Fantasy MnM supplement - original stuff or DnD conversion?

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Fantasy MnM supplement - original stuff or DnD conversion?

Postby whydirt » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:01 pm

I'm considering putting together an MnM Superlink product that would work as a supplement to run fantasy games using the MnM rules. Before I get too deep into it, I'd like to know what kinds of things would be useful in such a product. My main concern is whether there is a stronger desire for a conversion of DnD races and classes over more original race ideas and hero archtypes.

I'm also willing to hear any other suggestions of what you might like to see in such a product.

Thanks,
Jonathan
whydirt
Cohort
Cohort

Re: Fantasy MnM supplement - original stuff or DnD conversio

Postby Neo » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:25 pm

whydirt wrote:I'm considering putting together an MnM Superlink product that would work as a supplement to run fantasy games using the MnM rules. Before I get too deep into it, I'd like to know what kinds of things would be useful in such a product. My main concern is whether there is a stronger desire for a conversion of DnD races and classes over more original race ideas and hero archtypes.

I'm also willing to hear any other suggestions of what you might like to see in such a product.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Talislanta as MnM would be strange enough, while keeping the quintessential D&D vibe.. try that :)

It also has heaps of types of magic and varied races so there would be plenty of opportunities to implement the powers
Mark "Neo" Howe

"Et Semel Emissum Volat Irevocabile Verbum"
http://www.neo-innovation.com/index.html
Neo
Henchman
Henchman

Postby whydirt » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:33 pm

Neo wrote:Talislanta as MnM would be strange enough, while keeping the quintessential D&D vibe.. try that :)

It also has heaps of types of magic and varied races so there would be plenty of opportunities to implement the powers

Okay, just ship me a copy of Talislanta and I'll get right on it. :)
whydirt
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Neo » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:46 pm

whydirt wrote:
Neo wrote:Talislanta as MnM would be strange enough, while keeping the quintessential D&D vibe.. try that :)

Okay, just ship me a copy of Talislanta and I'll get right on it. :)

heh, you can buy it here

http://www.talislanta.com/talislanta/index.html
Mark "Neo" Howe

"Et Semel Emissum Volat Irevocabile Verbum"
http://www.neo-innovation.com/index.html
Neo
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Nightlynx » Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:15 pm

whydirt wrote:I'm considering putting together an MnM Superlink product that would work as a supplement to run fantasy games using the MnM rules. Before I get too deep into it, I'd like to know what kinds of things would be useful in such a product. My main concern is whether there is a stronger desire for a conversion of DnD races and classes over more original race ideas and hero archtypes.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Personally I think you would be better off doing an original setting - peppered with Fantasy races (elve, dwarves, goblins, etc) and fimilar D&D type classes - or perhaps you could convert the Green Ronin Freeport setting for M&M.....Just an idea!

peace and good gaming
Nightlynx
Something unprecedented is just being born, and I want to see it. But it is the one thing I break even by tounching it. Randomness. - GOD
Nightlynx
Henchman
Henchman

Postby whydirt » Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:44 pm

I probably won't add much specific setting information, since A) it's probably the hardest part for me to write and B) I'm trying to make this product more of a toolbox that can be used for existing settings.
whydirt
Cohort
Cohort

Postby mgg » Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:01 am

I always favor fantasy worlds that minimize the Tolkeinisms -- no dwarves, elves, or orcs. In fact, no non-human intelligent races suits me fine.

I'd prefer something that takes advantages of the strengths of MnM. Swashbuckling Swords and Sorcery might be fun, or something built with a distinct Fairy Tale feel.
mgg
Devotee
Devotee

Postby DrObvious » Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:13 am

I would make it a straight up tool box, no campain info needed. There really is a glut of that kind of stuff, and all I would personally want is the system.
I'm not mrobviousjosh or DocObvious, just some other guy. Obviously.

"In other words, Dr. Obvious and AaronUnicorn are quite correct" - Steve Kenson 8/7/03
DrObvious
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby wulf » Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:33 am

I'd also go for the toolbox approach, the primary use of it would, I imagine, be in playing D&D scenarios with M&M rules.

It would also be the perfect place for that D&D-conversion bestiary!

Wulf
wulf
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby The Fifth Wanderer » Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:56 am

I have to chime in for the toolbox approach too. I can build my own world, why should I pay for yours? (No offense.) However, examples of how to use the tools are always welcome.
Rules of Combat #15: Teamwork is essential. It gives them someone else to shoot at.
The Fifth Wanderer
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby whydirt » Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:04 am

Why should I be offended? I'm not even the one who mentioned a setting to begin with.
whydirt
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Ryan_Singer » Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:46 pm

I too would be in favor of a toolbox that does nothing but creatively explain how to implement these rules in a fantasy setting. some big issue's to tackle are rules for magic item creation, rules for acquiring spellcasting ability, and of course, examples of NPC's and monsters. I would also NOT include classes, as one of the benefits of the MnM ruleset is point based design, classes ruin that.
Ryan_Singer
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Striker » Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:13 pm

Ryan_Singer wrote:I too would be in favor of a toolbox that does nothing but creatively explain how to implement these rules in a fantasy setting. some big issue's to tackle are rules for magic item creation, rules for acquiring spellcasting ability, and of course, examples of NPC's and monsters. I would also NOT include classes, as one of the benefits of the MnM ruleset is point based design, classes ruin that.

Rather than classes, I would throw in archtypes, like in the MnM main book. Excelent starting points for players to build thier own creations from. Also the inclusion of race packages/ideas/archtypes would be cool too. And I mean original stuff, interesting new species and critters to both play and beat the players with. :green:

Also, rules on how to play a character who does not have the standard "humanoid" base form. I once played a blink dog in a D&D game, and found it rather fun. I would like to see something about non-humanoid PCs and how to make them.

Just my 2 sp, of course. :D
Uprise, now fall in line. Roll with the pack or get left behind –P.O.D.
Striker
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Ryan_Singer » Sat Aug 02, 2003 8:00 am

Archetypes would be kind of cool, as long as it is stressed to players that unlike DnD and it's ilk, here you can freely mix and match.-Ryan
Ryan_Singer
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby whydirt » Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:15 am

Ryan_Singer wrote:Archetypes would be kind of cool, as long as it is stressed to players that unlike DnD and it's ilk, here you can freely mix and match.-Ryan
My guess is that anyone getting my supplement will already be familiar with MnM to a degree and understand that it allows for open character creation. Of course, it might not hurt to point it out again. ;)
whydirt
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Ryan_Singer » Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:55 am

I fully plan on using the MnM ruleset in a fantasy setting to completely steal people away from DnD, so most of the people I will be playing with will not have experience with MnM, as they are mostly just fantasy gamers.-Ryan
Ryan_Singer
Dabbler
Dabbler

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives