Touch Attacks

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Moderator: Super Moderators

Touch Attacks

Postby jinx » Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:37 pm

Its interesting that MnM does not seems to use Touch Attacks.

For example, Mr Snare vs Mr Snail. Mr Snare wants to snare Mr Snail (who has a rock hard shell no less) but Mr Snare must still beat the shell's Protection even though 'in game' hitting the shell should snare Mr Snail. Ready for Mr Bird to flip it over a peck its insides out :evil:
jinx
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Oberoni » Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:28 pm

Protection is effective against the damage of an attack, not against the chances of the attack hitting in the first place.

So Mr. Snail will probably still be hit with a Snare pretty easily, unless he has a high Base Defense Bonus and dodge bonus.
Oberoni
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Inazuma » Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:20 pm

Right. Protection and other powers that affect Damage saves have no effect on Defense, and Defense is what you need to beat just to hit someone.
~Inazuma
"This is a superhero game! I demand to be given rewards for causing massive property damage!"
Inazuma
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Steve Kenson » Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:44 pm

Technically speaking, ALL attacks in M&M are "touch attacks" since armor doesn't grant a bonus to Defense, it provides Protection instead.

Touch attacks are only found in d20 games (like D&D) where armor makes you harder to hit with damaging attacks, thus making attacks that do not need to penetrate the armor easier.
Steve Kenson
Ronin Steve
Ronin Steve

Postby jinx » Sat Aug 02, 2003 2:16 am

Thanks all. I wasn't thinking.
jinx
Bystander
Bystander

Postby MylesC » Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:12 am

Steve Kenson wrote:Technically speaking, ALL attacks in M&M are "touch attacks" since armor doesn't grant a bonus to Defense, it provides Protection instead.

Touch attacks are only found in d20 games (like D&D) where armor makes you harder to hit with damaging attacks, thus making attacks that do not need to penetrate the armor easier.

Nonetheless, I warrant that it's easier to land a touch on someone than it is to land a solid blow. I allow a bonus to hit for powers with a Touch range for that reason.

Myles Corcoran
MylesC
Bystander
Bystander

Postby horned god » Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:27 am

If that question came up in your game due to someone attempting to do such a thing in a game that is the old rules lawyer trick from long ago. Trying to bypass someones armor cuz 'I only want to touch them'. Thus you don't penetrate Iron Man's armor you only want to touch him, same goes with snare or what not, yet snare is a reflex save, protection has nothing to do with it. Protection has to do with damage saves. Thus if you did a power that forced a fortitude save on someone like paralysis then you'd need to hit their Defense and if you did then they would make a fortitude save, protection has nothing to do with it. Yet, if your attack, touch or otherwise did Damage and thus required a damage save their protection could not be bypassed, end of subject. Ofcourse, someone could allow anything they feel like as a GM and I'm sure a player would try and cheese it cuz it sounds logical and possible to do this, yet will more than likely lead down a road labeled 'head ache for the GM' I think.
horned god
Groupie
Groupie

Postby slaughterj » Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:02 am

MylesC wrote:
Steve Kenson wrote:Technically speaking, ALL attacks in M&M are "touch attacks" since armor doesn't grant a bonus to Defense, it provides Protection instead.

Nonetheless, I warrant that it's easier to land a touch on someone than it is to land a solid blow. I allow a bonus to hit for powers with a Touch range for that reason.

Myles Corcoran

And what M&M powers have you found to apply that to?
slaughterj
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Postby Carnifex » Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:21 am

Maybe powers that require Touch require more than a momentary touch, you have to lay your hand on them and hold it there for a moment or so. Long enough that it's about as hard as actually hitting them for damage
Carnifex
Groupie
Groupie

Postby slaughterj » Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:38 am

Carnifex wrote:Maybe powers that require Touch require more than a momentary touch, you have to lay your hand on them and hold it there for a moment or so. Long enough that it's about as hard as actually hitting them for damage

Yep, even touch football requires more than a fleeting touch, it has to be enough that the participants perceive it. Or a beastie's poison bite might need more than a fleeting touch to inject the poison.
slaughterj
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives