Secondary Effects Clarification Needed Please

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Moderator: Super Moderators

Secondary Effects Clarification Needed Please

Postby archangel » Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:32 pm

OK people I need someone (hopefully even a designer) and tell me if I got this right.

Example: Energy control Light...you already have a attack effect built in...DAZZLE...now if I also take Energy Blast and/or Energy Field....which are both attack effects also..... are they both extras or are they Power Stunts ...and why?

Thanks!
archangel
Bystander
Bystander

Postby palehorse » Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:49 pm

Power Stunts can't be used at the same time as the primary effect.

(So, if you buy an Energy Blast as a stunt of Energy Control-Light, any effects you're creating with the Energy Control will shut off when you fire the EB and will have to be restarted next round.)

Extras don't have this limitation. That's why they're so much more expensive!

So the question isn't really 'Are these Power Stunts or Extras?' so much as 'Do I want to buy them as Power Stunts as Extras?'. Its reall up to you; some powers are recommended as Stunts simply because the drawbacks of having to restart some of the powers (like Energy Control - Light) are pretty minimal, so you're better off saving yourself the points and buying it as a stunt.

The caveat here is (per Steve) "the total cost of a power being added as a power stunt must be equal to or less than the cost of the base power (including its various extras but not including flaws). This may mean that the power stunt has a different rank than the base power (one of the reasons that this is more of an advanced option, since it involves more math)."

In this case, Energy Control and Energy Blast are both 2pp/level powers, so you can have EB at the same level as EC as a stunt, no problem. If you want to add an Extra onto the EB, you'll either have to Flaw it to keep the cost down, or buy it at a reduced rank.
Butch Curry
Staff Reviewer, GamingReport.com
palehorse
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby mgg » Sat Jul 26, 2003 9:43 pm

I think this power is an exception, particularly to keep it balanced with other forms of energy control. Energy control light is a control effect, not an attack effect. The dazzle is just a lucky cheap break, and hasn't been paid for in full, so the power doesn't allow you to buy attack stunts.
mgg
Devotee
Devotee

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives