Psionic "Cloaking"

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

Psionic "Cloaking"

Postby Ralex » Sat Jul 26, 2003 11:17 am

Hi All,

One of my friends had a power concept for a character a while back, that I'm finding kind of tricky to stat out.

Basically, the character (a telepath) has a mental "Cloaking Shield", that makes him hard to detect by other characters with mental powers. In effect, they have difficulty sensing a mental presence, or any mind at all for that matter, unless he drops the shield (such as to make a mental attack, or use his telepathy, which was going to be one of the flaws).

I've considered using Invisibilty (Psionic detection only) to simulate this, but it doesn't make sense to have his opponents guessing where he is, since he's standing right there, it's just his mind they can't 'see'. The 50% chance to miss makes more sense, though...

On the other hand, maybe I could just use Mental Defense (Flaw: Detection effects only), though I'm not certain how that would work exactly, either...

Of course, I could try to come up with a new power altogether to get this effect...

Hoping you guys, with your creative minds, might have a suggestion.
Ralex
Bystander
Bystander

Sounds like Non-detection

Postby haferka » Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:07 pm

Sounds like the Non-detection power in "Power Corrupts"

Cost 2
Add Power Rank to DC to notice you.

You could just add a Flaw: Limited - Psionic which would bring the cost down to 1pp.

This would be a realy cool power if you applied it on a person with armor and pretended to be a construct. That way you could trick people into never attacking you with mental attacks. You could even take "Invisible" as an extra, so your mind effectivly gains the benifits of invisibility. They also have an extra which does damage to anyone that fails to successfully detect you.
haferka
Bystander
Bystander

Postby mgg » Sat Jul 26, 2003 9:46 pm

I don't exactly get what this power is supposed to do. There aren't any particular psionic detection powers I can think of, other than the ability to detect psionic powers in action. ESP? Is the character supposed to be physically invisible to ESP?
Maybe you could clarify how this is supposed to work, and against what powers and feats?
mgg
Devotee
Devotee

Postby Inazuma » Sat Jul 26, 2003 9:48 pm

mgg wrote:I don't exactly get what this power is supposed to do. There aren't any particular psionic detection powers I can think of, other than the ability to detect psionic powers in action. ESP? Is the character supposed to be physically invisible to ESP?
Maybe you could clarify how this is supposed to work, and against what powers and feats?

Well, there's the Psychic Awareness super-feat, though that only detects the use of psionic powers. Perhaps Detect (minds) is a good example.
~Inazuma
"This is a superhero game! I demand to be given rewards for causing massive property damage!"
Inazuma
Devotee
Devotee

Re: Psionic "Cloaking"

Postby Anthony » Sat Jul 26, 2003 9:50 pm

Ralex wrote:Basically, the character (a telepath) has a mental "Cloaking Shield", that makes him hard to detect by other characters with mental powers. In effect, they have difficulty sensing a mental presence, or any mind at all for that matter, unless he drops the shield (such as to make a mental attack, or use his telepathy, which was going to be one of the flaws).

Well, what's the psionic detection power? If it's telepathy, well, Mental Protection should do the trick. Otherwise, buy invisibility to whatever detect power is being used.
Anthony
Aficionado
Aficionado

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives