Building a Green Lantern

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Moderator: Super Moderators

Building a Green Lantern

Postby The Cyboid » Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:09 am

I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on how to build a Green Lantern in the M&M system - a hero who can create contructs with variable abilitiies.
The Cyboid
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Inazuma » Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:27 am

Green Lantern would have Create Object, Telekinesis, Energy Blast, Flight and Force Field, all worked together with the device flaw. That's off the top of my head.
~Inazuma
"This is a superhero game! I demand to be given rewards for causing massive property damage!"
Inazuma
Devotee
Devotee

Postby DocObvious » Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:34 am

I'm not so sure the device flaw would really be applicable as the device is extremely difficult to take away from him and no one else can use the device even if they do manage to take it.
"And stay out of the Woolworth!"
DocObvious
Dabbler
Dabbler

Green Lantern

Postby Aftermath » Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:57 am

GL should also have some Iron Will and an Amazing Will Save with possibly a few points thrown into Super Wisdom as well.

:green:
Aftermath
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Daywalker » Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:16 am

Why not just give him cosmic power with the applicable extras?
Daywalker
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Nightlynx » Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:17 am

DocObvious wrote:I'm not so sure the device flaw would really be applicable as the device is extremely difficult to take away from him and no one else can use the device even if they do manage to take it.

Firstly i seem to recall this topic being done on another thread (I'd give it a search if I was the interested party) :idea: :D :idea:

:idea: And as far as removing the ring it was an interesting plot device in the silver age of GL, the new GL of corse has the whole gentic lock on his ring and such as well as doing away with the yellow weakness - but if someone where building the Justice League Lantern - I am not sure if that would be the case.

peace and good gaming
Nightlynx
Something unprecedented is just being born, and I want to see it. But it is the one thing I break even by tounching it. Randomness. - GOD
Nightlynx
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Daywalker » Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:27 am

Well, what about the recharging aspect of the ring? It has to be recharged on a regular basis so if the Lantern was kept from the source he would be at a disadvantage.
Daywalker
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Strand0 » Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:43 am

S. Kensen wrote:Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 12:49 pm Post subject:

Power Ring [Light Control, Extras: Energy Shapes (Shapeable), Flight, Force Field (Affects Others, Area), Immunity, Telekinesis; Power Stunts: Energy Blast, Space Flight, Super Flight; Flaws: Device, Requires Recharging Every 24 Hours (add Restricted: Doesn't Work On Things Colored Yellow for the Silver Age GL and Doesn't Work On Wood for the Golden Age GL); Cost: 8 pp/rank]

That's a pretty decent model GL's ring. Its various other funky powers can be handled with extra effort and Hero Points. A variable effect may be in order if you agree that the ring is solely limited by the wielder's willpower and imagination (for +1 pp/rank). For power rank, probably +20 for the modern and Silver Age GL (although Hal may have started out between +12 and +15 or so), as low as +12 for the Golden Age GL (although he's at least +18 these days).
Strand0
Earth's Mightiest
Earth's Mightiest

Postby Inazuma » Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:59 pm

DocObvious wrote:I'm not so sure the device flaw would really be applicable as the device is extremely difficult to take away from him and no one else can use the device even if they do manage to take it.

How hard the ring is to remove and whether anyone else can use it is not the point. Powered armor is hard to remove, too, but it is still a device. The point is that all his powers are invested in the ring, and if he loses it, there go all his powers.
~Inazuma
"This is a superhero game! I demand to be given rewards for causing massive property damage!"
Inazuma
Devotee
Devotee

Postby DocObvious » Sun Jul 27, 2003 4:52 pm

Inazuma wrote:

How hard the ring is to remove and whether anyone else can use it is not the point. Powered armor is hard to remove, too, but it is still a device. The point is that all his powers are invested in the ring, and if he loses it, there go all his powers.

Even though it's been many years since I've played Champions, I gues I still have that whole, "obvious, inaccessible" level of thinking when it comes to devices. I keep forgetting that M&M is much easier to work with than that. :)
"And stay out of the Woolworth!"
DocObvious
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby MagusRogue » Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:07 pm

i dunno, i just always felt Cosmic Power with the Device and Limited (must be recharged every 24 hours) flaws, and appropriete extras (create object, other people extra on force field, so on) workjs.
Aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnd...... this rant has finished.
MagusRogue
Archetype
Archetype

Postby horned god » Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:02 pm

Good Point, since I made quasar marvels' version of a green lantern like hero ie he can throw around yellow force fields which performs the same basic function as the GL ring, and he has cosmic power without the device flaw as no one will go up to him and take his bands away. If they did or could then yes it deserves the flaw but nothing short of cosmic power, no scratch that not even cosmic power can remove those bands. Unless you kill him and that means fighting him full force. Why I would agree not to grant the device flaw to GL's ring but the ring unlike the quantum bands has a shelf life ie needs repowering so it would have that as a flaw and the whole 'cant effect yellow energy' which for example quasars energy is, its yellow imagine that.

Cosmic Power works fine, just flaw it with no Transmutation, and add like four extras and five stunts (on to the existing powers like force field) with stuff like Grapple and Telekinesis thus you can pick up stuff with your force field by flawing with Restricted-With Force Field Only. Therefore you can't use TK normally, only if you are crafting force fields but heck they can lift up to like 50 tons so its the same thing, also you should have Shapeable and stuff like that.

At cosmic power 10, with a handful of extras and stunts and some feats you'll end up at or around PL 15.
horned god
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Bailywolf » Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:34 am

Sorcery makes a good model for the Ring if you exchange the ritual flaw of sorcery (incantations & gestures) for Device.
Bailywolf
Archetype
Archetype

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives