Obscure - smoke cloud

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Obscure - smoke cloud

Postby Carnifex » Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:30 pm

I don't have my book handy, but I wanted to iron this out.

Obscure is, as I recall, an Area power which is sustained, so if you are stunned it goes away.

If you wanted to model a smoke grenade, I assume an extra would make it Continious, but even those can be turned off.

Would permanent be a reasonable flaw? It's not on all the time, but once it's used, the character can't get rid of the smoke at will, it has to blow away or something.

I figured an extra to make it Continious, and a flaw to make it "persistant" (lasts until it naturally dissapates) would be reasonable, does that sound fair?
Carnifex
Groupie
Groupie

Postby slaughterj » Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:58 pm

Might be a good idea to fully stat something like that out, here's a start:

Obscure
- Flaw: Device (Grenade)
- Flaw: Uses?
- Extra: Uncontrolled? (something that makes the effect have some duration not controlled by the character's maintaining it, yet not permanent)
slaughterj
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Postby Anthony » Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:34 pm

Extra: Continuous
Flaw: lasts X rounds (cannot be turned off before then, cannot be maintained to last longer).
Anthony
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby mouthymerc » Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:55 pm

Use the Degrades flaw and it will disappear after x amount of rounds. Where x is the amount of ranks in the Obscure power.
The merc with the mouth! Zealot!

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein
mouthymerc
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby whydirt » Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:24 pm

I feel that the spirit of the Device flaw would allow for the smoke grenade to linger for an appropriate # of rounds. I'd even let the player choose the length ahead of time as long as it couldn't be changed during play.
whydirt
Cohort
Cohort

Postby slaughterj » Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:22 am

whydirt wrote:I feel that the spirit of the Device flaw would allow for the smoke grenade to linger for an appropriate # of rounds. I'd even let the player choose the length ahead of time as long as it couldn't be changed during play.

Well, that can be your balancer, the extra of lasting in an uncontrolled manner, but the flaw of only for a set time...
slaughterj
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Postby Luke de Sade » Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:57 am

Wouldn't someone with superbreath cancel the effects of the smoke bomb?
"Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."
Luke de Sade
Booster
Booster

Postby Carnifex » Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:44 am

Degrades sounds like what I was looking for. I assume with that flaw, it gets less every round, so the Area of the obscure would shrink?

I think a GM could fudge the degrades, make it last longer indoors, or with zero wind, make it degrade faster in a strong wind or if someone with Super breath comes algon.
Carnifex
Groupie
Groupie

Postby slaughterj » Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:41 am

Luke de Sade wrote:Wouldn't someone with superbreath cancel the effects of the smoke bomb?

Couple of options for handling that, either just let the person do it as sfx for their superbreath (but require an opposed power check), or possibly charge a Hero Point / Extra Effort to pull out the Extra of Neutralize at the ranks of Superbreath and use the Neutralize vs. Obscure.
slaughterj
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives