Unofficial Super-Hero Book?

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Moderator: Super Moderators

Unofficial Super-Hero Book?

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:43 am

1. Should I start with DC/Marvel/Image?
2. Should it be in order of power or importance?
3. Should I use optional rules? BAB/DB, 3:1 skills or just plain normal.
4. Should I include art next to the character or should I do full page (art) then writeup?
5. Favorite Artists to use in book?
6. Should I balance the Marvel/Image characters with DC characters?

Any input is appreciated.
BlackPanther
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Unofficial Super-Hero Book?

Postby DrObvious » Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:53 am

BlackPanther wrote:1. Should I start with DC/Marvel/Image?

Yeah, but you may want to add the big time indies, like Judge Dredd.

BlackPanther wrote:2. Should it be in order of power or importance?

I would say group by PL, index by name.

BlackPanther wrote:3. Should I use optional rules? BAB/DB, 3:1 skills or just plain normal.

I wouldn't. Those are ez enough to impliment yourself

BlackPanther wrote:4. Should I include art next to the character or should I do full page (art) then writeup?

Depends. If its a .pdf, go big.

BlackPanther wrote:5. Favorite Artists to use in book?

If you can, who ever 'defined' the char. Claremont for some Xmen, Ditko for Spidey, Dillion for Punisher, ect.

BlackPanther wrote:6. Should I balance the Marvel/Image characters with DC characters?

Well, I would go with the most important characters, not what company makes them.
I'm not mrobviousjosh or DocObvious, just some other guy. Obviously.

"In other words, Dr. Obvious and AaronUnicorn are quite correct" - Steve Kenson 8/7/03
DrObvious
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby AaronUnicorn » Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:15 am

Breaking it up by comics company will probably make it easiest to navigate through. So, a Marvel Section, a DC Section, an Image Section, and a "Other Independents" sections seems to be in order.

BlackPanther wrote:2. Should it be in order of power or importance?

I would say neither. Those are arbitrary, and could lend to confusion in terms of finding people. Alphabetical is nice and easy to navigate.

BlackPanther wrote:3. Should I use optional rules? BAB/DB, 3:1 skills or just plain normal.

Stick with straight book rules. Anyone who uses optional rules can implement them themselves, as they're probably already used to. Straight core book rules will make the game easiest to use by the greatest number of users.

BlackPanther wrote:4. Should I include art next to the character or should I do full page (art) then writeup?

I think full page art will make for far too big of a book. I'd do art next to the character.

BlackPanther wrote:5. Favorite Artists to use in book?

Mix and match. If you can find someone who just has an iconic, defining picture of the character, use it. This will often be the person who did the most work on the character, but not always. Try to avoid using the same artist over and over. Alex Ross's portraits are beautiful, but I'd get tired of them eventually.

BlackPanther wrote:6. Should I balance the Marvel/Image characters with DC characters?

Yes, although I find it odd that you phrased it that way and not Marvel/DC characters with Image. ;) Use some of the other independents too. If the goal is to gather as many of the write-ups as have been done on this board, then use 'em. It's not like there's a printing cost to be considered here. :)
AaronUnicorn
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Witchblade » Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:41 am

Actually, I'd much rather see a book of wholly original heroes/villains.

Alphabetical.

I'd say stick with the rules as written. Too many people do use them as such to be trying to introduce house rules.

4. Should I include art next to the character or should I do full page (art) then writeup?

As a general rule, the more color ink I have to use when printing (when we're talking about PDFs), the lower the score gets.

Well, if you're taking my suggestion to use original heroes, whoever you can find to draw them.

See above.

The fact is, I much prefer an original setting without a bunch of established heroes for my campaigns. I've even stripped Freedom City of it's native sons in favor of my own creations. A book of completely original heroes and villains would be far more useful to me than a book of Marvel/DC/Image writeups. Just my $.02.
John Grigsby
Staff reviewer for d20 Magazine Rack (Critic's Corner)
Witchblade
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby mdf2 » Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:29 pm

One minor point...

DrObvious, in your response to Black Panther regarding artists, you said
'whoever defined the character. Claremont for some X-Men'

The defining artist is fine but Chris Claremont defined the X-Men as a WRITER, he was never an artist. He had a whole bunch of talented guys working under him though -- Dave Cockrum, Paul Smith, Jim Lee -- which ultimately just makes some of those decisions harder.

Hope I didn't offend, but I thought that point should be corrected.
mdf2
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby DrObvious » Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:37 pm

Ha! Don't I feel silly? Your absolutly right. I'm going to go pretend like I know how to use google to check up on stuff now.
I'm not mrobviousjosh or DocObvious, just some other guy. Obviously.

"In other words, Dr. Obvious and AaronUnicorn are quite correct" - Steve Kenson 8/7/03
DrObvious
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Samurai007 » Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:38 pm

Any input is appreciated.

1) Original characters which retain a strong comic-book feel. Some may even pay homage to classic characters. If you do go with established characters, use Marvel and DC (very few, if any, Image, and no minor company characters)

2) Alphabetical by name

3) Despite being a big fan of alternate rules myself, I'd say stick with the official rules. There are many alternate rules, most of which conflict with each other. If you want to create a 2nd version of the file that includes some of the most popular alternate rules, you could, but start with the established rules 1st.

4) A simple 1/4 page full body picture of the character is best, IMHO.

5) Use fairly well known, classic artists if you are doing established characters. Otherwise, do the best you can with what you've got.

6) DC and Marvel are the big 2. Image is rather childish and their readership is much smaller now. Wildstorm, the best branch of Image by far, has moved to DC. I would just stick to DC and Marvel...
Samurai007
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Strict31 » Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:07 pm

mdf2 wrote: He had a whole bunch of talented guys working under him though -- Dave Cockrum, Paul Smith, Jim Lee

Definitely would add John Byrne to that list. Even though his style might not suit the tastes of modern eyes. And I'd put Marc Silvestri (sp) before Lee (merely as a note of personal comparison), but that's just me. Lee seemed to be a refinement of Silvestri's style. Silvestri helped crystalize the modern look of the X-Men, but his work wasn't always as tight as Lee's.Oohh! And John Romita Jr., too!!

But I digress from the point of the thread...

Strictly Speaking
"It was just that he was all alone, always by himself; never anyone to share the game. A man who lived in dreams. That's who he was."

Are you living in the real world?
Strict31
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby AaronUnicorn » Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:27 am

Just a quick FYI. A couple of people have suggested mainly original characters for this book. The point of this unofficial book is that BlackPanther is collecting the "Unofficial" write-ups of established characters that various members of this board have posted.

I too would normally prefer a book of all original characters, but that's not what BP is doing. :) He's offered the valuable service of collecting the write-ups scattered around the board, so his question of "Mainly Marvel/DC/Image?" starts with that parameter in mind.
AaronUnicorn
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:35 am

Progress is about 25%, I have a few questions.
1. Superman's Super-Speed: Should it be Running (With Super-Running), or Super-Speed (Flaw: Hero Point).
2. Would you prefer to see the point cost on the bottom of the character writeup.
BlackPanther
Bystander
Bystander

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:37 am

Could anyone point to writeups by mouthymerc and any other writeups of Marvel/DC/Image characters. If you've seen writeups anywhere else on the net, please post thanks.
BlackPanther
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Nightlynx » Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:23 am

Panther...
The best way to go about finding stuff on the boards would be to start with the search fuction! It really is a handy lil tool! As the Merc has been a very busy fellow in the past :D Kudos to you Merc! His stuff is honestly all over the boards!

peace and good gaming

Nightlynx
Something unprecedented is just being born, and I want to see it. But it is the one thing I break even by tounching it. Randomness. - GOD
Nightlynx
Henchman
Henchman

Netbook of "Unofficial" Superheroes for M&M

Postby Whiteknight » Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:18 am

I am very interested in seeing the final product since I am still getting the hang of the game and use said writeups for my education and edification of the rules and its applications. Can I ask where the final product will be available for download? One of the M&M Yahoo Groups or a private site?
This will save me a lot of time searching for these writeups and printin g them out!

Frank
ftroise@si.rr.com
Whiteknight
Bystander
Bystander

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:18 am

It will be on the Yahoo Group page:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MNMWriteups/
The opening page is up now. Take a look.
BlackPanther
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Mucknuggle » Sat Aug 02, 2003 6:09 am

1. Should I start with DC/Marvel/Image?

Marvel

Alphabetical

Normal rules and I would also like to see the 3:1 skills rule version as it is a very common house rule in the community on this board.

Depends on the picture, but I would like to see it somewhat resemble the writeups in Crooks.

I prefer the modern stuff.

No, just write them up as you see them in terms of power.
Mucknuggle
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Kenpo Wolf » Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:23 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Could anyone point to writeups by mouthymerc and any other writeups of Marvel/DC/Image characters. If you've seen writeups anywhere else on the net, please post thanks.

Valdier has some great writeups on his site. I love how he did Captain America, Thor and the Scarlet Witch
Kenpo Wolf
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives