argo and superskrull

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Moderator: Super Moderators

argo and superskrull

Postby horned god » Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:06 pm

I am working on superskrull. So far Argo is the best 'like' character I have found in the MnM book. He has Mimic rank 12. Sounds good. Ok he pays for that and the extras listed with stuff like Extra Subject x6 for he mimics and ONLY mimics the powers of the Freedom League of the 1960's or 1970's or whatever it says. Point is they are basically the same as the 'currrent freedom league'. Which leads me to think he really does not have mimic like the Marvel character 'Mimic' who could and like the Mimic power seems to be allow you to literally mimic powers of those near you. Instead argo seems like super-skrull, he could mimic anyone at one time but locked into place exactly what he could mimic thus he has a sorta static mimicry, a flaw actually if you think about it and along with Tainted Mimicry means he shares their weaknesses too.

He has rank 12 but would he not have the powers of the freedom leaque at the various ranks they have those abilities. He cannot mimic Gadgets I don't think and he can only mimic an ability up to his rank of 12 thus captain thunderpants rank 13 ability would only work at rank 12 for him but if he had super-speed would he not have it at rank 10 like Johnny rocket?

So in reality he has literally all the various powers of each freedom league character at their listed rank or if I'm wrong then at rank 12 by default.

Ok would super-skrull be the same. It does matter. Would he pay the PP cost for what the FF can do and at a simliar rank OR pay for mimicry rank 12 and some extras like Extra Subject x4. I have created the FF and I know exactly what they have and what ranks they are. I know the super-skrull would not have stuff like Gadgets that Reed has nor would he be able to mimic Skills nor would he mimic Feats. Instead he would buy his own feats and skills. He mimics powers only and thus would not mimic ability scores either or at least only physical scores ie i'd take the strength of Thing, Dex of Johnny and Constitution of Thing as they are the highest.

Yet, does that means give super-strength 10 in all physical stats and allow him to assume the FF stats and yet, for all practicall purposes we know what they'd be all the time and they would not ever really change.

So for example Argo says he has 10 strength but in reality he has 18 + 10 superstrength cuz that is Captain Thunderpants's strength and if he were the strongest would he not always mimic that for his strength so when you wrote him up you really would want a character sheet reflecting his mimiced powers.

A super-skrull made around the level of argo as I am giving him also mimicry rank 12 since the FF has no power with a rank higher than 12: Elasticity (and some extras), Fire Control and Fire Field, Super-strength/Protection, force field and invisibility and all of these with many extras thus if you counted it all he'd end up I am guessing rank 17 to rank 20 but would not pay for any of it and instead just pay for mimicry 12. Also the FF's actual ranks as I made them that is aren't all 12, instead for example Sue has rank 9 force field (impervious if your wondering so its strong force field) and rank 9 invisibility so I can't see super-skrull doing a rank 12 version. Is his force field stronger or equal?

At least that is what it sounds like. Thoughts? How would you do it. I know you would not want to give him stuff for free but does argo get stuff for free or least really have access to a lot more than what seems listed since you can flip through the list of all the Freedom force characters and he is rank 17
horned god
Groupie
Groupie

Postby MagusRogue » Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:11 pm

looks good, just remember he's going to need Expanded Powers for Ben Grim (alternate form (solid) flawed permanent, so that's a cost 4 power, so you'll need Expanded Powers x2). Not sure on Jonny Storm.... Thinking Alternate Form (Fire) with energy blast. which'll be a cost x6 power. so you'll need 4 extras of Expanded Powers to do the Fantastic Four right.
Aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnd...... this rant has finished.
MagusRogue
Archetype
Archetype

Postby mouthymerc » Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:20 pm

I thought that the Superskrull has the F4's powers, not that he mimics them. Otherwise he would have to be around them to gain their abilities. I would just give him all their powers at a basic level.
The merc with the mouth! Zealot!

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein
mouthymerc
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby horned god » Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:11 pm

Ok it probably doesn't matter what the exact stats and ranks of the F4 are but Argo says on p 152 of freedom city book.

'Argo has the combined powers of the freedom league of 1995 (which is identical to the current team). all the powers of seven heros can make him tremendously powerful. His only real limitation is his inability to mimic the skills and other mental traits of the Freedom League; thus, he doesn't have raven's training or Daedelus' intellect. He also picked up some of the Freedom League's weaknesses when he copied their powers, and opponents can take advantage of them when fighting him. Argo's not ...blah blah blah....the rest would not apply to super-skrull.

He is rank 17, his base stats are 10 and a damage save of 5 (does that mean he has a hardness of 5? He has Mimic +12 [extras: Ability Scores, Feats, Powers, All Attributes, Continous, Expanded Powers (6pp/rank), Extra Subjects (6); flaw: Tained Mimicry, source super-science, cost 20pp]

What is that last 20pp for his Construct cost? This means he cannot mimic Joe Averge Home-brewed hero who walks up to him, instead it implies you flip open the FC book to the Freedom League characters and Argo can use any Skill, Feat, or Power listed at the rank of the particular character he is mimicking up to rank 12 (thus if Johnny Rocket has +10 super-speed that is what rank Argo's power of Super-Speed is).

At least that is how I am reading it and thus Argo is not a simple PL 17 character, he is basically a freedom league super-skrull, a being who mimicks the powers of a team. Imagine if Argo instead simply had mimiced the Atom Family's powers and thus since they have rank 10 in their powers basically he'd have only really needed rank 10 mimicry.

I think he mimics the Freedom League because otherwise mimicking the Atom Family would be too close in concept to a guy who can do what a team of four heros can do combined (read: Super-Skrull).

So it could be valid to write up Super-Skrull like Argo and thus give him base stats of 10 in his physical stats and yet functionally he would have any super-stats or base attributes any of the F4 had so it would be like benefiting from it without buying it unless you said he pays for it in the Mimic power cost.

Super-skrull then would mimick only the F4's power like Argo only mimics the Freedom League. My F4's write up have powers ranging from rank 4 to rank 12 thus I would need to give super-skrull rank 12 mimic at least and would do so and he'd probably end up rank 17 or 18 as I would give him some mental attributes greater than 10 for example. I also think I would not give him the ability to mimic feats and like argo he cannot mimick skills. But he would have mimick and the F4 could be on the other side of the universe and he'd still be able to mimick their powers if he were made 'like argo'.
horned god
Groupie
Groupie

Postby mouthymerc » Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:45 pm

horned god wrote:He is rank 17, his base stats are 10 and a damage save of 5 (does that mean he has a hardness of 5? He has Mimic +12 [extras: Ability Scores, Feats, Powers, All Attributes, Continous, Expanded Powers (6pp/rank), Extra Subjects (6); flaw: Tained Mimicry, source super-science, cost 20pp]

This cost seems off to me. I never took that close a look at it before. To me it looks like it should be 16 pp per rank. I think there was an error in calculation, unless I'm missing something.

horned god wrote:This means he cannot mimic Joe Averge Home-brewed hero who walks up to him, instead it implies you flip open the FC book to the Freedom League characters and Argo can use any Skill, Feat, or Power listed at the rank of the particular character he is mimicking up to rank 12 (thus if Johnny Rocket has +10 super-speed that is what rank Argo's power of Super-Speed is).

Actually, it says right under Campaign Use that "You may wish to have Argo duplicate the abilities of the player characters rather than the Freedom League." So, he can mimic Joe Averge Home-brewed hero if he so chooses.

horned god wrote:At least that is how I am reading it and thus Argo is not a simple PL 17 character, he is basically a freedom league super-skrull, a being who mimicks the powers of a team. Imagine if Argo instead simply had mimiced the Atom Family's powers and thus since they have rank 10 in their powers basically he'd have only really needed rank 10 mimicry.

Actually, he strikes me more as an anolog of the Super-Adaptoid, if not a direct representation.

horned god wrote:So it could be valid to write up Super-Skrull like Argo and thus give him base stats of 10 in his physical stats and yet functionally he would have any super-stats or base attributes any of the F4 had so it would be like benefiting from it without buying it unless you said he pays for it in the Mimic power cost.

While cost efficient, it would not actually be what the Super-Skrull is. He actually has the F4's powers and does not mimic them.

horned god wrote:Super-skrull then would mimick only the F4's power like Argo only mimics the Freedom League. My F4's write up have powers ranging from rank 4 to rank 12 thus I would need to give super-skrull rank 12 mimic at least and would do so and he'd probably end up rank 17 or 18 as I would give him some mental attributes greater than 10 for example. I also think I would not give him the ability to mimic feats and like argo he cannot mimick skills. But he would have mimick and the F4 could be on the other side of the universe and he'd still be able to mimick their powers if he were made 'like argo'.

Argo's Mimic power has the Continuous Extra. This is what allows it to retain all the Freedom League's abilities. So, yes, if he were on the other side of the galaxy and had not copied anyone else's abilities, then he could use their powers. If he gives up one of those slots to mimic someone else's powers, though, he will not be able to access those lost abilities until he can touch that particular individual again. This is just like the Super-Adaptoid.

In the end, it is more cost efficient to use Mimic, but not true to the Super-Skrull character. Besides, using Mimic would allow your Super-Skrull to mimic anyone's abilities, something the Marvel Super-Skrull can not do.

mouthymerc
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby horned god » Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:23 am

Good point's Mouthymerc. You convinced me not to use that approach. I agree with you.

Thank you.
horned god
Groupie
Groupie

Postby mouthymerc » Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:22 am

horned god wrote:Good point's Mouthymerc. You convinced me not to use that approach. I agree with you.

Thank you.

Just trying to show a different point of view. If it helps you, that's great. So, you're welcome.

mouthymerc
Super Poster
Super Poster

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives