1st M&M Community Superlink product: HERO HOOKS

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

1st M&M Community Superlink product: HERO HOOKS

Postby Demongg » Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:02 am

HERO HOOKS
is now accepting submissions!!
Be the first on your block to have your very own HERO HOOK published!
Please send all submissions privately in plain EMAIL text to:
HERO HOOK CENTRAL @ kevperrine@yahoo.com

For detailed information and full writer guidelines, stop by
http://mywpages.comcast.net/kperrine/He ... _HOOKS.htm

HERO HOOKS is the FIRST fully interactive, co-created M&M community SuperLink Project!!
And YOU can be part of it in one quick creative submission!!! :-)

"Great Neptune!!" you say,
"HOW CAN I become a Hero Hook creator??!!!"

Stand Straight True Believers!
Simply read the HERO HOOK Writer's Guidelines, follow the instructions and start writing. Writer Creators (YOU) will retain full copywrite to their work. By submitting your work you allow it's exclusive inclusion in upcoming HERO HOOK editions.
You may submit as many HERO HOOKS as you like!!
Continued editions will rely on your submissions!

and now the "official pitch"....

“HERO HOOKS: A Comic Book Story Toolkit”
Mini-Adventure Seeds for use with Mutants & Masterminds and other super heroic games. UNDER GREEN RONIN’S M&M SUPERLINK

HERO HOOKS Central would like to announce that it’s received the thumbs-up from Green Ronin to release PDF editions under the guidelines of the M&M Superlink license.

HERO HOOKS is a collection of one-shot comic scenarios, plots, and possibilities intended to get the Game Master's creative gears going – a starting point for a one-shot adventure or possibly an entire campaign. Each of these HOOKS are typically less than a page long and begin with an evocative paragraph followed by three possible explanations for Game Masters to choose and/or build from. These seeds do not contain game statistics and detailed setting informations – that can be best left to individual GMs. The HOOKS and Explanations range from full-blown super villainous threats to the purely human challenges, allowing GMs to tailor the ideas easily dropping into any campaign..
An assortment of crafty comic book scenarios by (LISTING ALL CONTRIBUTING AUTHOR NAMES).

“HERO HOOKS: A Comic Book Story Toolkit … Issue #1” will be a collection of approximately 75-100 Hero Hooks and is tentatively scheduled for release in late August. Collections are dependant on the community of writers’ submissions, that means YOU!
We CURRENTLY have over 30 submissions with only minor word of mouth.
The PDF will retail for a tiny $2-5. (we are currently determining full production costs, if we wish to have an original color cover, etc… (suggestions are welcome)

Hero Hook Central is created and compiled by a 5 guys gaming group looking to add to their favorite hobby game…
No corporate name, no Company Title just yet…

Thank You.

Please send all submissions privately in plain EMAIL text to:
HERO HOOK CENTRAL @ kevperrine@yahoo.com

For more information and full writer guidelines, stop by
http://mywpages.comcast.net/kperrine/He ... _HOOKS.htm
Last edited by Demongg on Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Demongg
Henchman
Henchman

Postby MagusRogue » Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:13 am

Interesting..................

on a side note, Power Corrupts is the first superlink book, IIRC
Aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnd...... this rant has finished.
MagusRogue
Archetype
Archetype

Postby Demongg » Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:25 am

MagusRogue wrote:Interesting..................

on a side note, Power Corrupts is the first superlink book, IIRC

Completely!!

Hero Hooks, however is the 1st M&M Community Co-Created SuperLink Project...

Our creative minds will make up this collection... I will have my own Hero Hooks writen, but others may create many more. :-)

apologies if my words were confusing, no disrespect to Power Corrupts.
-kevin-
Demongg
Henchman
Henchman

Postby The BLur » Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:35 am

The PDF will retail for a tiny $2-5.

heh i jsut found this funny, not often people refer to money as tiny. unless of course you mean we can use monopoly money.
The BLur
Booster
Booster

Postby Demongg » Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:59 am

The BLur wrote:
The PDF will retail for a tiny $2-5.

heh i jsut found this funny, not often people refer to money as tiny. unless of course you mean we can use monopoly money.

On Friday, July 25, 2003, at 07:29 AM, Sunhound wrote:
Your writer's guidelines do not mention compensation. Is this an oversight or are authors volunteering their work?

Thanks for your time,
Gabriel A. Falcon

Writers ARE volunteering their work.

This is completely a hobby group creating a very usable resource, any funds from selling the PDF would be for recouping costs only, hence our late decision to purchase cover art and such.

-kevin-
Demongg
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Superfreak » Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:06 pm

Your guideline page appears to be down; can you copy and paste the info here?
SuperFreakingout
Superfreak
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Demongg » Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:26 pm

Superfreak wrote:Your guideline page appears to be down; can you copy and paste the info here?

Apologies...
There was an extra character on the link - I've editted it (above) now, it should work.

but here are the basic guidelines:
Check the page for other Writer Tips and Two examples! :-)
thanks
-kev-

Rules of the HOOK Game
Writing Guidelines & Helpful Suggestions.

All HERO HOOKS  follow these five Golden Rules.
•          Length: HOOKS are short. Complicated plots of world domination are not the realm of HERO HOOKS - concise ideas and flashes of inspiration. Most HOOKS are 3-4 paragraphs with three one paragraph possibilities for the cause,  usually fitting on a single page.
•          Statistics: HOOKS do not have time or space for statistics. Any mention of exact numbers, power levels and ranks will be mercilessly purged. Game Masters are usually pretty crafty - they can invent statistics and details as they need them.  Suggestions of super powers or types of villains are the most detail needed.
•          Possibilities: HOOKS have three endings or possibilities. Not two, not four. Three. The possibilities themselves don't usually describe different variations.  Possibilities that just say "As option 2, but this time . . ." are not regarded favourably. Think. Be original!
•          Pretty Layout: Fancy layouts specific to your HERO HOOKS are not needed,  all HOOKS’s will be laid out in HERO HOOKS fashion.  So whatever you send, send it in good old vanilla ascii text. (Everything has to be in ascii for the html documents anyway.)
•          Coherent: This one should be obvious. If I can't understand what's going on or if there are vast yawning chasms in your logic, then it won't get much further than my e-mail in-box.

So What Makes A Good HERO HOOKS - 
"Good" is a relative term - you may have other preferences, but these are my suggestions.
Bad Points.
•            Obscure Settings: If you are going to write a HOOK, why limit its usefulness by setting it somewhere obscure? A HERO HOOK that can be applied anywhere, to anyone, (with alternative ideas) is much more interesting than one set specifically in 1838 London or 2056 Mars. HOOKS can (and should) have interesting ideas and settings but try to remain less specific.  Atlantis might be destroyed in my comic universe, but alternatives (Atlantis, Mu, Lemuria, Hawaii)  can fit in nicely.
•          Newspaper Articles: Newspaper articles tend not to make good HOOKS.
•            Game Master Advice: Not only can GMs invent statistics, they know how to best use HOOKS.  So if your HOOKS features a strange Egyptian relic, you don't need to explain that the investigators stumble across the relic through a friend, in a will, at an auction, in the news, or whatever. Just describe your HOOKS and let the GM decide how best to fit it into his or her game.  You need not waste space saying "The heroes read about this in the paper/are told about it by a friend."  Concentrate on the HOOKS instead.
•          Grammar: Coherency is one thing, grammar is another. I don't have time to correct grammar and punctuation. I may correct obvious flaws, but you aren't doing yourself any favours if you don't check your grammar.
•          Adventures: Converting adventures into a HOOK doesn't really work - there isn't enough room for heavy plotting. However if you read nearly any comic on the stand you can probably slice off the basic idea to form your own HERO HOOK just fine.
Good Points.
•          In Your Face: Things that happen directly to the investigators are good.  They're live, active and power packed. HERO HOOKS are well suited to this sort of slam-bang instant action and personal misdoings.
•          Things: I find that limiting yourself to a thing (place, person, event, object and so on) produces an interesting HOOKS. These also fit into an existing game easier than situations or adventures.
•          Can I use it anywhere? Here's an acid test that help a HERO HOOK to pass the test - can I use it straight away, in the game I'm currently running?  (I might not want to, but can I?)  If it will fit into multiple tones of Super Heroes and it still passes the test, that's even better!
•          Possibilities: Don't think of the multiple possibilities as a burden, consider them an opportunity. Good HOOKS have diverse possibilities, unrelated to each other.
Demongg
Henchman
Henchman

BONUS Example!!

Postby Demongg » Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:30 pm

Superfreak wrote:Your guideline page appears to be down; can you copy and paste the info here?

Here's a SPECIAL never before seen bonus Example for the M&M Boards!
enjoy:

CRIME ALLEY [by Kevin Perrine]
Every town has one: that dark alley nobody thinks to enter. Tucked away on an unused route, no one thinks twice about the alley. Those finding themselves in the alley hurry to leave, for different reasons even if they don't realize it - the temperature drops, dizziness strikes, there is rumbling in the shadows. And so they leave.
During the day, the sun is low in the alley - always at just the right level to shine blindingly between the cracks of buildings. At night, the moon casts long dark shadows from the building spires above, the large rusty dumpsters, and the rickety old fire escapes.
The alley does not welcome visitors and hides from heroes in the plain sight of obscurity

EXPLANATIONS:
• The alley is home to an urban legend waiting to pounce on the next passerby. The legend may be animal, intelligent or a minion of a greater menace; a Gator-Man, Jersey Devil, Sasquatch, or even just a lost Hellspawn.
• The alley is a secret entrance to an organization (villainous, vigilantee, governmental) that hides its existance with tricks and/or technology to keep the Headquarters safe.
• The alley is alive!! In a city of villains and heroes the alley itself has found sentience and will protect itself from further decay. It has learned to control vagrants and other passers by. It may even be looking to expand it's influence...

-kev-
Demongg
Henchman
Henchman

Postby mrobviousjosh » Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:39 pm

This sounds really cool. I'd like to get some free time together so I can contribute. That Creative Writing Major of mine should come in good use. :)
If you send someone to save the world, you better make sure they like it the way it is.
-Triple X-
mrobviousjosh
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby lovecraft » Sat Jul 26, 2003 5:08 am

say i was to enter and you used my idea, do i get a free copy of the book?
lovecraft
Bystander
Bystander

Postby mrobviousjosh » Sat Jul 26, 2003 8:09 pm

lovecraft wrote:say i was to enter and you used my idea, do i get a free copy of the book?

I wouldn't think so unless you wrote like 20% of it or something. Sorry Lovecraft.
If you send someone to save the world, you better make sure they like it the way it is.
-Triple X-
mrobviousjosh
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby palehorse » Sat Jul 26, 2003 8:15 pm

Since we're engaging in idle speculation here... :)

Since its a PDF and there's no actual cost to the 'publisher' to give out copies to contributors, I wouldn't see why not.

Again, just idle speculation on my part.. we'll have to await Demongg's official response, naturally.
Butch Curry
Staff Reviewer, GamingReport.com
palehorse
Aficionado
Aficionado

Postby Demongg » Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:14 pm

palehorse wrote:Since we're engaging in idle speculation here... :)

Since its a PDF and there's no actual cost to the 'publisher' to give out copies to contributors, I wouldn't see why not.

Again, just idle speculation on my part.. we'll have to await Demongg's official response, naturally.

You are correct, there will be no cost to the publisher. However, any costs for our time to put the book together plus costs for cover and/or interior art.

My first thought was to say that if you write 20 or more Hooks for submission you WILL get the current edition of Hero Hooks.
Rethinking - I'll bring that down as low as 5.

So, YES.... If you contribute 5 or more Hero Hooks following the guidelines you will be listed to receive a FREE copy of the entire collection.

Create 5 Hooks and get back 50-100 for the compilation! That sounds like a great deal to me...

Try writing ONE and see how easy it is. :-)

thoughts anyone?
-kevin-
Demongg
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Demongg » Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:17 pm

palehorse wrote:Since we're engaging in idle speculation here... :)

http://mywpages.comcast.net/kperrine/He ... pectacular
Demongg
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Sunhound » Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:09 am

On Friday, July 25, 2003, at 07:29 AM, Sunhound wrote:
Your writer's guidelines do not mention compensation. Is this an oversight or are authors volunteering their work?

Thanks for your time,
Gabriel A. Falcon

Writers ARE volunteering their work.

This is completely a hobby group creating a very usable resource, any funds from selling the PDF would be for recouping costs only, hence our late decision to purchase cover art and such.

-kevin-

I sent you an email, Demongg. Emails are signed. Here I post as Sunhound. Please keep that in mind when you quote future inquiries regarding your new enterprise.
Sunhound
Bystander
Bystander

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives