Teleport used as escape artist?

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Teleport used as escape artist?

Postby Chrono » Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:51 pm

Can teleportation be used to teleport out of bonds, or handcuffs that are holding a character?

-Chrono :green:
Chrono
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby DrObvious » Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:06 pm

Probably.

Your GM might say you can't because your special effect requires you to wave your hands or something, but they are being quite stingy if thats the case.

Now, if you bought the flaw "must wave hands", then your out of luck.
I'm not mrobviousjosh or DocObvious, just some other guy. Obviously.

"In other words, Dr. Obvious and AaronUnicorn are quite correct" - Steve Kenson 8/7/03
DrObvious
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Chrono » Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:15 pm

lol :wink: thanks for the reply, working on a stealthy sort of character, and wanted to use teleport for quick escapes if needed, as well as in combat :D

-Chrono
Chrono
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby mrobviousjosh » Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:19 pm

Well, since normally they teleport items with them, I would say that they have a level of control they can put on that. They can't teleport with a bullet, that had been inside them, behind but bonds around the hands and legs are acceptable IMHO. I think that complex stuff, like straightjackets might be a stretch though. :wink:
If you send someone to save the world, you better make sure they like it the way it is.
-Triple X-
mrobviousjosh
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Chrono » Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:50 pm

Alright :green: , just a precaution, I'd more than likely teleport away before I was cuffed, or bonded, unless they nullify my powers :wink:

-Chrono
Chrono
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby mrobviousjosh » Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:38 pm

True enough. :)
If you send someone to save the world, you better make sure they like it the way it is.
-Triple X-
mrobviousjosh
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby faenril » Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:20 am

Perhaps with Extra effort ?
Never Give-Up, never Surrender !
faenril
Devotee
Devotee

Postby J.T » Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:04 am

Hi Chrono,

Perhaps you could have a limited power that is touch only usable on others (inanimate objects) this would allow you to teleport the handcuff off your character and even straight jackets. Only a thought!!! :D

regards,

J.T.
J.T
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby The Fifth Wanderer » Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:06 am

I'd call for a power check, or spending a hero point. Or maybe just adding Teleport's level as a bonus to an Escape Artist roll.
Rules of Combat #15: Teamwork is essential. It gives them someone else to shoot at.
The Fifth Wanderer
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby Gamer X » Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:11 am

That's an interesting idea. I've never before considered other functional normal-life uses for Teleport other than just getting somewhere quickly. But to think that I could also teleport out of my clothes and straight into the shower!! :lol:

I think that would take a better-than-normal amount of control. Maybe a Teleport action vs. a high difficulty level?

But you do see people teleport out of bonds and handcuffs all the time. I agree that straight jackets would be more complicated.
Gamer X
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Carnifex » Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:47 am

Gamer X wrote:
But you do see people teleport out of bonds and handcuffs all the time. I agree that straight jackets would be more complicated.

Wow, where do you live? I've never seen any one do that :D

If the handcuff etc is Snare, I would say not. Unless you spend a hero point to buy the Drain (flaw: Snare only) an an Extra.
Carnifex
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Chrono » Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:25 pm

J.T wrote:Hi Chrono,

Perhaps you could have a limited power that is touch only usable on others (inanimate objects) this would allow you to teleport the handcuff off your character and even straight jackets. Only a thought!!! :D

regards,

J.T.

I like the idea, and may very well have to put that to use :green: , perhaps as an extra of teleport, rather than entirely new power. :D

-Chrono
Chrono
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby J.T » Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:34 pm

Go for it Chrono,

Can't wait to see the finished character, post it as soon as its complete won't you! :D

J.T.
J.T
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Chrono » Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:22 pm

Unfortunately, it was an idea for an already existing character, so I'll have to pick up some points before I can add it as an extra :wink: but I'm pretty sure my GM'll allow it, he's pretty open to new powers etc. as long as it's balanced. Anyways, here's the character as he is right now

Revenant
PL 8

Abilities.Score.Base.Power.Total
STR........10....+0....+0......+0
DEX........20....+5....+3......+8
CON.......16.....+3...+0......+3
INT........12.....+1...+0......+1
WIS.......14.....+2...+0......+2
CHA ......10.....+0....+0......+0

Saves.....Total. Base. Power. Misc.
Damage...+3.....+3......+0.....+0..
Fort.........+3......+3......+0.....+0..
Ref..........+7.....+5...... +0.....+2..
Will..........+2.....+2......+0.....+0

Initiative: +5
Defense:21
Melee Attack: +10
Ranged Attack: +10

Powers (66 points)
Shapeshift +7 (Flaw: Limited People Only, Extra: Protection) Teleportation +7 (Stunt Extended Teleport, Stunt: Turnabout) Non-detection +7 (Extra: Invisibility) Strike +7 (Flaw: Extra of Shapeshift)
Telepathy +1 (Flaw: Communication Only), Clinging +5

Feats (9)
Lightning Reflexes, Surprise Strike, Darkvision, Immunity: Aging, Immunity: Exhaustian, Dodge, Penetrating Attack (Strike), Attack Finnesse

Skills
Acrobatics: +6, Balance: +7, Computers: +2, Drive: +7, Move Silently: +7, Sleight of Hand: +6

Weakness: Disturbing Appearance, Vulnerable: Fire

-Chrono
Chrono
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby J.T » Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:19 pm

Chrono,

Like the character, have you got a background, history for him writen, I'd like to have a read if you have.

Also have you had a look at my thead entitled "Rescue (a long post)" Neo was kind enough to create two teleportation powers for me, one and energy field the other a teleportation power usable only on others. If you haven't take a look as the latter may be of interest to you?!!!! :green:

Keep safe

J.T.
J.T
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Chrono » Sat Aug 02, 2003 6:51 am

Haven't taken a look at it yet, but I will make a point to :green: , as for his background history, I have the basic idea for, but I want to re-write it a little :wink:

-Chrono
Chrono
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby J.T » Sat Aug 02, 2003 7:10 am

Thats ok I'll wait :D

Have a look at that thread when you get a chance I'd like to know what you think of my teleporting character called Rescue.

regards,

J.T.
J.T
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Chrono » Sat Aug 02, 2003 7:32 am

Sure thing :D

-Chrono
Chrono
Dabbler
Dabbler

Teleporting out of stuff

Postby rstehwien » Sat Aug 02, 2003 2:42 pm

Personally I'd just let teleporters teleport out of things. After all, you don't make people with incoporeal or superstrength pay extra to get out of grapples or snares. Teleport is just another power that avoids those things.

The whole point of teleport is moving without crossing interveaning space; not much you can do to physically contain someone that can move without caring about physical barriers.

Maybe I'd require a power check to teleport out of something difficult like glue stuck to your entire body. Teleporters can take up to 50 lbs/rank with them but it is a choice. To me if they choose not to take handcuffs or the guy grappling them it is totally free-especially the person grappling them, after all that person would get a will save to not come if it was against their wishes, sounds like it is more of an effort to take things than not.

Don't feel sad for the super-strength people that can't keep the teleporter in their clutches, there are so many other things to grab and crush.
rstehwien
Cohort
Cohort

Re: Teleporting out of stuff

Postby slaughterj » Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:36 am

rstehwien wrote:Personally I'd just let teleporters teleport out of things. After all, you don't make people with incoporeal or superstrength pay extra to get out of grapples or snares. Teleport is just another power that avoids those things.

Yep, if a Snare is supposed to keep in Teleporters/Incorporeal types (e.g., Force Bubble), then it should buy an appropriate Extra.
slaughterj
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Postby Carnifex » Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:32 am

slaughterj wrote:
rstehwien wrote:Personally I'd just let teleporters teleport out of things. After all, you don't make people with incoporeal or superstrength pay extra to get out of grapples or snares. Teleport is just another power that avoids those things.

Yep, if a Snare is supposed to keep in Teleporters/Incorporeal types (e.g., Force Bubble), then it should buy an appropriate Extra.

(I thought it was a power stunt to effect incorporea?)
I could see an extra/PS for snare to effect incorporeal type. for teleport, I dunno. The GM has to rule if by default you can teleport away from a snare. If yes, then an extra/PS for snare should be allowed to hold them. If no, then an extra/PS for teleport to escape should be allowed.
Carnifex
Groupie
Groupie

Postby slaughterj » Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:59 am

Carnifex wrote:
slaughterj wrote:

(I thought it was a power stunt to effect incorporea?)
I could see an extra/PS for snare to effect incorporeal type. for teleport, I dunno. The GM has to rule if by default you can teleport away from a snare. If yes, then an extra/PS for snare should be allowed to hold them. If no, then an extra/PS for teleport to escape should be allowed.

Regarding affecting incorporeal, the Ghost Touch Extra is what you'd use, and I'd consider something similar to be necessary for Snares to affect Teleporters. Sure, the GM can default things one way or other other, but Snares come in a variety of forms, e.g. Handcuffs, Force Bubbles, Webbing, Encased in Ice, etc., and many wouldn't sensically "travel" with a Teleporter just like many wouldn't affect Incorporeal, so for both cases, I'd say you need to buy an extra for the Snare to do so. Alternatively, the GM could even leave it up for sfx.

A similar situation arises for whether the Snare is damaged by attacks on the ensnared character. What's the default, both are damaged? Or is the Snare damaged first? Or does the Snare get damaged at all? Maybe it's a matter of sfx? On the fly in a game I ran this weekend, one PC was ensnared, and another used his Alt-Form: Explosion, which I ruled affected the snare and the ensnared character (luckily, the character survived unscathed while the snare was destroyed). I'd say generally speaking that allowing attacks to pass through without harming the snare would be advantageous to the attacker, and might merit an extra, but then the example of Handcuffs comes up - should Handcuffs require such an extra? Perhaps Handcuffs come with an additional counterbalancing flaw of having limited snare effects?
slaughterj
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Postby Striker » Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:29 pm

slaughterj wrote: I'd say generally speaking that allowing attacks to pass through without harming the snare would be advantageous to the attacker, and might merit an extra, but then the example of Handcuffs comes up - should Handcuffs require such an extra? Perhaps Handcuffs come with an additional counterbalancing flaw of having limited snare effects?

Yeah, your legs are still free. That's a flaw in a snare. And you can't exactly just zap somone with a pair of handcuffs to snare them, you have to get within melee range, beat them enough so they don't resist the cuffing, and then get the cuffs on.
Uprise, now fall in line. Roll with the pack or get left behind –P.O.D.
Striker
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Harlequin Jones » Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:11 pm

Depends on the special effect. I would let Nightcrawler teleport out of handcuffs or snares, no problem.

On the other hand, I have a character whose entire power concept revolves around opening holes in space. Even were it to save my life, I would feel wrong teleporting out of handcuffs.

HJ
Harlequin Jones
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Carnifex » Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:27 am

It occured to me last night that snare has 2 effects.

It glues you to the ground (if you aren't flying or something)
and entangles you (-4 dex, -2 to hit)

So I think in general, you could teleport out of the "glued to the ground", but you'd still be entangled.
Carnifex
Groupie
Groupie

Next

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives