First Session!

This board is locked, but is preserved here as an archive of all your hard work posting. Please register on the new M&M boards, over at http://atomicthinktank.com/

First Session!

Postby bcr19374 » Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:07 pm

Had my first session running the game tonight. I'm playing online using a program called OpenRPG so I wanted to get used to that and fool around with the M&M rules so I just made this a practice session. I pitted the PCs against Hyena and Cyclone from the book. They defeated both soundly, Hyena due to a probably unbalanced power and Cyclone due to awful rolling on his part.

It was a lot of fun but I found that I had to wing a lot of things. The PCs got a rude surprise when they found Cyclone could blast them and then fly 50' while they both had 30' move with one of the two being melee only. The other has a throwing power and said he wanted to target Cyclone's jet boots to disable them. I ruled he had a -4 to hit for a called shot. He just made the hit and since Cyclone failed his damage save I rules the jet boot was made inoperable but he didn't take a hit or other damage.

A character with Blending and a melee attack wanted to do some kind of sneak attack. I don't remember rules for this so I ruled he could get a +2 bonus to his attack roll. I'm thinking I might make a sneak attack feat or maybe I'll just handle unspotted hidden characters like they are invisible.

I found that my Teleport Other extra Teleport into Solid might be overpowered. I used the rule from Incorporeal that says "The target suffers lethal damage equal to the object’s hardness and saves against this damage using only his Constitution bonus. If the target is not disabled, he is ejected immediately into the nearest open space. If you are disabled, you are trapped in the object and dying." I wasn't sure if the lethal damage DC was the actual hardness, in this case 8 for concrete, or like a regular damage save, 15 + 8 = 23. It might work decently if it's the former but I'm thinking that I might treat it as a grapple with a bonus of the objects hardness with no chance of damage. The target needs to make a str check to get out based on the hardness.

I also need to get a better handle on one of my PC's powers; he wants something like Bullseye where he can grab any object and hit someone with deadly accuracy. The rules for throwing improvised weapons seem to indicate he can do strength damage with a range increment of 40' but the Throwing Mastery feat says he can only get a range increment of 10' and do dex damage.

Anyways, I definitely had a good time. If anyone is really interested, you can see the log here:

http://www.herassmygod.org/bcr19374/mnm ... iceLog.txt
bcr19374
Bystander
Bystander

Re: First Session!

Postby mouthymerc » Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:24 pm

bcr19374 wrote:A character with Blending and a melee attack wanted to do some kind of sneak attack. I don't remember rules for this so I ruled he could get a +2 bonus to his attack roll. I'm thinking I might make a sneak attack feat or maybe I'll just handle unspotted hidden characters like they are invisible.

Check out the Surprise Strike feat.
The merc with the mouth! Zealot!

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein
mouthymerc
Super Poster
Super Poster

Blending. Invisibility, etc..

Postby haferka » Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:40 pm

Blending & similar powers should be treated as Invisibility, You get a spot check to see them, and if you fail, they are effectivly invisible to you.
haferka
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Sketchpad » Fri Jul 25, 2003 4:11 am

As far as sneak attacks go ... I would have the opponent make a spot check (or search if they're actively looking for something) and, if unnoticed, allow the character to gain the initiative.
And also check out what Mouthy Merc said ;)
"Then what would he do? Be Bruce Wayne? He doesn't even like Bruce Wayne ..."
- Nightwing

Hellfyre Studios
Sketchpad
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Zhure » Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:59 am

For increasing the throwing range of Throwing Mastery, take Point Blank Shot (the prerequisite, for +1 to hit and damage within 30 feet) and then Far Shot to double the range increment on thrown weapons. Still only 20 feet, but a lot better than 10 feet.

-edit- Throwing Mastery does the character's DEX mod in damage. It can theoretically be damage 15 (super-dexterity 10 and DEX 20), for a save DC of 30. Add in PBS (+1 damage), surprise strike (+5 damage), Power Attack (+5 Damage), we're talking a save DC of around 41 against the damage. Throwing mastery's only real drawback is it's somewhat limited range.
"Luminous beings we are... not this crude matter."
Zhure
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Webhead » Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:49 pm

It sounds like you did just fine handling it the way you did. My motto has always been (and much to some player's chagrin) to make a ruling based on my best judgement and experience now and look up the rules later. It's all about fun and drama and exciting action. Study the rules as best you can before and after the game, but don't let page-flipping ruin the pace of your game. :D
"Skeletal Sheep!!? Only George would design a dungeon protected by the undead guardians of a sheep cult!"
Webhead
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Carnifex » Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:54 pm

on the "target his jet boots" call, I'm pretty sure they have rules for damaging items, IIRC they have a damage save equal to their power level ?
Carnifex
Groupie
Groupie

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Archives