How to go into making this power.

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

How to go into making this power.

Postby Luke de Sade » Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:50 pm

I wanna do a power similar to the vampire discipline Prescence, in which when someone looks at a character with this power he'd have to make a will save or he can't take any hostile action against the character with the power, and he will do everything to satisfy this character. Sort of like a Mind Control, but with the flaw Restricted-Target Has To Look At You.

Any ideas? Or do I just use Mind Control?
"Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."
Luke de Sade
Booster
Booster

Re: How to go into making this power.

Postby Strict31 » Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:15 pm

Luke de Sade wrote:I wanna do a power similar to the vampire discipline Prescence, in which when someone looks at a character with this power he'd have to make a will save or he can't take any hostile action against the character with the power, and he will do everything to satisfy this character. Sort of like a Mind Control, but with the flaw Restricted-Target Has To Look At You.

Any ideas? Or do I just use Mind Control?

I built something similar for a proposed telepath based loosely on vintage Psylocke. And I used a similar thing for the Goddess of Love, Ishtar. For Ishtar, I just modified the S-Cha extra, Intimidating Presence. Instead of fleeing, they stand helplessly enthralled by her intense beauty. Would basically function like Paralyis, with a different name, of course. As long as it has a single effect, I think you could easily mix and match stuff like Will svs or Fort Svs, durations, and other stuff to suit your needs.

So, ultimately, you could get away with just using Mind Control and tweaking the specifics of the power a bit.

Strictly Speaking
"It was just that he was all alone, always by himself; never anyone to share the game. A man who lived in dreams. That's who he was."

Are you living in the real world?
Strict31
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby mrobviousjosh » Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:37 pm

Well, there's the new fear aura in Power Corrupts. Use that as the template if you have it. Then from there, make an extra for Reverse Power. Instead of fear, it acts as a charm. Presence as I recall can do both depending on the level in the discipline. :wink:
If you send someone to save the world, you better make sure they like it the way it is.
-Triple X-
mrobviousjosh
Super Poster
Super Poster

Re: How to go into making this power.

Postby mouthymerc » Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:15 am

Luke de Sade wrote:I wanna do a power similar to the vampire discipline Prescence, in which when someone looks at a character with this power he'd have to make a will save or he can't take any hostile action against the character with the power, and he will do everything to satisfy this character. Sort of like a Mind Control, but with the flaw Restricted-Target Has To Look At You.

I think it would depend on the effect wanted. If you just want the target(s) to stand dumbfounded, then I would base it off of Paralysis. If you want to gain control of their actions, then I would use (as stated) Mind Control with the extras Triggered-Target gazing at you and Area and the flaw Range-Touch (2 reductions). You may want Selective in there also if you do not want to affect any cohorts.
The merc with the mouth! Zealot!

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein
mouthymerc
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby DarkTouch » Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:41 am

I wrote this up a while ago:

Majesty +10 [Base: Mind Control; Extras: Triggered X2 (When Attacked), Flaws: Limited - Only to prevent attacks, Range]

The Range flaw is only a partial flaw though.. it represents that Majesty (I'm using the LARP name for it, could be Table Top too) usually only matters if you're within ten feet or so when its done with vampire. I'd drop it if you want something with longer range.
My Blue Rose Character Sheet - Version 0.6 (Now OGL Compliant) Feedback welcome.
DarkTouch
Booster
Booster

Postby Luke de Sade » Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:35 am

Nice ideas, everyone. This is what I have so far. Made it last night before going to bed (the wife was buggin me about the light).

Charm:
+1 Opponents cannot take hostile actions against the character (Will Save)
+1 Opponent does everything in his power to protect character
+1 Opponent does everything the character orders him (Will Save-Same as Mind Control)
+1 Extra: Range
-1 Flaw: Target must look at character for power to work

I have it at 4pp per level. Sound good?
"Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."
Luke de Sade
Booster
Booster

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives