extra impoves a power's range by one step" ie touch to normal.

I haven't a clue how to fix the benifits limitation at the moment :-?

I do like your Telepathy with the limited flaw!

Honestly, it would seem that you have crossed over into the "will my GM allow it" grey area of gaming and if it were me I would more than likely say yes - as you have a sound concept in mind, aren't apperently trying to build a muchkin, and are really excited about finding a game in your area!

peace and good gaming

Nightlynx

ps
In the above I quoted from the main rule book and offered up the pg number - this wasn't done to offend, but rather to help you find it fast to have a look at it for yourself incase its something you over looked or would like to tweek for yourself :)
Nightlynx
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Novac » Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:32 am

I guess then I am good to go. My GM (Doc A) pretty much gave me the boost idea. If it's good to him, it's good to me. All statted out and ready to roll :)

Legion
Name: Eric LeCroix
PL 6

Attributes
Str: 10, Dex: 18, Con: 16, Int: 12, Wis: 20, Cha: 15

Feats
Fame, Dodge, Evasion, Sidekick (Alex, Bobby, Cody, David) x4, Mental Link, Indomitable Will

Skills
Balance: 4, Bluff: 10, Concentration: 5, Craft: 1, Diplomacy: 8, Disguise: 8, Drive: 5, Escape Artist: 4, Forgery: 1, Gather Info: 8, Hide: 4, Innuendo: 9, Intimidate: 8, Knowledge: 1, Listen: 5, Move Silently: 4, Perform: 8, Profession: 5, Science: 1, Search: 1, Sense Motive: 5, Spot: 5, Survival: 5, Taunt: 8

Powers
Telepathy 2 [extra: Mental Blast, Group Link, Memory Alteration, Super Charisma, Limitation: Obvious (Glowing Eyes)]
Mental Protection: 6
Boost 1 [extra: All Mental Powers, limitation: Siblings Only, Obvious (Glowing Eyes)]
Amazing Save (Reflex) 5

Technically speaking, with this writeup Legion COULD do 5 Mental Blasts per round but because the GM allows me flexability on the Boost issue (and I like the character a lot) I am going to only take 1 per round, until I can buy Rapid Attack then follow the rules for that and have 2 attacks per round. I'm not about ripping rules down and choking them, I think character first power last.

Special Effect: Because technically the Sidekicks are not really replaceable with just anyone, when they get knocked out they drop but when they're 'killed' they're teleported to a medical lab to 'heal in a few days' (when the sidekick feat replenishes).
Novac
Booster
Booster

Postby Novac » Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:40 am

Siblings
PL 5
Names: Alex, Bobby, Cody and David LeCroix

Attributes:
Str: 10, Dex: 18, Con: 16, Int: 11, Wis: 20, Cha: 15

Feats:
Fame, Dodge, Evasion, Mental Link, Indomitable Will

Skills:
Balance: 4, Bluff: 7, Concentration: 5, Diplomacy: 7, Disguise: 7, Drive: 5, Escape Artist: 4, Gather Info: 7, Hide: 4, Intimidate: 7, Listen: 5, Move Silently: 5, Sense Motive: 5, Spot: 5, Survival: 5, Taunt: 7

Powers:
Telepathy 2 [extras: Mental Blast, Group Link, Memory Alteration, Super Charisma, Limitation: Obvious (Glowing Eyes)]
Mental Protection: 5
Boost 1 [extras: All Mental Powers, Limitation: Siblings Only, Obvious (Glowing Eyes)
Amazing Save (Reflex) 5
Novac
Booster
Booster

Postby Dr Archeville » Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:04 am

Actually, it says in the text of the Boost power that it can either be used on yourself only or on others only.
Dr Archeville
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives